Why can't I learn to save money...(a rant)

It’s crazy…I usually work hard for a year or two, then take it easy for a year or two. But it doesn’t matter if I’m making 140,000nt a month…or 30,000nt a month. I don’t save any money. I’ve been living check to check for 8 years now and I need to grow up. I’ve only saved money once…and I was only making about 60k at the time. I saved 30k for three months and then put that as the down payment on a half a million nt bike.

Wake up mordeth…learn to budget…shesh…I’m honestly dissapointed in myself. If you are wondering what brought this rant on…I misread my bank statement…and just realized today that I have 21 days left until payday and only about 300nt to my name. :loco:

Thats funny, in an earlier post this year you were ragging on otherds for not saving and how good you were at it.

I guess having loans to pay off ya toys takes a bit away each month.

And those day trippers you take eat up some $$$ as well.

Hmmm… anyways nothing wrong with being broke, you just spend less. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

The more you make, the more you spend.

[quote=“j99l88e77”]The more you make, the more you spend.[/quote]\

How bloody right you are, sir.

The more you make, the more the Mrs. spends :laughing:

The more your Mrs. thinks you’ll soon make, the more she spends. :wink:

[quote=“Satellite TV”]Thats funny, in an earlier post this year you were ragging on otherds for not saving and how good you were at it.

I guess having loans to pay off ya toys takes a bit away each month.

And those day trippers you take eat up some $$$ as well.

Hmmm… anyways nothing wrong with being broke, you just spend less. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:[/quote]

Hmmm, I think you are refering to me making comments about other foreigners having nothing to show for their work. What I was talking about then was the people who waste their money on “partying”. And that I in fact have something to show for my work. I have lots of toys…but no money…as opposed to lots of my co-workers who have no toys…and no money. :s

Every month, sock away a certain amount of your income (like, say, NT$20,000, or a certain percentage of your income) in an interest-bearing account. Don’t touch it, ever, other than for investing. Let this money be off your radar scope of “available spending money”.

This is your nest egg. Add to it, invest it carefully and let it grow. Just don’t spend it. If you get any windfalls (big tax refund, year-end bonuses, lottery winnings), add it to your nest egg.

Oh! My head is starting to hurt. Nest egg. Owwwwww!!

There’s your answer: [quote]I have lots of toys…but no money…[/quote]

Rant? You do enjoy the two motorbikes, the two scooters and the car don’t you? Too bad you can’t afford gasoline now. :smiling_imp:

Seriously, sell some of that stuff if you want my advice. It’s not doing you any good parked in the garage anyways. Keep what’s more important to you and make compromises. You’re skinny enough as it is. :wink:

bobepine

I rode a 50cc purple scooter for one year that was given to me. I had to zig zag up our hill road and in the finish had to push it up the hill road. I also drive a Ford Festiva worth 50k.

One side of this.

I think you have to remove your sense of self worth from your material belongings, then you can get ahead.

I’m much more interested right now in investment properties than looking good while I drive.

Another side.

I purchased a new Mercedes Benz some years back and did enjoy driving it. I will do it again one day, might not be a Benz though with the way they are going downhill.

I’d enjoy riding a big bike one day.

The RZR will do for now. It will do 160kph according to MJB who has borrowed it and clocked against another bike. I’d be thinking about that speed wobble video you put up here. I’ve gone 145kph and backed off.

I’m a sucker for electronics gear so money not in a car could probably be found in the satellite dish, hard drive dvd I have and the Panasonic PTAE 700 front projector I want to get Terminator up on 120" of screen.(about 70k I think).

I think that’s excelent advice, Ironman. :bravo:

Great for me, too; if you’ve seen my van you’ll understand. :wink:

Mordeth, I hear you. I’m in my thrities living like a first-year university student. It’s just that the numbers are bigger.

Take one of the wheels off the CBR and stash it under your bed. That’s probably 100k in savings right there.

They aren’t worth that much yet…but I plan on going carbon fiber rims in the future.

I like Chris’ idea, but the one I’ve used that worked best was to:

1.Decide how much money I needed a month (say 30,000).

2.Set up two bank accounts, one’s current and one’s for savings.

3.ALWAYS put 30,000 into your current one each month and the rest into the savings account.

The good thing with this method is that you get used to living on 30,000 a month. If you SAVE the same amount each month, but spend different amounts, it’s bad for your budget mentality. Kinda like getting a different amount of sleep every night and how that affects your energy (OK, it’s nothing like that, but anyway it works really well).

Off:

I think I’ve heard this before somewhere… :slight_smile:

:wink:

Who holds the worst car of Forumosa right now. I know one local candidate.

Could the van win? You’d have to have a lot of colors on it.

It’s the smell more than anything - I’m sure I’d win hands down.

I mean the van the van would win hands down. :blush: