Who to hell is Douglas Paal?

Dear all :o

Does anyone know who Douglas Paal is…I mean besides that he is the director of the American Institut in Taipei?

After what I have read about him…he is fat,stupid,greedy and selfish ordinary Yankee.

He just sees just the US and its concerns and his personal view of his military education.

Am I right :?:

:unamused:

AIT is what AIT is. They are a pro American organization. They put the interest of the US government first in all matters. Big business and a reemerging military industrial consortium currently control the US government. Are you getting the picture yet?

Actually, when Paal was up for that appointment, there was a lot of opposition from pro-Taiwan lawmakers – in particular, Jesse Helms if I recall – because he was seen as pro-Beijing. His appointment was held up for awhile for that reason.

You mean “Who the heck is Douglas Paal?” Right?

edit your header

[quote=“formosa”]You mean “Who the heck is Douglas Paal?” Right?

edit your header[/quote]

Or perhaps, “Who is Douglas Paal?”

taipeitimes.com/News/archive … 0000125435

[quote=“formosa”]You mean “Who the heck is Douglas Paal?” Right?

edit your header[/quote]

Hell, I don’t know!

Is it in the interest of the US government to allow long-term resident US nationals in Taiwan to renounce their US nationality in order to apply for citizenship in the “Republic of China” when in fact the “Republic of China” is not recognized as a legitimate government under US law???

“Is it in the interest of the US government to allow long-term resident US nationals in Taiwan to renounce their US nationality in order to apply for citizenship in the “Republic of China” when in fact the “Republic of China” is not recognized as a legitimate government under US law???”

Actually I don’t believe the U.S. government cares why or where someone chooses to renounce U.S. citizenship therefore it is irrelevant whether the ROC exists as a legitimate government or not.
IMHO the interest of the U.S. government has been - and always will be - big business.

Just back from vacation in France?

Just back from vacation in France?[/quote]

No, he just hates Americans, and isn’t very articulate about it. We’re all fat, stupid, greedy, and selfish. Amazing how well we’ve done in light of this condition :wink: :wink:

Actually, I might have felt better if TWPatriot were a Frenchman. Then I could understand the comment since anti-Americanism has been so enculturated in France that it is a part of everyday life.

But TWPatriot is Taiwanese, no? Most likely. And he feels this way. Wonder how many others are perpetuating this stereotype of Americans in Taiwan. I never really did feel comfortable with the media’s portrail of ‘foreigners’ here. :x

[quote=“WarMonkey”]
But TWPatriot is Taiwanese, no?[/quote]

He is also a few other things…if you get my meaning… :unamused:

Most folks in Taiwan like Americans, and foreigners in general, despite media portrayals of us as sexual predators and money-grubbers.

There are a few particularly insecure Taiwanese males around who take out their frustrations on us, reasoning that if we weren’t around, their lives would somehow be better. That ever-elusive girlfriend would present herself. That shit job would suddenly turn blissful. I believe the proper term for this kind of person is bigot. Idiot will suffice as well.

Sort of the like a foreigner who has a bad experience with a few Taiwanese people and decides, brilliantly, to hate all Taiwanese. I think we should ship these folks out together on the same boat.

[quote=“Tomas”]Most folks in Taiwan like Americans, and foreigners in general, despite media portrayals of us as sexual predators and money-grubbers.

There are a few particularly insecure Taiwanese males around who take out their frustrations on us, reasoning that if we weren’t around, their lives would somehow be better. That ever-elusive girlfriend would present herself. That shit job would suddenly turn blissful. I believe the proper term for this kind of person is bigot. Idiot will suffice as well.

Sort of the like a foreigner who has a bad experience with a few Taiwanese people and decides, brilliantly, to hate all Taiwanese. I think we should ship these folks out together on the same boat.[/quote]

bigot+idiot=turd?

or is the equation

bigot+idiot=loser?

Sorry, math was never really my thing.

I don’t think the people at AIT care one way or the other. Americans citizens in Taiwan are treated as necessary burden to legitimize their otherwise pro business policies. From what I understand from many American business people in Taiwan, AIT treats American businesses only marginally better that they do individual citizens. So what does AIT do? I have read the Taiwan relations Act and doesn’t really say what their purpose is.

Actually, I might have felt better if TWPatriot were a Frenchman. Then I could understand the comment since anti-Americanism has been so enculturated in France that it is a part of everyday life.

Dunno. In the thread Want to join Taiwanese army he claims to be, apparently, German (since he “finished my training as paratrooper in Germany.”).

Dunno. In the thread Want to join Taiwanese army he claims to be, apparently, German (since he “finished my training as paratrooper in Germany.”).[/quote]

Well, this is Fantasy Island. :unamused: :laughing:

Yeah America is all about big business and the military.

So the next missile crisis ala 1996, all of you will not have a word to say about whether the US “should do something!” and when the carriers come to rescue the American citizenry, you will stand back and say, “wow I guess the US government does something for its citizens after all, wish we could go, but the US is only taking US citizens. Too bad for us.” Right. You’ll all be in the front of the line.

I hope however not to see that day. Douglas Paal is supposed to be quite talented and very capable. There was talk in the beginning that he might be seen as being too pro-Beijing but apparently the US government was satisfied on that score. These debates tend to exaggerate things or minor points to make issues of things for the news but…

So far so good to me. Actually most of the trade office directors here seem pretty top talent. Taiwan is after all a big importer, exporter, source of investment, etc. etc. so most of the diplomats here ironically barring the ones Taiwan has diplomatic relations with are very capable. The others leave something to be desired but then I do not imagine that major investment flows between Taiwan and Burkina Faso or Sao Tome e Principe require the top drawer professionals. Those are saved for Congo and Ghana. Exciting news Nauru may be back in the ROC fold of nations. Better get the checkbook out.

And who would be so dumb as to exchange a US passport for an ROC one when everyone else is stampeding in the other direction? As to not recognizing the ROC, I think that its citizens receive every protection and courtesy while in the US no?

One hell of alot more than Americans receive here.