Why backwards?

Most Sinitic languages that descended from Middle Chinese followed the flat, raising, departing and entering tone scheme (those tone names aren’t descriptions of what the tone sounds like, but rather what the characters 平上去入 sound like in Middle Chinese). While each language might end up assigning different tone values to each of those tone names, they still generally follow the rhyme books’ attributed categories.

It is Mandarin that completely removed the entering tone, and then redistributed those randomly into the other 3 tones. The Mandarin 1st and 2nd tones are both flat tone. Parts of the Mandarin 3rd tone correspond to the raising tone. Parts of the Mandarin 4th tone correspond to the departing tone.

The worst is the fact that the character 上, which is the namesake of the raising tone, no longer belongs to the raising tone in Mandarin, but is now a part of the departing tone.

And yet Mandarin claims that it is “Chinese”.

The example you gave, 好, is the raising tone in Beijing Mandarin, and is still the raising tone in Taigi (called the 2nd tone, the light raising tone 陽上). They just got assigned different tone values.

I guess the question then is why didn’t the tone value stay consistent. For that I ask why aren’t these consistent: tough, through, thorough, plough hiccough, brought, enough, furlough?

3 Likes

It’s kind of a fascinating topic, not just Chinese-West differences, but generally different approaches to do the same thing.

Lot of left-right examples

Like left-hand-side vs. right-hand-side driving

Writing direction. Where a book starts

How screws are driven in

How to hold knife and fork

Which hand to use to wipe your behind

How toilet paper goes onto the holder

Why clocks are going clockwise and not the other way round

etc. etc.

1 Like

And how not to talk with your mouth full of food!

I call my wife or kid boss instead of 控制王when I detect they are minding me too much like typical micromanaging Asians. I saw Cool Hand Luke and that’s what started it. They don’t like it but they do get the message to stop micromanaging. And my wife knows what I really want to say is 控制王

Or you could say 控制狂 like they do in Chinese… :sweat_smile:

Yes, like the Latin American use of “jefe,” which is ubiquitous.

1 Like

Awesome! I’m going to use that on my strident Trump worshipping oldest brother who lives in Los Angeles, a Mexican colony

what’s the probelm?

see: Mankind in english lol. the word woman has man in it too, we know. maybe adding some letters before the Male man is in order? who knows. maturity and equality isn’t mankinds string point. I mean humankinds’.

ps. why did my Samsung phone autocorrect male to be capitalized? let’s try it out: woman nope. and the second male , nor this one, is either. maybe it’s not a bigoted conspiracy against females after all ? just shitty standards and lack of organization.

I propose heman.

they will have a problem with “he”, garaunteed. needs to be new and unaffiliated

hyman then? Just don’t follow the usual plural form for man, then we should be fine.

you’re the linguistically gifted one, I trust your judgement! though I thought subman could help to get ahead of the curve.