Who's got VISTA? Reviews?

Anyone running VISTA? There’s been some related discussion within the Technology Forum, but I’m thinking about getting a new system very soon and would like to hear what anyone might have to say about Microsoft’s latest OS.

Anything to look out for?

Its good. Get it if your computer can do it. But get more Rams.

Vista should run very smoothly on a modern system with 2 gigs of RAM. I’m running it, and very happy with it.

Plan carefully. The resources there will help you assess the extent to which your current hardware, software, and firmware is compatible.

I agree with all of the above posters. I was a beta tester for Microsoft and running the beta version on an Dell laptop built for XP was pretty painful. Later, I got a copy of the release version, added more RAM to my fairly new desktop and found that it ran pretty well, with a couple caveats.

As of now, a lot of third-party manufacturers aren’t providing support for their products. I had to purchase 3 different NEW wireless cards to find one that worked with my configuration. Some cards that were supposed to be supported didn’t work, or didn’t come with the right software, and the software that was available was only to be found online (good thing I’ve got 2 computers). Finally, I found a card that worked. It was really annoying.

Now on boot, it only loads one of out three times… it’s bizarre.

Buy as much ram as you can get.

So, since you’re buying a new system, it shouldn’t have these problems, but they’re things to be aware of. It’s a nice OS, but at the same time, it’s just made me realize I probably need a mac anyway…

Thanks for the opinions, suggestions, and advice. Muchly appreciated.

I’m going to buy a new desktop computer, probably this week.
Any concerns about the various choice of motherboards? More specifically, any motherboards to avoid?

I love putting together systems. Tell us your budget and needs and I can recommend some parts for you.

I’m no pro on putting together systems, and don’t keep up with the latest technology month to month, year to year, but the last time I bought a system, about 4 years ago, I bought all the parts individually and put it together myself.

My needs are simple, but basically I just want a kick-ass system for a few years. I play some EA Sports games, hopefully they’ll work on Vista, and so I do need a decent graphics card. I don’t want to go overboard, but I don’t have budget constraints either. I certainly don’t want to cut corners to save a few thousand NT.
Anything else you need to know?

Well. Sure. that’s a good start. Are you a real AMD or Intel fan, or do you want the bestest right now?
Do you want power or silent or a mix?
And can you afford a Quad core? They don’t do much now, and are expensive, but they are more future proof.
And lastly do you want the extravagances of 2 video cards or multiple monitors?

CPU: Intel Core2Duo E6600 (dual) or Q6600 (quad!)
GPU: Nvidia 8600GTX (non-over clocked) or 8800GTS 320MB (or more!)
M/B: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 or ASUS P5N-E SLi 650i (both good high middle end)
RAM: G.Skill DDR2 800 HZ (good over clockers) or Corsair XMS2 PC5400C4 2GB min 4GB better
Antec Truepower Trio 650W or similar (get one that is quiet! these can get noisy)
Tuniq Tower 120 or Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme CPU Cooler + Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound- For cooling the CPU
250Gb hard drive times 2 or 4 (realy! 4 is good) SATA with 16meg buffer. Segate is good. Or get 2 500Gb ones.

Case: Get one you like the look of.

I’ve used both AMD and Intel before. No preference really.
What’s the deal with the Quad Core? I don’t mind buying for the future, but don’t want to be going in a direction that isn’t necessarily going to happen either.
I was under the impression you didn’t actually need two video cards to run two monitors. No? I only have one video card now but can hook up two monitors to it. I am planning on buying another monitor as well, as my current Viewsonic CRT will just not die! I’m going to pick up a nice flat screen 22" or so.

What Chicken said. I built a computer to those specs, and Vista runs like butter on it. I bought the MSI P6N SLI motherboard, also with the nVidia 650i chipset, and it’s been a great motherboard. That G.Skill HZ ram is excellent, and cheap. Regarding cooling, on www. anandtech.com no other air cooling solution has beat that Thermalright cooler. I also went with the Corsair PSU, almost nothing beats it in it’s wattage category. 320GB harddrives currently seem like the best bang for the buck.

Have fun.

Thanks again Chicken, jianadaren2006, etc.
If I may further inquire…any idea what I’m looking at price-wise here, using the info/choices from page 1 of this thread?
Armed with a printout, I’m going to Gwang-Hwa Market tomorrow to check things out. Any ballpark figure would be great.

I just got a new PC and it flies. Really, really fast.

Intel Core 2 Extreme
2GB RAM
4 x 250Gb harddrives set up in RAID 1.
Nvidea 7300 video card, running 2 LCDs, 1 @ 1280x1024 the other @ 1440x900. Monitors are color calibrated with a Spyder2Pro.
OS is 64bit Win XP.

Photoshop CS3 opens in about 2 seconds. Everything else is near enough to instant. It cost me $37K from Nam www.nationwide.com.tw

[quote=“Mer”]Anyone running VISTA? There’s been some related discussion within the Technology Forum, but I’m thinking about getting a new system very soon and would like to hear what anyone might have to say about Microsoft’s latest OS.

Anything to look out for?[/quote]

I had it for a couple weeks, then I ran an update and it fudged up, now I dont have it anymore…I bought the computer off someone that downloaded it, it was a legit copy too…

Am taking it off the wife’s brand new laptop. Skype doesn’t work properly, it keeps saying “not enough memory” (1GB), and the Chinese IME is shit. It was an extra 4400 NT for Windows XP Pro and now I wish we’d paid it. IMHO there wasn’t really anything wrong with 2000. I had it on a machine from when it was launched for five years and it never blue screened. And the machine it was on was one I put together from leftover socks found in the washing machine. Amazing.

[quote=“cfimages”]I just got a new PC and it flies. Really, really fast.

Intel Core 2 Extreme
2GB RAM
Nvidea 7300 video card, running 2 LCDs, 1 @ 1280x1024 the other @ 1440x900. Monitors are color calibrated with a Spyder2Pro.
OS is 64bit Win XP.

Photoshop CS3 opens in about 2 seconds. Everything else is near enough to instant. It cost me $37K from Nam www.nationwide.com.tw[/quote]
$37K is just the computer itself, right? That can’t include two monitors, right?

[quote=“Mer”][quote=“cfimages”]I just got a new PC and it flies. Really, really fast.

Intel Core 2 Extreme
2GB RAM
OS is 64bit Win XP.

Photoshop CS3 opens in about 2 seconds. Everything else is near enough to instant. It cost me $37K from Nam www.nationwide.com.tw[/quote]
$37K is just the computer itself, right? That can’t include two monitors, right?[/quote]

Yeah, $37K is just the computer. I already had the monitors and the Spyder2. I should have been clearer.

I agree with people’s comments:

1. You need at least 2GB ram.

2. Caveat: third party products are still not all compliant with Vista.

So depending on your needs, I might recommend XP for the time being if your software is not working. If you can find alternative, compliant software, then Vista should be fine.

I’m waiting for the first service pack before I move to Vista. cfimages, your rig sounds good. I have an Athlon XP 64 running at 2.2Ghz with 2GB of RAM, but no RAID, and CS2 does take some time to open. Mind you, once it’s open I never close it unless my machine has to reboot, so that’s not an issue. Memory efficiency within CS2 is at 100%, so that’s fine.

I’ve almost finished putting together my new rig, which will have a dual core Athlon 5600 running at 2.8Ghz, and 4GB of RAM. I only need to purchase the CPU and another 2GB of RAM. I’m looking forward to Vista’s better use of RAM over XP.