Why can't older women get good roles in Hollyweird?

Why can’t older women get good roles in Hollyweird?

nytimes.com/2003/08/18/arts/ … ner=GOOGLE

The New York Times has a good story today on a major problem facing women, not men. Robert Redford can be 65 and we still love him, but let a girl turn 40 and she’s out. WHY?

Comments: re this story and yr thoughts:

A Star-Studded Covey of Actresses Talk Age

While Rosanna Arquette was making “Searching for Debra Winger,” she ran into Frances McDormand in a restaurant ladies’ room in France. In this documentary, which has its premiere tonight on Showtime, Ms. Arquette explains that its subject is actresses, their love for their art, the tug of war between career and family, and the terrible fate of getting older in Hollywood.

[quote=“formosa”]Why can’t older women get good roles in Hollyweird?

nytimes.com/2003/08/18/arts/ … ner=GOOGLE

The New York Times has a good story today on a major problem facing women, not men. Robert Redford can be 65 and we still love him, but let a girl turn 40 and she’s out. WHY?

Comments: re this story and yr thoughts:

A Star-Studded Covey of Actresses Talk Age

While Rosanna Arquette was making “Searching for Debra Winger,” she ran into Frances McDormand in a restaurant ladies’ room in France. In this documentary, which has its premiere tonight on Showtime, Ms. Arquette explains that its subject is actresses, their love for their art, the tug of war between career and family, and the terrible fate of getting older in Hollywood.[/quote]

Is this a rhetorical question? Isn’t this just very similar to the concept of beauty? the image that only young women are beautiful, but that doesn’t correspond with regard to men? It’s about sex and money. How many young people (or the “prime target audience”) will pay money to see movies with old(er) people.

of course there are the few and far in between movies about 2-3 generations of women in a family (thus requiring old and older women), but very little (?) outside of this context. I was also going to add women of power, but unless someone does movies of [old] Elizabeth, or the Dowager in her old days, but wouldn’t Hollywood prefer to make a sexy (nubile) Cleopatra (ok so she died young) or a Nefertiti/Nefertiri (ok they didnt live long)?

Arguably, Demi Moore is 40.

Yeah, but she’s a freak; shouldn’t qualify for this topic since she’s doing everything to avoid aging gracefully. Perhaps she’ll soon become a female version of Micheal Jackson, by going under the knife every 6 months…

I’d much rather see Kathy Bates or Merly Streep any day!!

totally agree, 400K in surgery does not make you more beautiful, it just makes you look scary!

has anyone seen Cher recently? OHH SCARY! :shock:

Give me Kate Hepburn for enduring beauty! what about those movies she did when she was older… Pat and Mike etc. Wasn’t she in her late 30’s 40s? Not that that is OLD… in fact I think it is quite young :slight_smile:

Although I hate to do this, I’m going to quote from The First Wives Club: “There are three ages for women in Hollywood: babe, district attorney, and Driving Miss Daisy.”

Something like that.

If you’re talented enough, you can get work as an actress over or nearing 40 in Hollywood! There’s just probably not enough good scripts to go around. Look at this list:

Meryl Streep
Holly Hunter
Glenn Close
Sharon Stone
Jodie Foster
Whoopie Goldberg
Meg Ryan
Sarah Jessica Parker
Judi Dench
Julia Roberts
Nicole Kidman
Frances McDormand
Kim Bassinger
Susan Sarandon
Diane Keaton
Helen Hunt
Geena Davis
Maggie Smith
Sissy Spacek
Carrie Fisher
Madonna
Vaness Redgrave
Streisand
Cher
Joan Cusack
Stockard Channing
Sally Field
Debra Winger
Julianne Moore
Diane Lane
Jessica Lange
Goldie Hawn
Bette Midler

a friend of mine from college is a screenwriter in Hwood. Another college buddy is a producer there. They both told me, formosa, forget it. The movies today are targeted at 14 year old teen boys, so no matter how many good/great actresses there are, that is not what Hwood is about today. Sad but true. With a few exceptions of course.

But what about this kiss last night between Madonna and Britney Spears at the MTV Awards thing? That photo has been plastered on both front pages of the local evening news here and probably every other newspaper magazine website in the world. THE KISS!

famke Janssen (sp?) is around 36 or 37.

she is still and i believe will be for well into a few more decades very very hot. she turns 14 yo boys heads in James Bond

Michelle Yeoh. also near 40 i think (i mean she was at least 20-something when I was like 8 or 9. she is also ageless, and a decent actor.

but yeah, it’s all about the “target audience” the studios want.

Madonna, Alien?