Why do cops drive like that?

The first time I saw this, I was in the back of a kindy bus, so I was kind of freaked out by it. But now, I’ve seen it tons of times and I still don’t understand.

Why do cops drive really slowly with their lights flashing but the siren off?

Scares the crims away so the cops don’t have to deal with them.

Nonsense, it allows the criminals to rethink their evil actions and repent. And it works, judging by the conviction rate. :smiley:

Because if the criminals see them first and pause, a lot less paper work for the hard working men and women enforcing the law here in Taiwan. A cop car looks way cooler with it’s lights on, and Taiwan cops are cool. Gangsters drive police cars in these parts.

[quote=“jdsmith”]
Nonsense, it allows the criminals to rethink their evil actions and repent. And it works, judging by the conviction rate. :smiley:[/quote] :laughing: :bravo:

For a serious answer (and I apologize in advance for this):

Apparently any time a cop is on an official call, including non-emergencies, the protocol is to run the cherrytop. I called the cops once on an animal abuse complaint, and the lights were on as they arrived.

To show the flag, I suspect. Heavy-handed show of force, without the bother of actually imposing law and order. “We’re here, we’re in charge. Now, please, stop messing around until they get around the corner.” Lazy bastards. Why, pray tell, do they have drop boxes, like third rate security guards, at which they have to sign in at regular intervals? Simply to make sure that they keep moving.

To slow traffic down to 30kph under the speed limit on the freeway? God, this pisses me off…You’ll be cruising at 100kph, then all the sudden the dillweed in front of you slams on his brakes, even though he wasn’t speeding to begin with. :loco:

It’s a show of force.

In the West the cherries go on in order to divert traffic and alert the neighbors of what’s up.

Here it’s seen as “Here I am…We’re doing our Job”

In reality nothing gets done by firin up the reds. People see you commin a mile away. It’s just a signal and that’s all and it works in the complete opposite of what it’s worth back home.

And why do they sometimes drive around with
only the red or only the blue light flashing?
My guess is they’re working undercover.

[quote=“Infidel”]And why do they sometimes drive around with
only the red or only the blue light flashing?
My guess is they’re working undercover.[/quote]

:notworthy:

These guys are just simply one of the biggest jokes on this island.
Just yeasterday again: In the centre downtown on the most crowded street several cars on both sides park in 2nd row, traffic hardly flows as everything is stock because of this idiots. Police drives through and so on, nothing happens.
Up here in front of our 7-11, side street with just traffic to our community, almost nothing going on in day time. 2 lines street, very wide, space on the side where some cars park and still 2 hughe buses can pass next to each other. What are the cops doing, giving away tickets because the parking cars effecting the traffic. Which traffic? Oh and the first case is not effecting the traffic, because everything is stuck, right? :laughing:

It’s broken and they simply can’t be botherd to fix it.
Ambulances also drive around with the 360’s on, even though they are not actually doing anything.

“Hello! Look, I’m an ambulance and I have flashing red lights.”

Logicless.

Driving along Minquan E. Rd. today, I came across an ambulance coming the other way, trying to turn left across oncoming traffic. It had its lights on, and no one was stopping for it. I stopped, nervously watching my rear view mirrors to make sure I didn’t get rear ended, as traffic on that road is fast. I waved for him to cross, but he couldn’t, as all the rest of the traffic just kept going. :noway: Unbelievable. I guess if he’d been in a real hurry he would have hit the siren, too though.

Because they think the lights are …uhh…pretty.

I think this is one of the most blatant examples of ‘Official Taiwan Stupidity.’
And yes, I know there are many many others; this one is just soo friggin’ blatant.

This is a question I’ve been wondering about since I first saw this bizarre phenomenon 16 years ago here. I had chalked it up to Taiwanese weirdness. Thanks for your insight, Dragonbones.

I like the military police patrols in their black cars, four chrome-domed geeks sitting like erect penises and the bright light flashing to scare-off the desserters.

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]I like the military police patrols in their black cars, four chrome-domed geeks sitting like erect penises and the bright light flashing to scare-off the desserters.

HG[/quote]

Hey, he just said “Penis”… :blush: Can we say ‘penis’ here?

penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penispenis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penispenis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penispenis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penispenis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis