Who sells the cheap tickets to Manila, Philippines?

When I worked in Keelung, I heard that the Filipino workers bought their tickets to the Philippines from travel agencies in TPE that specialized in catering to this market. I just went to Manila from Kaohsiung and I paid $416USD round trip/return, which is really expensive considering the distance. TPE to Bangkok cost me $350 and it’s probably three times the distance! I searched it myself on AirChina.com and came up with the exact same fare.

If you know about these travel agencies in TPE, I’d very much appreciate your sharing that info with me.

Thanks!

http://book.cebupacificair.com/Search.aspx

Cebu Pacific all the way. They are not posted on sites like Kayak or Expedia.

[quote=“enn”]When I worked in Keelung (Jilong), I heard that the Filipino workers bought their tickets to the Philippines from travel agencies in TPE that specialized in catering to this market. I just went to Manila from Kaohsiung and I paid $416USD round trip/return, which is really expensive considering the distance. TPE to Bangkok cost me $350 and it’s probably three times the distance! I searched it myself on AirChina.com and came up with the exact same fare.

If you know about these travel agencies in TPE, I’d very much appreciate your sharing that info with me.

Thanks![/quote]

I just came back from Th PI and spent about 10k from TPE-Manila Legaspi Return. That included 5kg overweight and travel insurance. 300bucks and change.

Cebu Pacific is awesome…

Maids get flights on Cebu Air or Spirit of Manilla airlines for NT$5000 or less sometimes. I think average is around $8000.

Spirit of Manilla has flights available next weekend for less than NT $3000 Taoyuan to Clark, 1 1/2 hours north of Manilla.

If you book far enough in advance 4000 NT seems pretty standard for Cebu. I have however had trouble paying for a flight on their website. I ended up booking the trip with an agent while I was in Manila adding about 500NT to the cost. Overall the flight into and out of manila was satisfactory. They do run a budget operation but that’s what enables them to have cheap tickets. They don’t offer first class tickets, no free drinks/food and I never saw a pillow/blanket/headphones handed out. But I’m more interested in the price so those items aren’t important to me. And I do like the orange with yellow uniforms on the stewardesses.

Cebu shows up on skyscanner.net which makes it really easy to see which days are cheap.

Spirit of Manilla has roundtrip Taipei-Angeles City-Return in May for ~NT$4500, refundable and rebookable.

My :2cents: and research. I fly this route at least once a month.

Cebu Pacific

Minimum two-week advance purchase:

Round-trip, w/ travel insurance (169 NT), seat selection (140 NT per seat), no checked bags (very important when booking online) = 4,926 NT out the door.

Minus the “frills” as I like to call them = 4,487 NT

One week or less advance purchase:

R/T, no insurance, no seat selection, no bags = still a bargain at 8,096 NT.

Philippine Airlines

Minimum two-week advance:

12,274 NT just to get on the plane. Dunno what happened over there at PhilAir, but the days of 6-7,000 NT cheapies are gone.

Spirit of Manila

Anytime. $180-200 US (price in USD – as quoted on website). Unless you want to go to Clark, this isn’t worth it. That “one-hour” ride from Manila is a pipe dream. Take my word for it or not. Meanwhile, if you’re doing a last-minute, down n’ dirty, no-budget one-day visa run, you could hang out in Angeles and skip Manila altogether.

The pros and cons of Cebu Pac:

Pro: cheap.
Con: one flight a day which leaves at 1:25 a.m.
Pro: the outbound flight is never completely full.
Con: the return to TPE is at 10:30 p.m. – you arrive at 12:30 a.m.
Pro: getting in and out of both TPE and (NAIA) MNL is super easy at those hours.
Con: in both airports, this departure/arrival gate is always located as far from baggage claim, customs, etc., as physically possible.
Pro: NAIA Terminal 3 (currently only serving Air Asia and Cebu) is spanking new and has places to eat other than (or in addition to Jollibee’s).
Con: Taoyuan Terminal 1 departure lounge is still under renovation, meaning the perfume and duty free shops are open but there’s nothing to eat at that hour – this should change as they’re thisclose to wrapping up the re-mod.
Pro: CePac generally flies Airbus A320-200, so at most you’re dealing with 150 or so other passengers.
Con: the A320-200 has all the comforts of a city bus.

