Why are you/are you not vegetarian?

I eat fruits and fungi.

There are some vegetables I tolerate like spinach, broccoli, lettuce, and tomatoes, but most I just never eat like carrot, cauliflower, celery, any type of beans (unless it’s sweet) etc.

That hurts the meat industry big time. They can deal with a consistent core of people going veggie, but if 50% of the meat eating population just reduced their meat consumption then that would hurt. I spent part of my childhood on a farm with pigs , but those pigs would run around and go into their pens/huts at night. Much better than factory farms, it was not called free range in those days it was called normal. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

Still a bit restrictive. Meat is neutral as far as health is concerned, but if you’ve got more potato/pasta/rice on your plate than vegetables, you’re probably going to have problems when you hit you 50s. You’ll be overweight, you’ll have bad skin, and you’ll have a whole raft of subclinical illnesses that’ll keep your doctor entertained.

Your tastes can be changed, but you have to make the effort.

1 Like

True, those high carbs are a killer. I think moderate meat intake with plenty of veg is the healthy way. I think meat consumption could be reduced by implementing better animal welfare conditions across the board which would mean higher prices and thus reduction. People might say that is unfair on poorer people , but in western countries many poorer people are o overweight.
Edit (but an English breakfast is so darn good)

1 Like

The idea that “ethical” meat needs to be expensive is a myth perpetuated by those who profit from CAFOs and the like. I’ve done several rants on this subject. The bottom line is that the economic value of a “free range” animal has nothing to do with the value of its corpse; it’s all about manure and labour. Yes, the animal can be raised and sold as meat, but that simply balances the books. In the meantime, it can have a healthy and happy life.

1 Like

If you drove around lets say East Anglia or Dorset 40 years ago, you would see pigs out and rummaging around in the mud. Now drive around and you may not see one pig. However, they are there in the same if not greater numbers, just hidden in their little cells inside.
Edit actually the pig population reduced a tiny amount, interesting as the human population grew. I wonder what US figures are.

1 Like

I guess stricter laws for food safety plus the tendency of younger people moving to the big cities had a big role in the disappearance of small-scale farming and keeping a few pigs and a cow.

I remember my grandparents having a small field with potatoes, cabbage, carrots etc, a bunch of chickens, two pigs and two cows.
After my father and his brothers moved away to work somewhere else, they sold one cow and did replace the other after it died. The pigs went away after a law was passed banning slaughtering animals at home, forcing my grandparents to rent a truck to get the pigs delivered to the slaughterhouse.

After I got my driver’s license, it was my duty to drive the chickens to their final destination. Getting them checked by a Vet, and butchered was mad expensive. We just put up with the cost because we knew the meat was higher quality than the one from the super market.

2 Likes

You should live forever.

But that’s the thing. It’s hard. Imagine a 6’3 205lb man trying to sustain himself as a vegetarian. It’s a lot of effort.

In a pinch, I throw on a steak and eggs and I’m set for the day. I think that’s the primary reason over the taste of meat I wouldn’t become a vegetarian.

I am betting on medicine in the 2050s lmao.

I used to eat even less vegetables, now I force myself to eat a bit.

I hate vegetables as well. Certain ones, especially the slimy ones, literraly make me puke (gag reflex). But i am vegetarian because torturing animals is even more disgusting. I am very much pro meat for health, taste and those related concepts that relate to selfish needs and wants. But as our population has grown, i can no longer cover my eyes on the realities of both conservation issues and abuse towards other animals It just seems impossible to justify that kind of insanely horrific treatment towards others after being in the agriculture world for so long. If i could morally justify eatig steaks for every neal, i would. It is beyond my favorite meal. But know where its from, how could i? Its easier if we farm and kill our own, then we can garauntee certian things, but from the supermarket…no damn way!

For me, i support hunting with the caveat that wild sourced animal foods from large species isnt sustainable given our current species population.

There are good animal proteins to be had for numerous reasons though. For example i support fully these, regardless of the picky people playing princesses.

