Why are Westerners such fools for Taiwanese girls?

The greatest girl I have ever been with was a 20 something from the southern Chinese countryside, a minority, no education beyond a few years of primary. Moved to the city when she was 16 and battled her way into society from there. Modest, absolutely no pretentions, and thoroughly streetwise. Not educated, so not knowledgeable by measure of ‘amount of facts known’ but wise where needed and extremely capable of deductive reasoning. It was very refreshing because there were no set terms of engagement - our relationship, which lasted nearly 4 years, started out as a blank sheet of paper and it was literally in our own hands to take it anywhere we wanted.

I’ve also been with a girl who had a PhD and spent most of her time in and out of the lab working on a cure for cancer. Let’s just say that wasn’t nearly as succesful.

What I’m trying to say is that education, knowledge, good job, financial stability and what not are definately not ‘magic keys’ to a good relationship. You’ve got to open your mind and think about what you’re going to be together, not seperately as individuals.

Very wise, Ah Q.

I am a wimmin, but the absolute last thing I want is someone just like me.

[quote=“Buttercup”]Very wise, Ah Q.

I am a wimmin, but the absolute last thing I want is someone just like me.[/quote]

I second that wholeheartedly.
Well said, Ah Q. :bravo:

[quote=“Ah Q”]The greatest girl I have ever been with was a 20 something from the southern Chinese countryside, a minority, no education beyond a few years of primary. Moved to the city when she was 16 and battled her way into society from there. Modest, absolutely no pretentions, and thoroughly streetwise. Not educated, so not knowledgeable by measure of ‘amount of facts known’ but wise where needed and extremely capable of deductive reasoning. It was very refreshing because there were no set terms of engagement - our relationship, which lasted nearly 4 years, started out as a blank sheet of paper and it was literally in our own hands to take it anywhere we wanted.

I’ve also been with a girl who had a PhD and spent most of her time in and out of the lab working on a cure for cancer. Let’s just say that wasn’t nearly as succesful.

What I’m trying to say is that education, knowledge, good job, financial stability and what not are definately not ‘magic keys’ to a good relationship. You’ve got to open your mind and think about what you’re going to be together, not seperately as individuals.[/quote]

But why didnt the magic continue? Id want the magic to go on and on and on and on

I know what you mean. People who come from crap background and manage to ‘battle their way into society’ as you put it often seem a lot smarter than people who come from a traditional academic background. Because, lets face it, a traditional academic background is often something parents foist on you when you’re too young to know the alternatives.

Thanks for the heads up, Buttercup & Bismarck.

[quote=“tommy525”][quote=“Ah Q”]The greatest girl I have ever been with was a 20 something from the southern Chinese countryside, a minority, no education beyond a few years of primary. Moved to the city when she was 16 and battled her way into society from there. Modest, absolutely no pretentions, and thoroughly streetwise. Not educated, so not knowledgeable by measure of ‘amount of facts known’ but wise where needed and extremely capable of deductive reasoning. It was very refreshing because there were no set terms of engagement - our relationship, which lasted nearly 4 years, started out as a blank sheet of paper and it was literally in our own hands to take it anywhere we wanted.

What I’m trying to say is that education, knowledge, good job, financial stability and what not are definately not ‘magic keys’ to a good relationship. You’ve got to open your mind and think about what you’re going to be together, not seperately as individuals.[/quote]

But why didnt the magic continue? Id want the magic to go on and on and on and on[/quote]

I ask myself this question frequently. Looking back on what we had it was beautiful, but it’s true what they say, you don’t always know what you’ve got until it is gone. My personal ambitions in life and perfectionist attitude were mostly at fault, I suppose. Even during our relationship I realised that we really had something going together, but no matter how good it gets, I always assume that there’s something even better, even greater out there…

All the same, the relationship itself was never the issue. Ironically, although a relationship may flourish in the hands of two people, it only takes one of them to take it apart… Love really is a short-term decision. You think and hope it will be long-term, but you really don’t know, so all you can go on is how it feels today, and whether or not all you want is to be with her/him now. After 3,5 years with this girl, I came to a point in my life where I was making decisions that would affect the rest of my life, be it with or without this girl. I wanted to choose for her, for us, but I knew that if my choices were based on the fact that we were together then - what good would they be, if we were apart in the future?

Basically, I was given opportunities to leave China for other parts of Asia, which I was ready to do. I could advance career-wise, use my remaining years of youth wisely (instead of wasting them away in the bedroom), and basically just ensure my future well-being as an individual, no matter whom I’d be with.

So that’s what I did. I left her, knowing that she’d be prepared to wait for any amount of time for me to sort my own life out, but I wasn’t prepared myself to ask this of her. It’s hard to say whether or not my decision has paid off, or whether it ever will in terms of absolute happiness. Life’s all about choices eh :wink: I make them quickly and easily, but not very accurately.

The only things guaranteed in life are, Death and Taxes…and one of those two is avoidable.

Risk Analysis = All or None.

Its certainly possible, but the girl you finally end up with might be not quite what you really want. The only local ladies I know that WANT to date white guys are… a bit strange by local standards. They are either too independent, too old, or too unattractive (by local standards), and they hunt wai-guo guys cuz they don’t want to be alone.