Tips:
If you want to buy drinks or snacks on the flight, make sure to have smaller bills on hand. They accept NT or peso. It’s like 80 NT for a beer. Drop a 1,000 NT note on the flight attendant and it knocks the whole system out of whack as they try to make change.

They aren’t fussy about bringing your own grub on the plane – just no booze.

280 NT for the seat selection is kind of a bargain/blessing if you travel a lot and know where you like to sit.

Try to be one of the last passengers on the plane. Self-evident.

Don’t bother getting fancy or detailed on the Customs Declaration form. Nine out of ten times there won’t be anyone at customs when you arrive at NAIA, or they’ll be out like a light in their seat.

4 Likes

Checking flights for a long weekend Wed-Mon Taipei Taoyuan to/from Manilla looks like Cebu Pacific is around 11,000 (but flight leaves Taipai at 1am), Philippine Air is about 13,000, and EVA is 16,000.

Spirit of Manilla is not currently looking like a healthy airline but they are supposed to be back up in early 2012.

Eva Air currently has a lot of flights for TWD 4,982 round trip with decent daytime flights.

Comparable to this rate is Cebu Pacific which is probably the cheapest most of the time but terrible flight hours leaving at odd hours of the night.

When I add in the cost of check-in luggage, it’s hard for me to justify flying Cebu Pacific.

My last 3 visits to Manila I flew Eva twice and China Airlines. One of the Eva flights was in a brand new 777 - huge personal screens in Economy. Simply wonderful - I kept thinking it was part of this unofficial Pivot to the Philippines that seems to have happened in Taiwan over the past 18 months.

Cebu Pacific has the advantage of landing in Terminal 3, which is the closest of the 3 terminals in NAIA to the city. Then again, the China Airlines flight I took was a code-share with Philippine Airlines going to Manila, and PAL has Terminal 2 all to itself.

In short: I have no plans to fly Cebu Pacific to Manila if I can help it.

1 Like

If you’re transferring to an internal flight, this is a massive advantage. Getting from terminal to terminal is only slightly less awkward than navigating the Amazon rainforest.

1 Like

Agreed. What a nightmare that must be! I have been in heavy traffic as a typhoon approached just off the rotunda next to T3 hoping to catch a flight at T1: 45 min. And I was grateful it was only 45 min. Absolute insanity. I was tempted a couple times to get out and pull my luggage but i was traveling with a 3yo at the time.

3 weeks ago they opened the elevated highway that seems to connect all the terminals. I hope they make a difference. Tolling on the highway began yesterday, I think

[quote=“GooseEgg, post:13, topic:64183, full:true”]
I was tempted a couple times to get out and pull my luggage but i was traveling with a 3yo at the time. [/quote]
I actually did that once, with less than an hour to my flight, figuring it would be quicker to walk. It was, more or less. But a funny thing happened to me on the way to the airport. SUV pulled up alongside (by this time the traffic had thinned out) and said was I going to the airport. Yes I was. Get in, he said, I’ve got friends at the airport who can get you on your flight. Um, OK, worth a punt. He didn’t seem like a psychopath. Turned out he was a Fil-Chinese business mogul (well-known surname) and he did indeed have friends there, who rushed me through. Nice guy.

1 Like

Wow. Nice!

There is a church called Our Lady of the Airways on the intersection where you either go straight on to Terminal 2 or make the right for the homestretch to Terminal 1. It’s just hidden from view from the road.

I haven’t been there, but you can bet many of us are praying to her for an intercession as we are on that stretch of “Tramo” in front of the domestic airport stuck in traffic. Maybe they should spell the name of that road Trauma instead.

Right now Philippines AirAsia for NT$1262 one-way, Cebu Pacific for NT$1468.

Probably the cheapest flight anywhere outside of Taiwan.

Cheers. I saw that. I’m planning to visit my folks next week and I am looking at that AirAsia flight.

Cebu Pacific has flights round trip Taipei to Manila NT$3886.

Philippines Airlines has flights round trip Taipei to Manila NT$3971.

Eva has one way flights to Manila for NT$2156 and other airlines have for under NT$3000.

1 Like

https://news.abs-cbn.com/life/11/02/18/airasia-launches-manila-kaohsiung-flights