Why are you here? why not go home?

[quote=“Ironman”]I enjoy telling people my girlfriend goes to the local market and buys 80 dumplings for 100nt and we make 3 meals out of them. Around a single USD 1.00 for 2 people to be well fed. :slight_smile:
On the other side, the weather drives me crazy. I miss nice blue sky mild days and do have an exit plan to keep my sanity.[/quote]Just flipped onto this thread as I was doing some money conversion. As of midday:
Thursday, May 19, 2005
100 Taiwan Dollar = 3.20513 US Dollar
100 US Dollar (USD) = 3,120.00 Taiwan Dollar (TWD)
Median price = 0.03182 / 0.03205 (bid/ask)
Minimum price = 0.03177 / 0.03186
Maximum price = 0.03200 / 0.03210

Still darned cheap in any book.

And yes - the exit plan does give foundation.

Chun - You need to understand we don’t “owe” you anything - not an explanation, not a reason, and certainly not our time. You don’t get people to interact with you by pounding them on the head.

I agree with just about everyone else has said - this is my home - where I live and interact with the world. That’s good enough for me. If I’m talking with a friend, I typically will say a lot more. That’s if I’m talking with a friend, not an anonymous person treating me like a lab rat.

Jefferson, you dont have to answer the question if you don’t want to. Your answers aren’t important to me anyway. “Shi Ban.”

Jdsmith - snippy? I’d think the other posts are “snippier” than mine. As for people who don’t want to answer the question, they dont’ have to. I don’t understand why people complain about not wanting to answer this question and then go ahead and leave a post in this thread. No one is forcing anyone to write anything.

And the reason why I didn’t ask where everyone was from is because that’s not my question. My question was, “Why are you here?” And I didn’t WANT long answers, as you can tell from the short question. Simple as that. Everyone is here for different reasons. As you can tell from most of the short replies, it’s all either because of work, marriage, or because they just like the place. Good enough.

And like Omni said, this is mostly all just for fun, some simple opinions. I guess for those who take it too seriously need some more fun in the sun.

Chun, honest enough. For those of us that have been here a while it’s a question the locals ask to no end. There’s the commonly held stereotype that foreigners are only here to make a quick buck, so it’s usually a loaded question. I saw in another thread that you are contemplating a relocation to Taipei. It’s a great place for so many different reasons to so many different people. Sorry for the scepticism about you’re intentions in asking. Peace, love and happiness.

A much better question would be “Why don’t you like the black jelly babies?”
That has an easy answer: “Because they taste like aniseed.”

Here in Taiwan…

1. I don’t have to worry about putting my cellphone on vibrate to avoid being stabbed when someone hears that I have a cell.

2. I don’t have to worry about owning anything more than NT$ 1000 and actually taking pictures with a digital, without being mugged.

3. I can walk home at 8pm at night, by myself, or at any time for that matter…and not be raped.

4. I have only met one person with Aids…and a foreigner gave it to him.

5. I haven’t lost any friends due to Aids or violence in the 4 years that I have been here.

6. The trains have windows…so it’s more difficult to throw me out of it.

7. The buses have aircon, and no wars.

8. Back home I made NT$ 20 minimum wage. And a can of Coke costs NT$ 20.

Need I go on?

And yes, I know here we have typhoons, earthquakes, pollution etc, but I would much rather die from a natural disaster than a human disaster :slight_smile:

Citizen, none taken. It almost seemed to me like some of you guys had a chip on your shoulder.

Yes, I’m thinking about relocating back to Taipei. And against the contrary, a huge reason for it is mainly because I like Taiwanese guys. But I don’t think it’s a good enough reason.

Sandman - What is aniseed?

Battery - Did you happen to live in New York prior to Taiwan?

Blah… too many reasons why Taipei is just a great place to live.

And if I may add a thought, the title of the thread itself reveals a complete lack of sensitivity, with an emphasis on the word “sense”. The question is “Why not go home?” The assumption is we’re all fugitives here from the place we “belong”. It seems incomprehensible to the OP that any of us would want to live here.

Well, some of us have been here a long time and are extremely qualified to be and work anywhere we want. We are here because we want to be here. Fini.

Another interesting point is millions of people (including the OP’s parents) either have immigrated to the West, want to immigrate to Western countries, or are in line to do so. A small handful of Westerners take the opposite route and are assumed to be degenerate for doing so. Why this assumption? Food for thought…

[quote=“Jefferson”]And if I may add a thought, the title of the thread itself reveals a complete lack of sensitivity, with an emphasis on the word “sense”. The question is “Why not go home?” The assumption is we’re all fugitives here from the place we “belong”. It seems incomprehensible to the OP that any of us would want to live here.

