Why are Taiwan's faults always covered up by expats and the press?

I’m not obsessed with defending Taiwan’s pollution. (I wonder why you got the impression that I’m defending it.) I’m just obsessed with convincing you that people in the west don’t have much interests in Taiwan’s domestic issues, maybe with the same reason that Taiwanese people don’t have much interests in domestic issues of countries in eastern Europe.

big deals to us aren’t necessarily big deals to others.

I could make similar posts on immigration issues, but air pollution has been talked from the beginning in this thread and there are some other threads talking on it, so this was an easy one to pick up.

international media cover those issues because they are relatively terrible. I don’t think they would pick up Maleysia particularly if those things were happening commonly in Asia and eastern Europe.

Why don’t they also report on Malaysia’s air pollution, which is also a big issue? I guess it is because forest fire and deforestation has more news value.

don’t know if in eastern Europe, but surely somewhere in Europe.

Taiwanese media doesn’t report smogs of eastern Europe, but if a similar smog would happen in Scandinavia, I guess it would be reported in Taiwan.

these don’t need to be overlooked, and I agree more media coverage on any issues may be better, but people cannot be interested in everything happening in the world.

in the grand scheme of pollution, population decline and migrant worker abuse, countries with more impacts on these issues get more international attention than Taiwan. They don’t pay much attention to Taiwan is different from them covering up Taiwanese negative issues.

2 Likes

Don’t ever call her a bro, or a man.

2 Likes

@Tando’s probably my favourite Forumosan :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

why

1 Like

Why only probably?! I guess because I don’t have a reliable ranking system for this? But also, probably, because you’re always so helpful when foreigners like me need help from someone who can read Chinese and knows the local system so well!

exactly

ok. you’re my favourite, but don’t tell anyone :shushing_face:

1 Like

I’m satisfied :smile:

1 Like

this is covered too.

If water rationing will begin, it might be reported once too. I’m sure it won’t be reported everyday in the west as it is in Taiwan, though.

they might report their life without water. Are there any in Taichung?

Whoa, I didn’t realize Tando had a posse, I meant fan club, on here.

1 Like

Lol, why are you obsessed with convincing me about that? Just put out your opinion and enjoy the discussion. I can’t be bothered arguing over every little thing anymore.

Typical white night.

why? Not much reasons. Just because it was fun.

seems you know people have their own priorities on what they are bothered by.

hiiiiiiiiiii tando
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ImperfectAbsoluteHoiho-max-1mb.gif

Reuters is reporting on Taiwan every day now.

Even Pegatron moving to the USA is news.

What’s being largely missed by the ‘Taiwan`s is the best | #1’ crowd isn’t that people are complaining. Pointing out issues is the first step to getting those issues rectified. Look at the US to see what happens when issues keep getting swept under the rug.
Most people here who’re pointing out that air quality is bad is because they like this place and would want to stay long term.

However, if those people leave because air quality is bad then it’s another step back for TW since this place really needs foreigners.

It’s not criticism for it’s own sake, but as a way to bring the potential out in TW. since there’s just an apathy or laid back attitude towards things like air quality etc.

Because end of day this place is safe, moderately developed and many people would want to stay longer if certain issues keep improving.

4 Likes

This guy gets it.

Is that like a Midnight Sun kind of thing? A really intense full moon? Too much artificial light? Or are we witnessing a convergence of the “uses the term white knight” kind of derpy and the “doesn’t differentiate between homonyms” kind of derpy?

Are you a cocktail maker?

The negativity is over the top and is driven by a combination of factors (among which are real and current conditions in Taiwan). Some of the things people complain about, like the traditional culture, are things it’s not any of your business to be changing.

The European Chamber of Commerce predicts that Taiwan’s tech salaries will increase by double digits. Construction workers have already seen their pay increase by 1/3 and machine tool operators with no education are making $20K greenback a year.

In a few years the food will taste better, the weather will be 100x nicer, and everyone will be talking about how lucky Taiwan is and partying like it’s 2012.

1 Like