Why can't the Taiwanese make a decent sandwich?

Sandwiches with three slices of bread. A sandwich in a package that appears to be two half sandwiches, but in reality is one sandwich made with four slices of bread. :noway:

Why can’t they grasp that the outside of a sandwich should be dry? Do they really shove these four-slice things into their mouths?

I just don’t understand Taiwanese sandwiches.

[quote=“trebuchet”]Why can’t they grasp that the outside of a sandwich should be dry? Do they really shove these four-slice things into their mouths?[/quote]I do. But then I do have quite a big mouth.

What’s your opinion of sandwiches made with a Breville, which have the butter on the outside? I think they’re jolly nice.

When it comes to sandwiches, eat and let eat, I say. There are enough western-style options if the four-slice gobstopper palls.

Butter on the outside of a sandwich gets your hands greasy.

But it’s worth it!

For my money, Family Store (全家) sandwiches are better than 7-11 ones. Sometimes they just hit the spot.

I don’t know where you live, but if you want a decent western-style sandwich in Taichung, go to Uncle Jimmy’s or Finga’s or somewhere.

…because they can’t make decent bread.

I went to Uncle Jimmy’s for the first time a couple of weeks ago - man, that was a sweet sandwich. Best I’ve had in Taiwan.

The biggest problem with sandwiches in Taiwan is that they always seem to be on standard white bread. Standard white bread doesn’t deserve to be called bread - it’s crap, anywhere in the world.

I went to Uncle Jimmy’s for the first time a couple of weeks ago - man, that was a sweet sandwich. Best I’ve had in Taiwan.[/quote]Right. Uncle Jimmy’s is a really nice place. The cafe is great with those sandwiches (four breads to choose from) and other good things. Then you’ve got all the imported American groceries downstairs. And the whole atmosphere is so friendly.

In Finga’s the other day, I had something called a “Reuben on rye” which was good too.

[quote=“cfimages”]The biggest problem with sandwiches in Taiwan is that they always seem to be on standard white bread. Standard white bread doesn’t deserve to be called bread - it’s crap, anywhere in the world.[/quote]I don’t know, sometimes white bread is good. Think of a slab of Cheddar with a couple of slices of beef tomato in decent fresh white bread. Or sugar on toast – that’s best on white bread, surely?

And sometimes I really do get the urge to cram a Family Store multi-slice special into my mouth. It’s not a pretty sight when I do that. But it does the job.

sugar on toast :astonished:

[quote=“smithsgj”]sugar on toast :astonished:[/quote]Don’t knock it till you’ve tried it. Apparently it is a classic Irish dish. At least that’s what two Northern Irish girls who served me said delectation told me.

I am firmly of the Nigel Slater/Nigella Lawson school of gastronomy. Away with the food snobs. Some of the most delicious things are also the simplest.

That’s 'cause it’s a ??? not a ??? unfortunately they took things literally.

It’s a

[quote=“trebuchet”]Sandwiches with three slices of bread. A sandwich in a package that appears to be two half sandwiches, but in reality is one sandwich made with four slices of bread. :noway:

Why can’t they grasp that the outside of a sandwich should be dry? Do they really shove these four-slice things into their mouths?

I just don’t understand Taiwanese sandwiches.[/quote]

Never been to New York then?

I like to get the number three deal I think it’s called at Ikari. Tuna sandwich and a latte. I pour sugar on top of the foamy milk and then dunk the tuna sandwhich in it. Wow is that good.

[quote=“Fortigurn”][quote=“trebuchet”]Sandwiches with three slices of bread. A sandwich in a package that appears to be two half sandwiches, but in reality is one sandwich made with four slices of bread. :noway:

Never been to New York then?[/quote]

I don’t recall seeing corn and mayo salad being a popular sandwich filling at the Carnegie Deli. What’s your point?

The only real sandwiches in Taiwan are at Western joints like The Good Pain (originally an S&M joint). Pricey, though, at about $150 a spanking.

This is the real issue at stake here. Obviously some Taiwanese can make decent bread, because if you go to specialty shops you can find some edible French loaves, so why can’t they try that on a more regular basis? Unfortunately its short shelf life means that bread can’t be imported all the way from home.

Related to this, why can’t Taiwanese cook pork properly? Why do they insist on undercooking it? Haven’t these people heard of trichynosis, or are they naturally immune from centuries of eating raw pork fat? Try ordering bacon in restaurant where the chef isn’t a foreigner - do they even know what bacon is? It’s supposed to be brittle and crispy. Burn it to a crisp! That’s the correct way to cook bacon. Three limp slabs of hot pork, with white fat still rolling off the sides, is not real bacon.

Howabout those cold hash-brown sandwiches they have at 7-11? Nothing like carbohydrates on carbohydrates.

Now while I 99.9% agree, the health food stores sometimes have bread that doesn’t make me gag. It isn’t GOOD, per say. But it doesn’t gag me. Has whole grains and shit.
Also, Costco has a garlic loaf that is just yummy.

[quote=“trebuchet”][quote=“Fortigurn”][quote=“trebuchet”]Sandwiches with three slices of bread. A sandwich in a package that appears to be two half sandwiches, but in reality is one sandwich made with four slices of bread. :noway:

Never been to New York then?[/quote]

I don’t recall seeing corn and mayo salad being a popular sandwich filling at the Carnegie Deli. What’s your point?[/quote]

My point is that I find the average sandwich here to be pretty much like the average sandwich I found in New York - half a loaf of bread in multiple slices, packed together tightly and festooned with a few strange vegetables or bizarre fillings (like salmon and curry, or egg and cabbage, or bacon and alfalfa, or whatever it is they stuff in there).

I always considered the multiple slices of bread sandwhich thing to be a Western invention. I don’t know when it first happened, but I can remember that back in Australia the standard sandwich on a standard sandwich plate from a standard caterer was always a multi-slice job, filled with things which looked like remnants and floorsweepings.

This is the real issue at stake here. Obviously some Taiwanese can make decent bread, because if you go to specialty shops you can find some edible French loaves, so why can’t they try that on a more regular basis? Unfortunately its short shelf life means that bread can’t be imported all the way from home.

Related to this, why can’t Taiwanese cook pork properly? Why do they insist on undercooking it? Haven’t these people heard of trichynosis, or are they naturally immune from centuries of eating raw pork fat? Try ordering bacon in restaurant where the chef isn’t a foreigner - do they even know what bacon is? It’s supposed to be brittle and crispy. Burn it to a crisp! That’s the correct way to cook bacon. Three limp slabs of hot pork, with white fat still rolling off the sides, is not real bacon.[/quote]

It must be because they’re ignorant mud people, who can’t even speak properly.