Why are Taiwanese dogs so unfriendly?

I’ve been chased by dogs on both bikes and scooters here. A few months back I met an Aussie backpacker who said he had encountered the same problem. I haven’t had any problems with unleashed dogs while on foot though, which is a bit odd.

To answer the original question, they’re unfriendly because the Taiwanese aren’t so friendly themselves, not IMO. They love spewing that crap to any foreigner who’ll buy it. I haven’t. I just don’t see it.

[quote=“melysnl”]I’ve been chased by dogs on both bikes and scooters here. A few months back I met an Aussie backpacker who said he had encountered the same problem. I haven’t had any problems with unleashed dogs while on foot though, which is a bit odd.
[/quote]

Not odd at all actually.

When on scoot or bike, you are a fast moving object which gets the dog all excited. The simple fact that he chases you does not necessarily means he has some sort of violent intent towards you.

I have gotten kinda good at riding through/around packs of dogs on my scoot. If I spot them, before I get to them, I stop and make them know I am a human being and with my posture tell them who is boss. But this HAS to be done before they get all excited by you. One the dog is fixated (they are pretty simple creatures) and sees you as this big moving thing to chase, slowing down is a BAD idea.

But when walking, you’re not that big a deal to them, that’s why you only have had this problem when on 2 wheels.

[quote=“Confuzius”][quote=“melysnl”]I’ve been chased by dogs on both bikes and scooters here. A few months back I met an Aussie backpacker who said he had encountered the same problem. I haven’t had any problems with unleashed dogs while on foot though, which is a bit odd.
[/quote]

Not odd at all actually.

When on scoot or bike, you are a fast moving object which gets the dog all excited. The simple fact that he chases you does not necessarily means he has some sort of violent intent towards you.

I have gotten kinda good at riding through/around packs of dogs on my scoot. If I spot them, before I get to them, I stop and make them know I am a human being and with my posture tell them who is boss. But this HAS to be done before they get all excited by you. One the dog is fixated (they are pretty simple creatures) and sees you as this big moving thing to chase, slowing down is a BAD idea.

But when walking, you’re not that big a deal to them, that’s why you only have had this problem when on 2 wheels.[/quote]
What about when you are running fast, not jogging?
I reiterate, if you are taking a dog to a hiking trail, put it on a leash, and hold it on your right side (which is the far side from people approaching. You must have responsibility over your pet.

[quote=“Kea”][quote=“Confuzius”][quote=“melysnl”]I’ve been chased by dogs on both bikes and scooters here. A few months back I met an Aussie backpacker who said he had encountered the same problem. I haven’t had any problems with unleashed dogs while on foot though, which is a bit odd.
[/quote]

Not odd at all actually.

But when walking, you’re not that big a deal to them, that’s why you only have had this problem when on 2 wheels.[/quote]
What about when you are running fast, not jogging?
I reiterate, if you are taking a dog to a hiking trail, put it on a leash, and hold it on your right side (which is the far side from people approaching. You must have responsibility over your pet.[/quote]

I think we are talking about 2 different things here.

1. Stray dogs (me and the other poster)
  2. Owned dogs (you)

2 different things.

BUT, do not expect Taiwanese people to behave responsibly, especially when it comes to animals. Its a huge step for them not to be barbecuing their pets, let alone walking them on leashes. But that is another discussion.

Yeah, I know that, just giving one side of the argument that’s not really discussed, but I think is relevant. Also, the OP said this:

The issues regarding stray dogs have been done to death. And to solve that issue, animal rights organisations need to fix the people first, then the animals. A fact they seem to ignore.

[quote=“Kea”]Yeah, I know that, just giving one side of the argument that’s not really discussed, but I think is relevant. Also, the OP said this:

The issues regarding stray dogs have been done to death. And to solve that issue, animal rights organisations need to fix the people first, then the animals. A fact they seem to ignore.[/quote]

I don’t think they ignore it at all, I know a lot of the animal rights activists here in Taichung and they all advocate educating people.

But, you have to understand, how do you think Taiwanese people feel about a bunch of laowai coming in and educating them on how not to be assmonkeys when it comes to animals? And what venues do they have for it?

Due to my wife’s suggestions, the school she works at is actually now incorporating animal education into its curriculum and doing workshops to teach the children about how animals are to be treated.

So no, its not a fact they ignore, but when you see animals mistreated in front of you…you think going up to the owners and speaking to them in English or broken Chinese is going to help?

But we have bought actual dog food for many of our neighbors’ pets, as well as toys, leashes, etc, since they are so retarded as to only feed their animals leftovers and not play with them. Unfortunately, there is a long way to go.

Good for you.
I never mentioned Laowai. It’s predominantly up to the locals and their organisations, the oldies with all their time free, some foreigners and their local families (as you say) and the govt.
I never said they ignore it, just they seem to ignore it. I probably could have clarified that, but you have, thanks.
The point that is most important is that owning another animal must be seen as the responsibility it is. It must be controlled by govt organisation, taxed, animals chipped/DNA stored on central database, animals that are found stray moved to a special outdoor park (and neutered too)-and the owner financially punished-and also restricted for several years from owning another pet.
First, eliminate the cause, then treat the symptom that remains.
I find it abhorrent to see the way some of these stray animals suffer in a very challenging environment. Good on the people who help them.
And yes, isn’t it obvious that if we take a pet, we should exercise it daily! You woulda thought so, anyway.

I agree with all of this.

Outlaw puppy and cat mills. Any dog/cat you have must be an adopted stray…no reason to buy a puppy or kitten when there are so many millions of strays roaming the place.

Every dog/cat you own must be chipped and neutered.

I agree with all of this. But passing laws in Taiwan is just for face and is a total joke. Like I said, its a big step for these people not to be eating their pets, really progressive, we should give Taiwan a big pat on the back it…but don’t expect much more from them till they evolve another 100 years or so.