Why are foreigners habitually late in Taiwan?

Andrew0409 said: Usually people who buy old stuff…

Yea Imma going to guess that would be included.

1 Like

I think we need to know what stuffs the OP was selling…a used coffee cup and some coathangers? a Betamax of Debbie Does Dallas?

2 Likes

Yes being punctual is a very British thing as compared to the continent Germans aside. Although Brexit is not happening with the punctuality with what one would expect.
In Taiwan they have a famous phrase “Cha Bu Dwo” so the Taiwanese are never late.

Bingo. This one.

Don’t put up with people who are perpetually late. Once is okay, but if it’s a habit it means they don’t care about you as much as you do them. Or they actively dislike you and are sending a passive-aggressive message.

2 Likes

I buy almost everything I can as second-hand or repair things because I like to save money and reduce what’s going to the landfills. I’m always on time and frequently the sellers are not. Second-hand or new has nothing to do with how you act. I’d guess about 20% of us are punctual and follow through.

3 Likes

British punctual? Lol

Right on time with that comment there buddy.

I’m ridiculously punctual. Every single footy practice for example I’m first there. Every pub meet up, I’m first there, pretending not to be Billy Nomates. I hate myself for it.

That’s just you getting a head start

I’m the same, but much less British about it. I’m never late. Always on time or 10-15 minutes early to every function. It’s just my way.

i’ve had one guy who was an hour late. i went to buy a hoover from him. i turned up at the time he gave me, to which he decided he still wanted to use the hoover for another hour. the bastard.

there was another foreigner who was majorly late too. which was a bit comical because he was staying right next to the place of meeting.

sneak a couple in before it’s your shout. none to complain.

I didn’t say everyone. So if it’s not you, it’s not you. But my experience with selling my stuff was almost always negative. People are late and a lot of SE Asians low ball and haggle too much and unreasonably.

Because people who buy antiques fit my description in this context?

Just make sure you are yourself 30 to 45 mins there later than the time you set up. Problem (mostly) solved.

Italians, Spaniards … mostly Mediterranean types. Domani, mañana is another day!:wink:

1 Like

The Americans have rocked up late for a couple of world wars.

Oooh, BD’s feeling controversial.

3 Likes

They weren’t World Wars until the Americans rocked up.

Yes, they were. The involvement of the USA is not a prerequisite for a World War. There would have been a lot more of them in recent decades if that were the case.

Rocked up/forced into is a matter for debate.

I don’t get the logic of that bit.

I think Canada, Australia, UK, Gerrmany, Italy, France , Russia, China, India, New Zealand, South Africa, Brazil, Mexico,Philippines, Pakistan, Greece, Yugoslavia, at war was a fair proportion involved. Probably missed a few.