Why are Taiwan's trucks blue?

Hi, this question’s been bugging me for some time… so i thought I’d post it, and let it bug you…

Is there a law in Taiwan that dictates the required colour of small trucks (blue) and taxis (yellow)?

Does anyone know the reasoning behind the decision?

Cheers,

The Big Babou

You’d be blue too if you had an ass full of betel nuts.

2 Likes

Are they really all blue? Failed to notice that …

Guess taxis have to be yellow. Some countries have regulations so that they can be easily identified as such.

I think all taxis must be yellow by law. I remember when “Volkswagon blue” was the cheapest colour in which to get a van in the UK, but I don’t know if it’s law or thrift or something else.

Because on the road they’re always stuck up ones ass like a blue-arsed fly.

yeah, most of the prosperity trucks are blue. why? because most of the trucks in china are also blue.

but why are most of the trucks in china blue? i don’t know. most of the small fishing boats were also painted blue(the same up in damshui),the same for most external household doors. maybe blue is the cheapest pigment. maybe it is something back in the culture. the little red school houses stateside were red because red was the cheapest. that’s what they told me back in the paint shop.

I have a certain amount of influence around here, that’s all. :wink:

The same question has been bugging me for years too.

The theory that red and blue are the cheapest would make sense, since red blue and yellow are the three primary colors that can not be mixed or formed by any combination of other colors (all other colors are supposedly derived from these 3 primary colors)

Blue collar - blue truck?

…and why are pedestrian overpasses always a hideous green, and bridges, especially suspension bridges, always red?

So you can tell them apart ?

1 Like

A matter of bad taste I would say. :wink:

That’s due to the color of the rust protection paint (red lead), but not sure why that paint gotta be red (might be due to the chemicals inside).

I had thought that some bridges, like the Golden Gate, were red so that they could be better seen through the fog.
The Tokyo Tower, which is a copy of the Eiffel Tower, is red, but the Eiffel Tower is not.

The Tokyo Tower is actually red and white (for aviation safety I guess) as I checked myself during Chinese New Year :wink: but is not that much exposed to sea climate as the S.F. bridge. Nothing to do with fog IMHO.

because they all support the Pan-Blue.

Lead antifouling marine paint comes in quite a few colours. I have seen red, white, blue, and black, in chandlers in the UK. Red is the most common though.

Taxis must be painted yellow in Taipei. Years ago they weren’t and taxis were all sorts of colors - blue, green, red, whatever. And they were all these tiny Yulongs which looked exactly like all the other tiny Yulongs on the street. It was often impossible to tell what was a taxi and what was just another car.

As for the trucks being blue. I doubt there is a law they must be blue.

It would certainly be a lot more coloful if the truck owners would paint up their trucks like in the Philippines, India and elsewhere. About the most colorful vehicles on the road here are the long distance buses. They sometimes have some pretty creative color schemes, don’t they?

Actuallly, rust-inhibiting paint is now available in almost any colour.

My guess as to the insipid colour of bridges is that the green was chosen because it was deemed to be a psychologically “relaxing” colour, simulating a landscape of trees rather than the harsh concrete jungle…

I’m not joking, but I do have contempt for the engineers who designed those bridges.

It doesn’t stop there… go to any park and you’ll see such engineering masterpieces such as the concrete “log” chair (painted brown) and concrete “bamboo” ballustrading (painted light green)…

I love my country.

I like the uniformity. When I see anything either blue or yellow in my mirror or peripheral vision, I swerve away from it automatically. If the trucks were too many different colors, I’d be afraid of everything that moved.

Yours, Pavlov’s Dog

BTW, I’ve driven both taxis and 1.5 ton blue trucks here and it’s an experience which I can compare only to the parting of the Red Sea.
The other reason I can think of for them being of uniform color is so that the drivers can more easily find their weapons, er vehicles when cross-eyed from excesses of betelnut and whisby…