You can meet plenty girls like this around… go to Carnegie’s. Oops, you said “under 30”. Well teach English and you might find some in an adult class. You can have a ‘decent’ relationship with them, but remember they are hunting you out of desperation.

I wouldn’t worry about it. Just have fun while you’re here and wait until to get back to the US to find a sexy Asian American girl who can understand you better. :wink:

[quote=“ClaireC”][quote=“calitotaiwan”]
Is it impossible for a Westerner to date a bright Taiwanese woman with a good job, and
is under 30?
[/quote]

Its certainly possible, but the girl you finally end up with might be not quite what you really want. The only local ladies I know that WANT to date white guys are… a bit strange by local standards. They are either too independent, too old, or too unattractive (by local standards), and they hunt wai-guo guys cuz they don’t want to be alone.

You can meet plenty girls like this around… go to Carnegie’s. Oops, you said “under 30”. Well teach English and you might find some in an adult class. You can have a ‘decent’ relationship with them, but remember they are hunting you out of desperation.

I wouldn’t worry about it. Just have fun while you’re here and wait until to get back to the US to find a sexy Asian American girl who can understand you better. ;-)[/quote]

Wow, that’s pretty nasty and I can’t decide whether it’s sexist, racist or both. Pretty shocking, coming from another woman. You’ve never flirted with a guy in a bar?

My male waiguo friends’ wifes are generally complete honeys; beautiful, accomplished, interesting and far from desperate. Or are you saying Taiwanese guys only like young wimpy girls?

The local ladies I know don’t care where a guy is from as long as he can keep up with them. There are enough guys on here that look down on Taiwanese women; it’s sad to see the girls doing it too.

You said it Bcup, I agree. I have met some of the desperate type that are only interested in a trophy. For the most part, the local girls i know tell me they date foreign men because many of the local guys can’t handle a strong independent women that has opinions. They prefer a “yes” woman, and are not from the school of equality. So some of the modern women feel they can connect more with foreigners and are able to be themselves.

I thought they liked us because we have bigger willies? :raspberry:

Now then guys, it’s also crap to say 'We get the best Taiwanese girls because Taiwanese guys can’t handle ‘em’…

EA, that’s a myth… Really… They just tell guys that because they still fall for ‘Oooh, you’re soooo big! The biggest I’ve ever had! You’re such a stud!’

I still say it’s the general abhorance among the local lads for cunnilingus that puts us in good standing.

HG

Hold on a minute! No girl, either here or anywhere else, has EVER said ANYTHING like that to me.

No, wait. That’s not what I meant. Honest, I have a big one. Honest!

Our man in Hong Kong said: [quote]I still say it’s the general abhorrence among the local lads for cunnilingus that puts us in good standing. [/quote]

Ha! I heard that you’re originally a Canadian, but you spent so much time Going Down Under that you were made a honorary Aussie.

Muff diving advisory: remember to come up for air; we’re mammals, not bloody platypus.

The gentlemanly thing to do is say “Thanks, but I’m really not that big. It feels good because you’re so small”

Ha! I heard that you’re originally a Canadian, but you spent so much time Going Down Under that you were made a honorary Aussie.

Muff diving advisory: remember to come up for air; we’re mammals, not bloody platypus.[/quote]

wait… Platypus are Mammals too…

I found this note on the back of Almas Johns dunny door just yesterday

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]I still say it’s the general abhorance among the local lads for cunnilingus that puts us in good standing.

HG[/quote]

Yuk, I just looked that up, you’re joking right?

ooooh no, you must be? :roflmao:

[quote=“Edgar Allen”][quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]I still say it’s the general abhorance among the local lads for cunnilingus that puts us in good standing.

HG[/quote]

Yuk, I just looked that up, you’re joking right?

ooooh no, you must be? :roflmao:[/quote]
Your smilie’s doing it right now.

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]I still say it’s the general abhorance among the local lads for cunnilingus that puts us in good standing.
HG[/quote]
Actually, the local ladies are not too fond of it. Even in a long term relationship, I’ve found them to be not so comfortable with it!
Previous GF had a shower gel that would make her skin scent very lightly of honey. That would make me crazy (she also happened to be incredibly fit and pretty), and more than eager to get down there. But she was very modest about this.

As for the OP, I have had the pleasure to have been in relationships and to know girls like the one you describe. Chien-Wen 29, Julie 25, Jade 34, Charlotte 29, Candice 30, are some of the most attractive and quality girls that I’ve gotten to know, even as I’ve traveled quite a bit around the world these past years. They are hard to catch, but smart, pretty, eclectic, funny… Definitely what you would ask for a nice meaningful relationship.
I guess it is a matter of crowd. If you don’t get to meet the type of people you are longing for, i suggest you change places.
Personally i have been happy with the type of people I’ve been meeting in Barcode. It’s a more upmarket place and there is not as much “hunting” going on as in other places, so the girls relax, and come here for an evening with their female friends when they would not go some other places. That’s the perfect setting for a first friendly meet IMHO.