Who's going to die first?

Which if these famous old geezers is going to pop his clogs first?

• Pope John Paul (Catholic)
  • Prince Rainier (Monaco)
  • BroonAle (Forumosa)

0 voters

Roll up, roll up! Place your bets here.

One is an old guy famous for kissing the tarmac when he arrives anywhere, one is an old guy famous for kissing (and marrying) a famous movie star, and the other is an ageing guy famous for kissing pretty much anything that moves.

I go for the prince, seeing as how he’s already dead – they’re just not switching him off until after the Easter holidays because they don’t want to spoil the gamblers’ fun (really!).

The pope is going tomorrow.

i certainly would not vote for Mr. BroonAle. i enjoy his posts too much.

I don’t think the Pope will be going that easily. Bullets, Parkinson’s Disease, all of that bigoted hatred and narrow-mindedness … nothing can keep that man down … so I say Prince Rainier is going first.

And BTW, why is Prince Rainier a “prince” and not a “king”? That one has always baffled me …

As for BroonAle, all I can say is :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

This is SICK. Sick, sick, sick.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that…

(But seriously, as callous as our sarcastic senses of humor (humour for those who know how to spell, unlike we American and or other heathens), let us all pray for the pontiff. He is UNDENIABLY a man of peace, a man of letters who has mastered more languages than probably any of us, and an important spiritual leader for vast numbers of people across the world, even if we do not count ourselves amongst them.

I have heard that even Muslim spiritual leaders are praying for him. He has made an attempt to reach out to Orthodox and Jewish leaders. It is at times like this that an opportunity to create understanding, compassion and bridges between religions truly exists. Given the amount of strife and misery that conflict between religions has caused, are not such attempts to reach out good things?

I am not a papal or Catholic apologist. I’m sure you can come up with damning counter-arguments. Yes, he has been a conservative leader, and this is deeply disappointing, as it does involve a certain amount of intolerance, bigotry, sexism, and outdated beliefs. You’re free to post slams in this regard; I, in advance, protest not.

But I maintain that to promote progress in this world, it helps to reward the positive, while punishing the negative. Call it Skinnerian shaping, if you wish. So, when you see a Muslim or Catholic leader willing to apologize to or pray for the other, or another religion, please praise it. When you see the opposite, I hope you will oppose it. This pope’s legacy will be judged for what it is, and deservedly so.

That said, I do admire the man, for his scholarship, his phenomenal mastery of languages, his attempt to reach out in a more populist manner for what has traditionally been a stodgy, overly conservative, even medievalist institution. And his determination to push ahead with his role, with his duties, despite his great difficulties, his medical setbacks.

what a sick degenerate thread! love you guys!

Pop goes the pope.
Are you sorry?
Nope.

I like the Pope. We share the same birthday. I don’t like this thread. :frowning:

Pope John Paul I (October 17, 1912

The Pope is someone who pretends to promote peace, help the poor, and serve mankind … while at the same time preaching intolerance, bigotry, sexism, and outdated beliefs. Considering how many “loyal followers” he has, that’s a scary thing. Unfortunately, with his time at the head of the papacy being so long, he has ensured that his successor will be just as conservative and backward looking as him. I won’t be shedding any tears, nor do I see any hope of change and openness in the Catholic Church in my lifetime. Now, if HH The Dalai Lama were to die, I think that would be a great loss to all of mankind.

If he makes it past the 3rd of this month, (April) I’ll be surprised.

On the other hand: if they hook him up to the feeding tube that was not hooked up to and not feeding that American chick for the past two weeks–she got nothing, not water, no food–he may live for another month. Otherwise, change my bet to the 2nd. That’s today, isn’t it?

[quote]There are Jews in the world.
There are Buddhists.
There are Hindus and Mormons, and then
There are those that follow Mohammed, but
I’ve never been one of them.

I’m a Roman Catholic,
And have been since before I was born,
And the one thing they say about Catholics is:
They’ll take you as soon as you’re warm.

You don’t have to be a six-footer.
You don’t have to have a great brain.
You don’t have to have any clothes on. You’re
A Catholic the moment Dad came,

Because

Every sperm is sacred.
Every sperm is great.
If a sperm is wasted,
God gets quite irate.

CHILDREN:
Every sperm is sacred.
Every sperm is great.
If a sperm is wasted,
God gets quite irate.[/quote]

Well, I’m not gonna weep over someone who, through his dogmatism, caused so much pain for uneducated and vulnerable to religious manipulation, millions of poor African, Latin American, and Filipina women. A lifetime of chains because of his bullshit about how contraception is a sin. One of the chief causes of poverty - the Catholic Church has helped create poverty in the third world with their anti-birth control policies.Inexcusable. Doing the devil’s work in the name of God.

Yeah, that must be it. :unamused:

Yeah, maybe the pope is all great and all, but at 84 years of age and a not-to-healthy body, why anyone would want to pray so he stays alivve?
According to his religion he his finally going to meet his maker, I though everyone including him ought to be really excited.
He’ll be gone today. Amen!

What, Monkey, you’re denying that overpopulation is a problem and one of the causes of poverty in the third world? The Catholic Church’s ignorant and medieval policies on birth control only help perpetuate the problem. Most Catholics in the developed world simply ignore the Pope on this issue - most Catholics in America and Europe go ahead and use birth control, whatever the Church says. That’s not so true in the parts of the developing world where their faith is more than nominal, where people actually take their religion and what the Pope says seriously. The Church can be a progressive or reactionary force in Latin America and the Philippines; it’s up to their leadership, and on this issue they’ve done much more harm than good.

I wonder if BroonAle advocates birth control? Prolly, but not the kind even the most-lapsed Catholic would want to practice. Societally-imposed celibacy is not birth control.

Sorry, BroonAbstains, just trying to get the thread back on the hunourous track it was intended to take.

You stated that overpopulation is the chief cause of poverty in third world countries and this is due to the Roman Catholic Church and it’s stance on birth control. I think this is oversimplyfing the problem and frankly, a little silly. What about inadequate social/government programs and most importantly the severe lack of quality education? People are hungry not because of lack of availability of food, or overpopulation, but because they are too poor to afford the food. Also, what about inefficient agricultural practices, war, famine, drought, over-fishing, poor crop yield, lack of democracy and rights, etc.? If overpopulation was the chief cause of poverty then China would be the poorest country in the world.
The facts are that nearly a billion people entered the 21st century unable to read a book or sign their names. Less than one per cent of what the world spent every year on weapons was needed to put every child into school by the year 2000 and yet it didn’t happen. 20% of the population in the developed nations, consume 86% of the worlds goods. A few hundred millionaires now own as much wealth as the world’s poorest 2.5 billion people. As you know, the list goes on and on.

Becuase Monaco is a principality, not a kingdom.

Brian

[quote=“igorveni”]Yeah, maybe the pope is all great and all, but at 84 years of age and a not-to-healthy body, why anyone would want to pray so he stays alivve?
According to his religion he his finally going to meet his maker, I though everyone including him ought to be really excited.
He’ll be gone today. Amen![/quote]

:bravo: :bravo: