Why dictatorships embrace religion

Fascism is more complex. Hitler was not an atheist (wasn’t Christian either), but his advisers all were, and his doctors and scientists performing the eugenics operations on Jews were all atheists.

I want Pol Pot in as well.

Outside of declaring themselves an atheist state and using Christianity for the purpose of justifying what they were doing to the Jews. I would say the rise of the Nazis were an result of the atheist movement if not a part of the atheist movement. Their eugenics idea was def from social Darwinism. And Similar to NK who may not be a textbook atheist state, they replaced religion and religious and cultural values/morals with politics.

1 Like

That’s kinda my point. Like it or not, and how much Christianity’s evolution and western civilizations changes were on each other. You can’t deny for a long long time they were intertwined for so long laws, ideas, culture like arts/music are often drawn from Christianity. I mean what are the great classical literary works from the West based in? The great artistic master pieces? You don’t have to be a theist to be influenced by Christianity in the West. It’s so deeply rooted.

And I’m not saying Theistic scientist are better or either way around. Don’t matter your world view, either you are right or wrong. I’m just saying they aren’t mutually exclusive like people seem to make it.

They didn’t declare themselves an atheist state. Hitler wasn’t an atheist. They were loaded with Christians and fine with it. “Gott Mit Uns” was still a motto. Totally off base.

What does that have to do with atheism?

NK is communist. The nazis never ditched religion. Take care of your own dirty laundry, it just makes your case look ridiculous.

You really ignored most of what I said.

I agree.

I wrote that not so clear. I mean they didn’t but pretty much acted like it.

You might have to clarify that for me.

Just thought I’d throw this in:

https://www.quora.com/Have-atheists-or-theists-killed-more-people-in-history-because-of-what-they-believe

And:

http://inplainsite.org/html/atheism_or_christianity.html

Atheism doesn’t kill people. Atheists kill people.

They didn’t outright declare themselves an atheist state. But like most totalitarian like atheist states, any religion/ reglugious acticity and thoughts that can be placed above the state was not going to fly.

The whole debate was between believers, whose views, including those regarding public affairs, are informed by Jesus.

1 Like

Of course, because they were totalitarian. But they weren’t atheist. They didn’t declare themselves an atheist state, and they weren’t. The statement “like most totalitarian like atheist states” is going back to that sample of one again. Totalitarian states aren’t atheist by definition.

2 Likes

Here’s a debate between Stephen Colbert and Jeff Sessions:
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2018/06/18/stephen_colbert_puts_comedy_aside_jeff_sessions_cites_the_bible_in_separating_children_from_parents.html

The Nazis were, if anything, neo-pagan in an approximately Norse mode.

(The church bombers in Norway have a lot in common with them. But that’s a fringe group way off in a corner of the world.)

Not by definition but usually turns that way by nature. A Theist. So basically they replace any trace of Theism with almost always an occult character.

Communism is materialistic and atheistic by definition, and it requires totalitarianism.

They weren’t going to take a back seat to anyone true. You could say the same about US and other secular democracies really. And that doesn’t take you straight to “atheist”. They didn’t try to abolish theism. They maintained it, in a form they liked for sure, but they did. And “occult” doesn’t have anything to do with “atheism”.

I don’t mean the occult in literally like they went into the paranormal stuff. Like how people say hitler and even the Kims are occult like in their country.

Hmm I don’t quite follow you. Occult?

You mean cult of personality!
Like this:
http://www.courses.fas.harvard.edu/~hsa13/imagebase/slides/10122.jpg

1 Like

Like how North Korea make up bullshit about the Kims to make them almost like supernatural like in their country

Not in they actually went digging for some secret manuscripts for super powers.