'Whore' slur in divorce case

the china post yesterdy sunday, no caps on keyboard today, sorry … had a news brief about a woman who won a divorce from her nigerian husband here in taiwan. they had been married 2 years, apple daily had photo and story on saturday, something about he called her ‘‘whore’’ all the time and she finally got her divorce and a settlement of ntd200,000, according to the china post translation of some news story. apple daily called him ‘‘james.’’ in english.

anybody know details of this story. photo had the two of them posing, in happier times, of course, in front of some kind of bookstore, it appeared, where maybe they ran a book shop.

story is not online at post website. but it’s in sunday’s paper back page. news brief.

Is a divorce really newsworthy, lame119?

I’d have been all over the papers as a kid if it were.

Nice to see you back. But Alley’s right – what on earth is the newsworthiness or even discussion-worthiness of this little bit of typical Taiwan media salacious shite?
People, including foreigners, get divorced all the time, so I can only surmise therefore, that this is deemed newsworthy because it involves a blackie. Fucking racist fuckwads. But we already knew that, so what’s your point?

Well, it just might be newsworthy (even if to the media only for its racial element).

From the limited info Lane provided, it appears that the divorce might have been obtained due to the fact that the husband continually referred to the wife as a “whore”.

In general, it is difficult in Taiwan to obtain a statutory divorce (a non-consential divorce). ROC Civil Code Article 1052 lists the following grounds for statutory divorce:

1. Bigamy.
  2. Adultery.
    [color=red]3. One spouse ill-treats the other so as to render living together intolerable.[/color]
  3. One spouse humiliates the linear ascendants of the other spouse such that living together becomes intolerable.
  4. One spouse deserts the other spouse in bad faith.
  5. One spouse has a loathsome incurable disease.
  6. One spouse has an incurable serious mental disease.
  7. One spouse has made an attempt to end the life of the other.
  8. One spouse is uncertain for a period in excess of 3 years as to whether the other spouse is alive or dead.
  9. One spouse has been sentenced to imprisonment for not less than 3 years.

It looks like the divorce might have been granted on a complaint claiming ground [color=red]no. 3[/color] above. That is usually a difficult claim to prove in the Taiwan courts.

From this perspective, this case might be very newsworthy. Even if there was a racist element in the decision, the decision could be referred to or cited by other persons seeking a statutory divorce based on the same claim.

Tigerman, if that’s the reason the story ran, I’ll eat my hat.

yes, what caught my eye in the story was not the divorce, no big deal there, but as tigerman notes, he called his wife '‘pua tsai’ or something i forget the term, meaning whore in their frequent arguments and this is what the judge ruled. he also threated to kill her, according to court records and the post, and often physically abused her, in addition to verbal whore insult. has nothing to do with the colour of his skin, mates.

just curious.

where’s omini. he will know the story.

I agree with you, absolutely. The story no doubt made the news because a black man was accused of mistreating a local woman (let that be a lesson to you other local gals :unamused: ).

However, the story is newsworthy for other reasons, that might not have occurred to the media.

So, don’t eat your hat… :wink:

How truly humanitarian. BTW what is a ‘loathsome’ disease?

loathsome

adj 1: causing or able to cause nausea; “a nauseating smell”; “nauseous offal”; “a sickening stench” [syn: nauseating, nauseous, noisome, offensive, sickening, vile] 2: highly offensive; arousing aversion or disgust; “a disgusting smell”; “distasteful language”; “a loathsome disease”; “the idea of eating meat is repellent to me”; “revolting food”; “a wicked stench” [syn: disgusting, disgustful, distasteful, foul, loathly, repellent, repellant, repelling, revolting, skanky, wicked, yucky]

‘‘pua tsao’’ is the slur he used i think. can anyone write it in chinese here… i thought whore was ‘selling spring’…

The only Taiwanese woman married to a Nigerian I’ve met was a whore. I wonder if it’s the same couple.

