Why BJJ works so well

Fight in burger joint ends with a tap out

You have to be careful of who you smart off to these days in America… :popcorn:

beard guy was only a one month white belt

Basic wrestling moves.

The loud mouth may be fat, but he’s no Tank Abbott.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]Basic wrestling moves.

The loud mouth may be fat, but he’s no Tank Abbott.[/quote]

Do you do an arm lock—or whatever they call it, i’m rusty— in wrestling?

Indeed, that was a crap fight. I was looking forward to fattie going down hard.

HG

There’s an extra J in the title, surely? Haven’t watched the vid, but I can CERTAINLY attest to the efficiacy of a BJ. I remember getting one, oh, must be 20 years ago or more, but the memory cunnilingus.

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Indeed, that was a crap fight. I was looking forward to fattie going down hard.

HG[/quote]

Yep, really crap - like watching Ricky Martin and Dr. McCoy have a pillow fight.

Thanks for the laugh…

[quote=“almas john”][quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Indeed, that was a crap fight. I was looking forward to fattie going down hard.

HG[/quote]

Yep, really crap - like watching Ricky Martin and Dr. McCoy have a pillow fight.[/quote]

Ahhh, here we go, taking the thread off topic. :ponder: Did I miss the “we hate namahottie” thread somewhere back in the day?

What’s the extra ‘j’ for?

[Dammit! I should have read the thread first.]

jelly

Available at your Starbucks?

ew [bj jelly]

I like the guffawing onlookers…what a cat fight!

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life.

I was hoping for a nice choke out to quiet the obnoxious bastard down.

Being as Texas is a ccw state this could have turned out terribly different.

Hi Nama…See what happens when they don’t serve Tater Tots?

[quote=“almas john”][quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Indeed, that was a crap fight. I was looking forward to fattie going down hard.

HG[/quote]

Yep, really crap - like watching Ricky Martin and Dr. McCoy have a pillow fight.[/quote]
Ooooo…I’d like to see that!

As to BJJ working well. Sure. If you’ve mastered any martial art, they all work well. They all have disadvantages and advantages.
BJJ didn’t work so well against Kazushi Sakuraba.
Kazushi Sakuraba owned Royler Gracie, Royce Gracie, Renzo Gracie and Ryan Gracie.

And here Matt Hughes owned Royce Gracie: Royce Gracie vs Matt Hughes

The Burger Brawl video was funny, though. I wonder if he ever got that cheeseburger…

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]
Hi Nama…See what happens when they don’t serve Tater Tots?[/quote] :bravo:

He’ll get over it…Good thing he didn’t go to the Billy Goat

Thanks for the link. Great fight. Total domination by Matt Hughes from the start. Frankly, while I acknowledge that Royce Gracie is highly skilled, I’ve always felt he was overrated. Yes, very slick and quick with his submission moves, but no match for a stronger, more powerful wrestler and puncher like Hughes.

And I liked the Hughes v. Triggs fight, which was linked from that site you posted. Hughes slips up initially, Triggs tries to move in for the kill, gets darned close, but then Hughes makes a tremendous effort, gets the reversal and quickly punishes the guy for having the audacity to have thought he could beat Hughes. Tap tap. :laughing:

s107.photobucket.com/albums/m319 … kTrigg.flv

As for BJJ, yes it’s a great fighting art, but – no offense nama – sometimes it seems the term is thrown around too widely and too loosely, because it sounds awesome and exotic, when plain old strength, power, and basic schoolboy wrestling skills will still win most fights. . . especially against some fat, drunk loser in a burger joint.

Matt Hughes is not just any wrestler, he is a wrestler who spent years of dedicated training in countering and even applying BJJ techniques. I would say Matt Hughes has better jiu jitsu than many who have studied it for years, even though he doesn’t have a black belt (I think). When Hughes’s phenomenal wrestling and power was added to his BJJ skills, he was able to dominate Royce.

I think it’s true that BJJ is not the perfect style, but it is may be the most effective against an opponent that has not been trained to counter it.

Certainly seems to work for people who like to see hard men rubbing their sweaty lycra clad testicles in each others faces on the floor. Just not my, erhm tea bag.

HG

Ha ha ha, great video. That fat fu*ker was flailing around on the ground like drunk stupid jellyfish.

So is that arm lock considered BJJ? The first takedown was a classic double-leg and then a head lock. I don’t know the name of what he was doing with the arm but it looked pretty effective.