Why are the bank passbook printers always busted?

Why oh why does it seem like the bank passbook printers for customer use always out of order? :fume: I have accounts at two different banks and neither one of them seem to be able to figure out how to keep the public printers in working condition. I do a lot of my banking online, which means that when I finally get around to banking in person, I have to wait for sometimes several pages to print out. I could update the passbook myself periodically except the machines are almost always out of order, which means I’d have to stand in line and waste a teller’s time getting it updated. Seems like that they’d save money on teller’s time alone by keeping these in order.

Does this happen at other banks or am I just unlucky?

My experience is with:

Entie Commercial Bank Minquan Branch
Taiwan Business Bank Jilin Branch
Taiwan Business Bank Nanjing Branch

There is one for an account I have right opposite my office, placed next to the ATM machine. It has never worked in three years. I assume they don’t take it out because then there would be a hole in the wall. Annoying, though because the next closest is some distance away.

Wow, three years never working is pretty bad. What I mean by ‘almost never working’ is that it’ll be fine maybe once a month and out of order all the other times.

[quote=“jlick”]Why oh why does it seem like the bank passbook printers for customer use always out of order? :fume: I have accounts at two different banks and neither one of them seem to be able to figure out how to keep the public printers in working condition. I do a lot of my banking online, which means that when I finally get around to banking in person, I have to wait for sometimes several pages to print out. I could update the passbook myself periodically except the machines are almost always out of order, which means I’d have to stand in line and waste a teller’s time getting it updated. Seems like that they’d save money on teller’s time alone by keeping these in order.

Does this happen at other banks or am I just unlucky?

My experience is with:

Entie Commercial Bank Minquan Branch
Taiwan Business Bank Jilin Branch
Taiwan Business Bank Nanjing Branch[/quote]

Jlink, are you trying to fit the passbook into the slot where the card usually goes? If so, I think I might know why it’s not working.

Seriously though, I’ve never had any problems.

Iris,

I know how to use the passbook printer! And I’m talking about the printers they have in the lobby, not in the ATM machines (these are company accounts so they don’t have ATM cards). What I mean is that most of the time I go in they have a white sheet of paper taped over the machine saying it’s out of order.

Have you filed complaints? Talked to the branch manager and threatened to move your money elsewhere?

The passbook machine at Fubon bank in the Forumosa Plastics building one south of Bank of America (SE corner, Dunhua + Minsheng) has always been kept in good working condition in my experience (perhaps 10 years?). No guarantees, but you might consider switching banks. Or go to online banking, e.g., HSBC Direct.

No problems here either with Fubon Bank, has always worked as far as I can remember.

The one (Cathay United) around the corner from my office was broken for about three months before they finally got around to fixing it. On occasion it doesn’t work, but it works most of the time.

Three months? I think 12 hours is reasonable.