Who wants to live forever?

Well suck me sideways. Frankenstein won’t be a fairytail for long.

SCIENTISTS have created eerie zombie dogs, reanimating the canines after several hours of clinical death in attempts to develop suspended animation for humans

[quote]The animals are considered scientifically dead, as they stop breathing and have no heartbeat or brain activity.

But three hours later, their blood is replaced and the zombie dogs are brought back to life with an electric shock[/quote]

Hide your daughters.

OK that’s just terrifying. Seriously. I’m all for scientific progress and all that, but I seriously don’t know what to think about this.

I don’t know. Something about this sounds… phony. I guess we’ll see.

Yeah, it does sounds weird. A little too weird.

Reading over it a second time, I see they used some odd terms, and they didn’t actually give the names of any of the scientists they were quoting.

Still, I picked it off of a normally reputable newswire.

I’ll see if I can find any other sources on it.

Well, this is a link to the offical site of the Safar Center for Resuscitation Research which is indeed in Pittsburgh.

I can’t find anything directly linking to this article, but they do have links there to their work in suspended animation, hemorrhagic (traumatic) shock and other highly experimental such things.

What’s the point?

If you die of old age then restarting your body isn’t going to help much. It’ll still be terminally old and will probably stop again in next to no time.

And during the ‘down time’ cells are dying and brain damage will be setting in. People have been resuscitated over an hour after drowning, but a few minutes is usually all you get before it becomes pointless.

I’m much more intrigued by the idea of replacing the bits that have stopped working. Try this story about using printer technology to build new organs.

Or this oneabout growing new teeth.

Restarting a dead body without fixing it seems like a non-starter. Maintaining it properly and keeping it going indefinitely sounds like a distinct possibility. It’s quite amazing to think that by the time most of the people who read this forum need the technology it might actually be there. And if the need arises before the technology is perfected, well let’s not forget that the purpose of the research mentioned by the OP was to put people into suspended animation.

Oh look! Someone else is working on that too.

you know, I think this technology may be used selfishly by families. I love my grandparents. But when they went it was time to go. I would not want them back if they had to live like they were living.
My best friend died 2 years ago. I miss her SO MUCH. But her body didn’t want to be here anymore and it made being alive at all so hard for her.
I can see how this could be used for things like gun shot victims, people who have heart attacks still young, car accidents, ect. But it gives me a pet cemetary/ frankenstine feel. And loretta is right. Brain damage would be immense. If I have to come back as a dumb ass, leave me there.
I suppose they are working towards a medical goal that probably makes more sense, but at the same time we are already so overpopulated. The natural order is life and death. I don’t want to die EVER. But I know that I have to. Even if there was a way to cheat it, it is my respojnsibility to go to make room for the next generation.

Actually, according to the article…

I think the idea is not to resurrect someone that is old and dying but rather someone that is young and has some lethal disease, hoping that in future it can be cured. As well suspending humans would prove useful for space travel.