Why choose to work and settle in taiwan?

Jealous :slight_smile:
Would you not set up a minshu and have discounts for Forumosans? I guess you can’t just throw up a structure Willy-nilly?

Taiwan is also depopulating but the land price is outrageously expensive. I guess it depends how much land we are taking about.

1 Like

A Hokkaido BNB would be cool. :slight_smile:

That sounds like a great setup Winston. We’ll see what the future holds and if I can convince my girl to go with something similar down the line. I don’t really care about being part of the club much either, but in certain cities in Japan (especially Osaka…) I could sense that my presence was unwanted. Tokyo is swamped with foreigners so people there are largely neutral. The inaka is where it’s at; in small towns like Kawaguchiko and Matsushima old people and kids would wave and say hello, little stuff like that.

I’ve been thinking about building two traditional Japanese dwellings on my 8,000 tsubo farm and renting them out. Part of the experience would be giving guests names and locations of all the insider spots I’ve discovered over the years: traditional hot springs, restaurants, farmers’s markets, hikes, lookouts etc. Been trying to figure out if the economics make sense or not though.

Where I live I was the first foreigner ever to buy land on his own – no Japanese spouse – and the local government had to figure out how to go about it.

3 Likes

I still think Taiwanese women are better looking than most Koreans, even with the plastic surgery in Korea.

1 Like

For all our complaints, this from the World Economic forum:

1. Taiwan: +24%. The Asian country is seen as one of the best places in the world for expats looking to grow their careers and is fast becoming a hub in the continent for tech and finance jobs.

#whowrotethis

ManpowerGroup Employment Outlook Survey

More like “who did they ask? not me”

1 Like

Yeah, no wonder all the young professionals are leaving in droves. And Taiwan’s financial sector is a complete joke. The content of the article was provided by Business Insider. Yet another example of why I never trust anything I read in the media.

And remind me, what “continent” is Taiwan part of? C’mon, man!

This is just ridiculous.
Hub of what exactly?

Link below is its full report on Taiwan.

I, for one, just stay here because @Gain is here.

@Gain fucks off, I’m a friggin ghost.

1 Like

“Manpower”… lol what…?

Manpower needs to clarify such a general statement.

If you have few opportunities and want to come to Taiwan to teach English yes. If you’re a professional, Taiwan is not the place for advancement.

FTA :

Business Insider decided to take a look at net employment outlooks for each country surveyed and run down which nations boasted the greatest anticipated growth in hiring.

So it’s based on what local businesses claiming they will hire. I have doubts to begin with about the truth of those answers, but if they were valid hiring numbers, I doubt they would apply for non-Taiwanese looking for work in Taiwan.

The quality of that article is terrible. It’s like clickbait, but more boring.

About a week ago a local TV station ran a piece about how Taiwan was losing its own youith to brain drain but attracting foreigners, particularly in the software/high tech sectors. They interviewed several foreigners from US, Europe and Asia, and they all preferred Taiwan. One said he liked the smaller entreprise he was in, making a real contribution to the team. Others praised the friendlier and safer environment.

So I guess there are some folks out there who are doing fine, career and personal life wise, moving here. I think it has to do with the opportunities available in each sector.

Teaching is way too “stiff”, due to the indoctrination of test taking and memorization, so froeign teachers have always been a round peg in a square hole in this field. Little innovation can be made as changes have to be political, and politically speaking, it is both “stiff” and a “stiff”.

Translation has always been more of a small number of people controlling most of the market, here and everywhere. Freelancing clashes with big agencies.

Other fields where foreigners abound now are pilots -but still very dependent on their contracts, which depend on the volatile market. Some engineers and technicians in telecommunications. Not much variety.

We are not Japan in the sense that we have anything, from store front custoemr service to hotels to taxi driving, etc. open to foreigners.

From my own impression there used to be MORE foreign professionals in Taiwan. Almost all of the professionals I know have left, probably 9/10 people.

It’s probably stabilized over the last few years that’s about it. We almost never see any major REAL foreign investment here unfortunately. I can’t recall any recently anyway.
I mean multinational companies, not cayman island regs of Taiwanese owned companies.

Is there a wave of IT professionals coming over here? There were few entrepreneurship visas issued.
I do appreciate the governnent has taken quite a lot of area to make it easier to move here.
Now we need the carrot i.e. $$$ to attract people.

Aren’t there like a bazillion Indian and Sri Lankan software cats out there in Bumfuck Hsinchu??

Granted, I doubt they’re getting the fat packages, but they are foreign and they are professionals.

2 Likes

Need to check the numbers. we can see how many ppl there are from different countries but not sure if can get their industry.
As I said anecdotal so I could be wrong with my impression.

In 2013 there were less than 2000 Indians registered in Taiwan (many of whom would be students).
So unless things have seriously changed…not bazillions.

http://bubbletea101.com/taiwan-immigration-trends/

Student wise, there are 10 thousand scholarship students in Taiwan, out of about 50 thousand in total, more or less. India if I recall correctly, had like 4000 students. Would be interesting tyo see how many engineers there are.