Well, some of us have been here a long time and are extremely qualified to be and work anywhere we want. We are here because we want to be here. Fini.

Another interesting point is millions of people (including the OP’s parents) either have immigrated to the West, want to immigrate to Western countries, or are in line to do so. A small handful of Westerners take the opposite route and are assumed to be degenerate for doing so. Why this assumption? Food for thought…[/quote]

:bravo:

Palm trees, weather, anonymity and freedom! :laughing:

Can someone tell me where I can make this “quick buck”?

Jefferson, I can’t help it if you’re extra sensitive. Anyways.

Kelake - Wouldn’t teaching english qualify as making a “quick buck” while doing a pretty simple job?

FYI, I’ve taught English before. It wasn’t hard for me at all, and grading papers was the only time consuming. I made a lot of money doing something very simple. Guess it’s hard for you. Good job on your assumptions.

Main reasons :

• Because I liked Taiwan the first time I came, and because I came back as soon as I finished my studies.
  • Because of an old love story that I never forgot.
  • Because I don’t need to be in my country.
  • Because I like to be here.

Secondery reasons :

• In my country the blank CDs are 10 times more expensive than here.
  • i.m.c. there is no KTV, no 楊乃文, no 那麼漂亮的女生.
  • i.m.c. there is no bookstores opened when I can’t sleep at night.
  • i.m.c. there is not so many weichi players and clubs.
  • i.m.c. there is no Taiwanese Beer. (but in fact, I don’t mind, I don’t drink a lot :smiley: )
  • etc …

[quote=“Jefferson”]And if I may add a thought, the title of the thread itself reveals a complete lack of sensitivity, with an emphasis on the word “sense”. The question is “Why not go home?” The assumption is we’re all fugitives here from the place we “belong”. It seems incomprehensible to the OP that any of us would want to live here.

Another interesting point is millions of people (including the OP’s parents) either have immigrated to the West, want to immigrate to Western countries, or are in line to do so. A small handful of Westerners take the opposite route and are assumed to be degenerate for doing so. Why this assumption? Food for thought…[/quote]

Yeah, I tend to agree. Why do we keep getting told to go home by other foreigners? That’s the one I find bizarre.

maybe you sucked at it.[/quote]

Or maybe I got a corporate job at an international company that would help my career?

21p - You THINK you were being told to go home because of some chip off your shoulder. That wasn’t even my intention (ask yourself: why would I care where you are?) but if you took it that way, then that’s your issue.

Could have also been phrased. “Why are you here? What makes you stay?” (Which I think would have made more sense and would have brought out a more positive reaction.) I would have also capitalized the Ws so it didn’t look like it was written by a forum newbie. I’d also stop telling everyone they have chips on their shoulders.

But that’s just me.

I’ll open up a little more to keep things on topic.

[ul][li]Taipei seems to have a lot more opportunities to do different things than back home (work and leisure).[/li]
[li]I have a lot more time to pursue things that interest me than I would back home.[/li]
[li]I like learning Chinese.[/li]
[li]I’m in very close to a lot of different countries (and cultures) that are only a short plane ride away. (I lived right in the middle of the US.)[/li][/ul]

There, four things off the top of my head.

I had no idea 7-11 was set up in Shanghai! :bravo: :bravo:[/quote]
:laughing:

Looks like some have already given up hope. Chun Li, what was this corporate job you gave up teaching for to leave Taiwan? Was it worth it?

JD,

I wouldn’t worry about some guy who thinks he’s “made it” because he landed a “corporate” job… :unamused: Whooo Hooo, he’s got a career… So what? You own a business.

I really don’t understand this condescension exhibited by so many towards others who perform one sort of work or another. Who cares what other people do?

Must be a lack of self-confidence that causes some to be critical of what others do… you know, to try to build themselves up.

Chunli, I’m sure you are well intentioned and all that, and in real life you are probably quite nice, but in this particular thread you have managed to come across as a bit of an idiot.

The comments on English teaching, “quick bucks for not doing much”, and the glories of “corporate life” seemed silly to me.

Maybe you feel I am picking on you unfairly, but you were the one who came into this community and asked these people for their opinions. You got some useful answers (along with the jokes). People have tried to be helpful. Why not be nicer?