Here is the original story:

Taiwan woman divorces abusive Nigerian husband

The Chinese Post Staff (i.e., a translation from vernacular press)

TAIPEI – The Taipei District Court allowed a Taiwanese woman to
divorce her Nigerian husband [“James”] who would often
call her [妓女] “piao
tzu”, which means whore, during their quarrels during their two years
of marriage.

This was reported in the United Daily News and Apple Daily.

The court ruled that the husband’s vulgar language and other violent
behavior constituted grounds for divorce, and the court also demanded
that James pay the wife around NT$200,000 in compensation.

James also threatened to kill his wife, who lived in constant fear,
the papers said.

END STORY

May I ask, what does this one mean?? “Don’t piss off the in-laws”? “My daughter is too good to marry a monkey”??

loathsome

adj 1: causing or able to cause nausea; “a nauseating smell”; “nauseous offal”; “a sickening stench” [syn: nauseating, nauseous, noisome, offensive, sickening, vile] 2: highly offensive; arousing aversion or disgust; “a disgusting smell”; “distasteful language”; “a loathsome disease”; “the idea of eating meat is repellent to me”; “revolting food”; “a wicked stench” [syn: disgusting, disgustful, distasteful, foul, loathly, repellent, repellant, repelling, revolting, skanky, wicked, yucky][/quote]
Wheeeew, thank god we aren’t in Taiwan any more, or else the Hen would have surely left me by now.

That’s be an interesting line of defense against the divorce: trying to prove your wife is in fact a whore.

I wonder if frequently calling your husband a “fucking bastard” would be grounds for divorce if he was in fact born illegitimately.

Turns out I was wrong on the APPLE DAILY report. The APPLE DAILY never reported this story, and his pic was not in that paper. The only story in English that I saw was that small news brief in Taiwan Post last Sunday. Maybe the Chinese papers covered it, too, but i never saw it.

What is the difference, in Mandarin, betweem the words WHORE and PROSTIUTE?

[quote=“lane119”]
Taipei – The Taipei District Court allowed a Taiwanese woman to
divorce her Nigerian husband [“James”] who would often
call her [妓女] “piao
tzu”, which means whore, during their quarrels during their two years
of marriage.[/quote]

The word written above in Chinese characters, which means prostitute, should be read “Jinu,” not “biaozi.” “Jinu” seems to only refer to women who really do sell themselves, while the usage of “biaozi” seems broader. “Biaozi” literally means “slut,” or “whore,” but (I think) it is most commonly used in the broader sense of “bitch.” In other words, a general term for insulting a woman. Also, biaozi is usually said with the prefix “chou,” stinky, to make it “choubiaozi,” or “smelly slut.” Another similar word is “jiannu,” which means, I believe, “low-class woman,” or “slut.”

When a guy wants to really insult a woman, he will usually call her a “choubiaozi” or a “jiannu” rather than a “jinu.” At least that is how it seems from my experience. If anybody else has a different interpretation of these terms, please let me know. I would hate to be using these terms incorrectly.

In Russia we call them блядь! Slap them and drink good Kalashnikov Vodka! Da!

I think we can make a connection between this post and the one about the Rant about Taiwanese Boyfriend. We know how racist many of the Taiwanese can be. How do you think this girl’s family felt when she brought home a foreigner, let alone one who is a bit darker than the average rice farmer? Now her picture is plastered in one of the many crappy local newspapers. She should’ve listen to her racist mom, I hate to say, as it would’ve been more social acceptable for her to have married a physically abusive local man or a pot smoking-English teaching North American.

[quote=“sandman”]Nice to see you back. But Alley’s right – what on earth is the newsworthiness or even discussion-worthiness of this little bit of typical Taiwan media salacious shite?
People, including foreigners, get divorced all the time, so I can only surmise therefore, that this is deemed newsworthy because it involves a blackie. Fucking racist fuckwads. But we already knew that, so what’s your point?[/quote]
What is racist about this?? He called her a whore. You think they made it up because he is (likely) black (there are certainly Nigerians of other racists)?