Who wants to go on a "zombie walk" for ghost month?

Just thinking out loud here… What do Chinese ghosts traditionally look like? Kung fu clothes, a fez, and a piece of yellow paper taped onto the forehead? Or am I confusing ghosts with vampires or something?

And what day do ghosts traditionally walk around? Is it tonight, or at the end of the ghost month?

Pffft, come visit my office any day of the week.

More zombies than you can count.

Very easy to spot: Taipei 101, suits and ties, 7 a.m.

Something like this:

I was under the impression that they don’t walk. They hop.

Its going off right now innit? More wangwang crackers on the streets than you can shake a stick at.

Yeah, this afternoon (Friday) is when most people start setting out sacrifices. But I don’t know what sort of schedule the ghosts themselves are expected to keep.

I think they just look like any other ghosts.

The hopping ones are vampires.

If u want to get to know one, go swimming in a lake or ocean right now.

Some laowai should take their 1st grade students trick-or-treating. I mean there’s so many snacks and guavas and nasty want-want crackers they might as well do something useful with them and give them to the kids. Get a bunch of kids in “Western ghost” costumes and plastic jack-o-lantern buckets, led by Gandalf in the front :roflmao:

I, for one, find this mockery of our host culture’s spiritual practices to be highly disrespectful and demand an immediate apology.

Amen Brother!
These Bolshevik blasphemers should crawl and swim to Red China. Although Ghost Month has a few seemingly absurd elements to it, at it’s heart is ancestor worship, and I don’t see what is wrong with paying respects to one’s forebears.
Good grief. Choke. My place just got enveloped in a massive cloud of smoke. I’m not making this up. I live three doors away from a temple, and they’ve got a massive fire on the go.
Carry on Gentlemen.

[quote=“almas john”]Amen Brother!
These Bolshevik blasphemers should crawl and swim to Red China. Although Ghost Month has a few seemingly absurd elements to it, at it’s heart is ancestor worship, and and don’t see what is wrong with paying respects to one’s forebears.
Good grief. Choke. My place just got enveloped in a massive cloud of smoke. I’m not making this up. I live three doors away from a temple, and they’ve got a massive fire on the go.
Carry on Gentlemen.[/quote]

See, now I’m getting more of an Internal Affairs sort of vibe…

I, for one, find this mockery of our host culture’s spiritual practices to be highly disrespectful and demand an immediate apology.[/quote]

I was thinking this would kinda combine the best of both worlds? No?

Well personally I’d prefer my kids to respect their great grandparents once a year rather than wander round the neighbourhood asking strangers for candy in a now completely meaningless activity.

Halloween used to mean something, now it’s just another commerce fest.

Oh, and all the food that is blessed is later eaten

Keep up the banter though by all means

#clambers off high horse

[quote=“pungnan”]Well personally I’d prefer my kids to respect their great grandparents once a year rather than wander round the neighbourhood asking strangers for candy in a now completely meaningless activity.

Halloween used to mean something, now it’s just another commerce fest.

Oh, and all the food that is blessed is later eaten

Keep up the banter though by all means

#clambers off high horse[/quote]

Naturally, if one’s great grandparents were pirates, cowboys, Disney Princesses, the guy from Scream, or Spider-Man, well, that’s a whole nother Kettle of fish…

You’ve met my family clearly…

You know what would be really sacrilegious? To put on some of those giant god-puppets that you see in the street parades, and make them dance to techno music.

You know what would be really sacrilegious? To put on some of those giant god-puppets that you see in the street parades, and make them dance to techno music.[/quote]

Um…they actually do that already. A Buddhist nun I know posted a video to Fb (over a yr ago…I would retrieve it, but not going to the trouble) of one of those gian puppets dancing to Lady Gaga

You know what would be really sacrilegious? To put on some of those giant god-puppets that you see in the street parades, and make them dance to techno music.[/quote]

Doesn’t everyone know the famous 電音三太子?
youtube.com/watch?v=tNDWyUsbSW8