Why aren't teachers already in country considered for the new scheme?

I think you need to take things posted here with a :wink: and not read too much into it.

[

“However, belittling newbies in Taiwan English, Inc. is pretty unprofessional, especially from someone who is higher-up in the business. I know enough about that from his posts for that. And last time I checked, schools want to boast they have experienced teachers, not newcomers, and common sense tells me that a school would never advertise they hire only newbies.”

Whoa, lots of stuff…

I had pages of stuff written down but then the website ate it…so, forget it…probably should start a new thread on the subject anyways.

Flicka, it was not my intention to belittle newcomers, only to give them a little good natured ribbing. It is the same when someone calls me a “lifer”, as if living in Taiwan is some sort of prison sentence. I don’t think belittling anyone accomplishes much, and I think schools and school owners shouldn’t be belittled either (“Taiwan English, Inc.” ?).

I do not promote or advertise the teachers…I promote the results that the schools promises. Any school that uses “we have experienced teachers” as a marketing ploy is going to lose out in the long run as it probably means that the school doesn’t have any sort of curriculum or standards and needs experienced teachers to hold the mess together. I only need to tell customers that the teachers have been extensively trained to achieve the results that the school promises, not that they have experience.

Actually, you’re right. I always enjoyed interviewing people but I haven’t had the opportunities in recent years to do so, except last summer when I had to hire a chinese English teacher. That was terrible. We picked the best of the bunch we had, but we were scraping the bottom of the barrel. I was quite surprised.

No, that makes sense, I hadn’t appreciated the angle that DB was coming from. I do know quite a few good teachers personally, but in the same environment I work there are even more that I would never hire myself. But that’s mainly because my boss doesn’t know how to pick better ones.

I wouldn’t say rude, but I did not understand where he was coming from. He and I might have a lot more in common than most readers would know, judging from what you said.

Pre-S. I didn’t see half of those postings on pg. 2 last night when I posted. Where did they come from? I think we may have two or more contiguous threads. (is that right ‘contiguous’?)

So thanks,
Kenneth

I am an experienced teacher with a self-sponsored work permit. I think that scares a lot of perspective employers. I no longer tell my boss that I have an OWP. I just tell them I am here on a tourist visa and don’t even submit a resume. Since I started doing this I get new offers every day. They offer the same pay but I get more offers. I believe this also puts me in a much stronger position if things go south. It hasn’t happened yet but when it does, I going to take a picture of my bosses’ face.
Having experience doesn’t just make me a better teacher in the classroom. It makes me a much wiser employee. My current bosses would find it very difficult to put me in a position were I was not in control of the situation. The same can be said about the parents. A FNG doesn’t have a very good chance of being paid or ensuring their students learn.

Neither of which are particularly high on the agenda of most school owners, judging from the majority of opinions here.

With all due apologies to EOD and Sandman but that is incorrect. A newcomer (sorry, I don’t use the “F” word here as the PC crowd will jump in my dish about it :? ) that has been given proper training can ensure that the kids learn. Generally speaking, the new teachers on my staff are doing a better job than the experienced ones.

Sandman, all of the schools that I consider to be main competitors of market shares believe that the results in the classroom are the most important thing. Quality is paramount…and having an experienced teacher doesn’t automatically mean that quality standards will be met. Teachers that are doing what is expected of them in the classroom is just one aspect of quality control.

There are some kindies in Taichung that are really doing some good stuff. There are language schools in Kaohsiung that are turning out some outstanding programs. I think I need to visit some schools in Taipei as I am beginning to form the opinion that the ESL market there is one big Gong Show. And I should go see for myself rather than form an opinion from what I read on website forums.

Neither of which are particularly high on the agenda of most school owners, judging from the majority of opinions here.[/quote]
hear hear !

Every school owner or manager I have ever worked for, has had very little regard for the welfare of the teacher or quality education of the students. So long as the money is coming in, they are happy. If there is a problem, it is the teachers fault. They then deduct that from the teachers pay.