Invasive carp
Invasive hogs
Overpopulated deer and the like
Invasive rodents
Insect farming
Invasive molluscs (escargot)
Morally farmed meat
And so on.

No issues with hunting so long as its fast. Trapping, bow hunting, gasing/electrifying rivers etc are all usually douche bag people making money, or not using their brains to the evolutionary capacity they have been provided. If its true survival, perhaps some level of pain and suffering is justified. This no longer exists in taiwan with the exception of literally a handful of people, which likely dont have phones or internet and wont read this.

On the flip side i always find it ironic that meat eaters are disgusted by people that eat cats, dogs, spiders, cockroaches or whatever because they are so high and mighty above it. i think people would be better off just admitting they eat things they arent in love with and dont eat things they are attracted to. This ranges from hating on dog eaters to buddhists hating on all meat eaters. There is no shame in at least being hibest and saying i love dogs, dont eat dogs. I dont love pigs, eat pigs. Its annoying .listening to people talk smack about say in vietnman they eat dog, whiletheyvsjovel their face with all you cna eat bbq sourced from nothing short of nazi concentration camps x100 for other animal species. I like asking people in polite conversation inor der to get an idea just how logical they are as well as just how sellfish they are in regards to justification.

Invertebrate foods, depending on species, will definately be the most logical on an all fronts, however lab foods are without question going to be the dominant food source of the future. i dislike the idea of this as the guinea pig generation of this industry (us) is going.to.suffer health issues, but surely it should be more efficient and.sustainable as the AG industy is probably the biggest industry on earth as well as one of the most polluting. The real question is what needs to be produced as the feed stocks for lab foods, and are those an issue or not. Still early on, so no one knows yet. But if all these lab made meals are sourced on soy or corn or some oher massive scale. mono crop which would even amplify lack of diversity, we are fucked. If we can produce based on other more sustainable building blocks, we are solid. Most likely, space travel and related research will be what paves the way for his sustainable food sourcing in the next 100 years. Not keto, vegan, bbq etc type youtubers.

3 Likes

My personal trainer is vegetarian. He’s a very big dude.

1 Like

It can be done. But I struggle to maintain size eating meat already. I can’t imagine eating on veggies.

One has backslid though!

1 Like

Meat is easy, non meat requires quite a lot of time, effort and education. Realistically, its not so feasible for the current culture . Howeevr, if it gets more normlized, as it is currently, this should improve as we just have evolved to have more fundamental knowledge as out species continues.

The argument that traditional cultures eat better is a bit flawed. Taiwan, at least the colonizers of taiwan, have a long tradition of vegetarianism. The issues really arent about tradtion, its about wealth and ability to not only afford yummier foods but also afford health care. The vast majority of vegetarians and vegans in taiwan are eating just as shitty and just a processed foods as meat eaters. Those veggie buffets really are pretty dire, like a mcdonalds for vegans. noodles, fake meat, everything drenched in cheap oils, herbicides and pesticides out the ass etc. I am not sure why people deny this obvious reality. The argument about eating vegetarian is healthier is over when they keep eating fried, processed garbage. Then they are in the same page as the fast food meateries.

That said, those few vegan folk that make their whole life revolve around health, sure. But i would say that meat eaters on that level of OCD for health are probably equal in outcome.

I would say eating meat/vegan comes down to morals first. Environment second. and ego third.

2 Likes

hmmmm not sure if I should say anything…

1 Like

note for myself: try to eat more veggies.

1 Like

You shouldnt haha. or i am gonna talk about what eating literally means. tearing flesh, chewing and swallowing. Sure you wanna go there? I can be pretty crude for a veggie, mods may not approve :wink: lets let the feable digest the fact eating a dog is no different than eating a steak first, ya?

1 Like

Yeah they are pretty revolting :grinning: whatever way they are prepared, but I do feel healthier eating more veggies and less rice and noodles…

1 Like

but I like some. and I eat carrots, onion, garlic and peppers. maybe just not enough, and definitely not enough leafy veggies, which I understand are very nutritious.

1 Like