Who sends their kids to international schools, anyways?

i would also like more affordable options, im just saying its not as cheap to run a good school as we think.

1 Like

I have a friend whose kid goes to Morrison in Kaohsiung and says there isn’t really a felt Christian element. He says it’s no different from any secular school.

1 Like

There may be some element of “Taiwan tax” in there. Where they tax successful foreign businesses hard.

Even that school is approaching something like 15- 20k USD a year per student.

Yeah, that seems about right.

Here we go again with your nonsense TL.

2 Likes

According to this source, the median income is only 506000 a year which is about 16,000. Assuming both parents earn roughly equal salaries, that’s an entire parents income just for tuition

Did you not see the OP’s salary offer in the first post? He will definitely be making a lot more than median income.

He’s right. At least KAS is like that. I assume TAS is not much different.

(But not just third-world countries. European and North American countries too.)

4 Likes

I do wonder how many people on this forum have had a child study at an international school here themselves like I have?

Based what what? TL’s claims lol. Now it might be fair to say that the USA and Canada are not unlike third world countries though. Fact is a base salary of NT$200k a month is not enough for the OP to pay for tuition for two kids at international schools and living costs let alone trying to save. Someone wrote NT$25k for the family on food per month. Not enough I say. There are other costs like making sure you child has a laptop, clothing, pocket money etc. All these things add up.

2 Likes

Ah sorry it’s two kids. Nevermind

I have friends who currently teach at TAS who previously taught at KAS. They tell me the student demographics in both schools are essentially the same, as one would expect.

After all, they are both American schools in large cities in Taiwan. One would not expect a radical difference in student body demographics. It’s not like we’re comparing Boston to El Paso, Texas.

1 Like

Some have, also several have looked into it, some have even worked there. Myself, I have no relevant experience so am not spamming the thread with useless uninformed posting

Ahem

2 Likes

To get into these schools one must be here on an ARC. Secondly students are tested on English as well as academic tests before they are accepted. TL makes it sound like people just buy a passport and suddenly there kids are native speakers and can pass foreign school tests.

Yes lots of the kids are “Asian” looking but were born and raised in western countries. Some of my son’s classmates at the American school had parents from Korea and Japan. My sons best friends, brother and sister born and raised in Australia to parents who immigrated from Taiwan. Moved to Taichung when they were 14 years old. To TL these are the rich kids whose parents bought some third world country passport lol

I was in the car park at the school and one British chap was lamenting to me how he had moved to Taichung and thought there would be more “international” students in the school. I pointed to my lad who was probably around 60 years away and said Oh I see what you mean, like that Asian kid over there. Yes he replies. My lad walks over and says Hi Pa thanks for picking me up today. British guy cringes oops.

Then of course there are some of the foreign teachers who like to comment on how much wealth they see from the kids they teach or that they drive the average car for non super rich like BMW and Mercedes. Is being wealthy a crime? lol

1 Like

It didn’t sound like that to me at all.

To “buy” a foreign passport, one usually needs to live in that country for a few years. The quickest path to citizenship that I know of is Argentina (2 years) but most countries require 3-7.

Presumably one would gain some level of good English there during that time. If it’s not an English-speaking country, then presumably one would be enrolled in an international school, and still gain some level of good English.

Which is what? That children born and raised abroad go to international schools in Taiwan? Who would have known lol OK My son was born in Taiwan but alas he was not an ROC citizen he was just another foreigner going to a foreign school.

That 90% of the students are Taiwanese with foreign passports, who were born and raised in Taiwan, who only obtained their foreign passports from their parents (and perhaps lived in one other foreign country). They are not expats kids who move to a new country around the world every 2-3 years like most students who go to Hong Kong International School for example.

6 Likes

Sure. My sons classmates teachers assumed his classmates were born in Taiwan cause they looked Asian lol. I remember correcting a teacher at a parent teacher night when the teacher said my sons classmate was from Taichung. I said he is from Sydney Australia born and raised there. The teacher was though he was born and raised in Taichung. Clueless as to where his student was actually from.

Taiwan was not a British colony like Singapore or HK that had British and other international education.

1 Like

You’re providing anecdotal examples based only on what you have experienced personally, which ignores the larger objective facts.

Can someone who goes to TAS have a Western father like you? Sure. Korean or Japanese parents? Sure. Do most of them? No.

1 Like