Why are TW folks so loud?

In keeping with other noise pollution tendencies such as firecrackers at 3am, right outside your window and blaring loudspeakers from nieghborhood vegetable trucks, Taiwanese have a fondness of shouting when normal volume conversation is sufficient. When they have normal conversations with each other they raise their voices like they’re ready to throw down. The other day I was talking about some job stuff with a Chinese co-worker and she wasn’t angry but spoke in a raised voice and people around the office stopped and looked, like we were having a confrontation or something. I asked “Are you upset?” She said “No, why?” I said, “because you’re embarassing me and I’m not across the street, I’m right here. Normal volume is fine.” Anyway, I see this all the time. Cultural thingy I guess, but annoying to westerners just the same.

It’s so they can be heard over the sound of the jackhammers in the neighboring apartment. :slight_smile:

The audio module’s volume control feature is not implemented on humans assembled for the Taiwan market. Volume control as such is therefore impossible and attempts to reduce operating noise may even cause a further increase in volume due to feedback. In order to force a mute condition it may be effective to create an operational environment so far outside normal parameters that the software ceases to respond for a short time. Failing this, a physical blow to the unit’s case may cause a temporary shut down, similar to sleep mode, though default settings will be restored upon reboot.

Hope this helps.

[quote=“redwagon”]The audio module’s volume control feature is not implemented on humans assembled for the Taiwan market. Volume control as such is therefore impossible and attempts to reduce operating noise may even cause a further increase in volume due to feedback. In order to force a mute condition it may be effective to create an operational environment so far outside normal parameters that the software ceases to respond for a short time. Failing this, a physical blow to the unit’s case may cause a temporary shut down, similar to sleep mode, though default settings will be restored upon reboot.

Hope this helps.[/quote]

Classic post nominee!!! :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

You should write a whole book like this! :roflmao:

Yea, I used to think the same thing…

After a few years enduring a culture that is not mine, I now sometimes think “why are non-TW folks so quiet?”

I purposely talk slightly quieter in classes of IELTS students to give them a taste of the real world AND to force them to listen. More often than not, it totally freaks them out.

[quote=“redwagon”]The audio module’s volume control feature is not implemented on humans assembled for the Taiwan market. Volume control as such is therefore impossible and attempts to reduce operating noise may even cause a further increase in volume due to feedback. In order to force a mute condition it may be effective to create an operational environment so far outside normal parameters that the software ceases to respond for a short time. Failing this, a physical blow to the unit’s case may cause a temporary shut down, similar to sleep mode, though default settings will be restored upon reboot.

Hope this helps.[/quote]

:roflmao:

:notworthy:

Sorry?

Sorry?[/quote]

I purposely talk slightly quieter in classes of IELTS students to give them a taste of the real world AND to force them to listen. More often than not, it totally freaks them out.

So, my boss’ kid calls her to complain that the noise from the artists “remodeling” the neighbors’ place is driving him nuts. My boss shouts back: I can’t hear you, there is too much noise on your side!

Solution: kid had to go to the local library to finish his homework -and nap, too, I guess.

And don’t get me started on the noises at the office!

Hang on a minute here. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve sat in a restaurant or pub, the Taiwanese patrons all quietly enjoying a meal or drink, with all the noise coming from a table of AMERICANS.

Or Canadians. Which are one and the same thing really. Except the Canadians can be even louder, as they are over-compensating for their numerous national deficiencies.
I can’t even count the number of times I’ve yelled at some of my compatriots, telling them tone it down a little, And that they’re not at some sports bar in Spokane. They get quite miffed when doesn’t apologize for mistaking them for Amerotrash.

Hope this helps.[/quote]

brilliant

but also, its just a cultural things, when my wife returns from visiting her family, I always have to tell her to reduce the volume a few decibels and just ignore her mum if she shouts in my ear… actually I just choose to ignore her mum most of the time

give the OP a few years and he’ll also lost his sensitivity to it

People seem to be very quiet on buses and the MRT, especially families. If kids are noisy (or ask lots of enthusiastic questions) parents and grandparents will frequently answer in a whisper, or not answer at all, or tell them to be quiet.

like this

If I walk with the kids to take them to school in the morning here in Yonghe, we can hardly hold a conversation with all the traffic noise. They talk and I can’t hear what they’re saying unless they yell at me.

I had to slum it on a bus yesterday and all was quiet – except for a couple of ABC girls talking to each other in that awful Valley Girl kind of nasal, like, WHINE? They were going to Sogo to buy some underwear. One was going to buy a sports bra and the other was seeking some kind of leggings for yoga. Then they were going to meet their friends for some food at Yuma, which they both, like, totally like. There was a bunch of other stuff, too, including problems with a water heater that they simply WOULD NOT have experienced in Cali, but I drowned it out with my earphones before I shoved a toothpick into my eye socket.
Why are Americans so fucking LOUD?

It’s because we’re used to living out on the open range, where the beer and the cantaloupe play.

It’s because we’re used to living out on the open range, where the beer and the cantaloupe play.[/quote]
Ah, those dancing bouncing melons…

[quote=“sandman”]
Why are Americans so fucking LOUD?[/quote]

It’s not just the volume, it’s the narrative element of whatever they are talking about. They talk about what they have been doing since they last saw you and what they plan to do next. Drives me insano.