Why are they digging up Danshui Boardwalk?

They’ve cordoned off the grass and been digging all summer. Now there’s nowhere to sit.

Are they going to stick in a load of huts selling squid and sugar cakes? That would suck. Looks like they’re going to destroy it.

Sitting on the grass watching the sun go down was one of the joys of living in Taiwan. Can’t believe they did that.

You mean the one that goes all the way over to Guandu? I suspect because it’s rotten. There are huge great holes in the wooden crosspieces and people buried in the mud underneath hollering for help. I might have lied about the second bit.

I reckon they’ll just repair it. The basic structure looks sound.

No, my mistake… I don’t mean the wooden track through the mangrove swamps to Hongshulin. I’m talking about the grassy park opposite GuanYin mountain near the MRT. You can sit with the sea in front and the shops behind you. If you’ve been in Danshui over the past 6 months you must’ve seen it. They have barricaded off the whole area and are excavating. I ignored it for ages, but today I had a horrifying vision that they would put wooden shacks everywhere.

You mean the new green area that they added a couple of years back ? Probably some structural issue , land sinking or something.

oh … haven’t noticed. I live in Danshui but don’t often wander in that direction.

There’s usually a green construction board that tells you what’s going on. I’m going approximately in that direction later so I’ll have a look.

BrianJones,

I’ve been there 4 years and its always been there. I mean the grassy part to the left of this pic.

Finley, yes there is an information board there. I didn’t check it last time. Hopefully they’re just repairing the area, and not developing commercially.

That grassy part is relatively new and used to be river - I would have guessed a few years, but since you’ve lived here four years, it’s probably five or six years old. Before that the whole waterfront was narrow; that berm (?) / harbour area is also new, and the boats were all tied up in the area where the grass now is. The bottlenecks on the weekend used to be something fierce in that area, and I guess it’s bad again now.

My guess is the same as Brianjones’s - I suspect they need to shore it up or something. I was surprised last week to discover it’s all blocked off.

1 Like

My Chinese isn’t great, but it appears to be a combination of landscaping and engineering works for the river.

There’s also a little picture further along that suggests they’re going to put some sort of park area there. As the OP said there wasn’t really anything wrong with it to begin with, but I guess the city gov’t has some year-end money to waste.

Image22

Not waste. If not all money is spent, they will be given less money next year.

Sure, I get that. It’s just a pity they can’t think of something more useful to do with it. Like cleaning up the fetid sewage conduits that dump unprocessed shit into the Danshui estuary.

1 Like

I am watching tv tourism programs from Japan. Most cities have these clear water canals. I am told Xindian looked like that. Pity such an endeavor would not have lasting effect. Concrete is all they know. I bet the park will lose most of its greenery.

The Horror…

As others say, you can’t get much better than grass. I hope they don’t screw it up… and no stalls selling squid. We don’t need any more squid. I hope they don’t turn it into Bali waterfront…

Grass is fine. Leave it as it is…

1 Like

Grass harbors ticks and other creepy crawlies.

Yep concrete = dollars.

If there was money in grass it would be a green and pleasant land!

3 Likes

… and easy to maintain!

No, it really isn’t. Concrete is incredibly expensive to construct and maintain, whereas grass costs next-to-nothing and maintains itself.

The main issue with concrete is the disruption to the hydrological cycle. Whereas vegetation and soil will deal with rain all by itself (if it’s designed properly), covering something with concrete demands that you handle that water with extra engineering. Drainage needs routine cleaning and fixing, and the concrete itself needs replacing after 30-40 years.

Not if it’s to Roman standards. What did they ever do for us?

3 Likes

Well, they didn’t leave us their f’ing recipe for concrete, for one thing.

2 Likes

One thing I am concerned about is the constant flooding of the pier area on typhoon days. Many idjits have been pulled by the sea that way. Maybe the government officials plan some kind of barrier so there will be more distance and less of that happening.

1 part baking soda, 1 part limestone (ground), 1 part cinnamon, 1 part buckwheat flour, 1 part horse dung … gravel, pumice to taste.