Why do I dislike Islam?

My comment above was a response to this hyperbole:

I hope that makes more sense than seeing my comment in isolation. I think it is perfectly reasonable for me to clarify that I don’t think Islam is the source of all evil, while still not liking Islam.

The problem isn’t that Islam has some conception of human rights, it’s that the conception doesn’t match up to Western norms. Rightly or wrongly, that is the basis for criticism. Western culture is pretty fluid in this area, with considerable changes having occurred over time, so the inflexibility you describe is bound to be a source of friction. The question there is which outlook is superior.

Is abortion a human right?

When local Muslims Malays literally operates on different rules than none Muslim Malays and foreigners, yes.

When is this happening and what are they doing it for? A simple who,what, where and why analysis would do. Give me a example and I’ll tell you.

You’re saying it’s not reasonable to blame Islam when there’s a huge number of terrorists attacks today of people literally screaming allah akbar? If my neighbors attack me and take my resources, my logical thinking on why is they are greedy pehapse. Want my resources maybe? If my neighbors attack me screaming allah akbar for no other reason that I can think of. What is the logical conclusion on why they are doing it?

Getting desperate here huh? Turning to fallacies, I had more respect for your arguments than this.

Are they saying to strap bombs to themselves? It’s a free country, they can make the critism. You can criticize the off shoot loony Christians, but the truth is there isn’t a large percentages of them, certainly not many telling people to kill non Christians and bomb women and children. That’s the issue. No other major religions are causing issues like Islam is today currently. Unless you want to deny that.

You can keep jabbing at my personal beliefs of Christianity. But I don’t, and none of the Christians I know will force you to convert, and commit terrorist attacks in the name of God. You can point to the small number of loony’s Like Westboro Baptist Church, but how many of them are there? If you want, start your own thread and split it into why you don’t like Christianity, but this is about Islam. I’m sure you’ll find like minded people and I’ve never deny fucked up things in the past like every group of people going back far enough. Do you hold Germans accountable for the Nazis as part of your argument if they criticize other groups? Do you hold europeans responsible for colonialism when they say something to prove they are wrong? you keep ignoring major issues with Islam today.

Probably because he doesn’t have to fear for his life if he said something bad about Buddhism or whatever isms there are in Taiwan.

1 Like

Yes, sadly my professor here denounced his faith personally but can’t do it legally. He prefers to date a non Muslim women but runs into this issue.

why do you say this is not in Taiwan?

1 Like

It’s just you.

There are plenty of non-muslim countries that follow the same pattern, it has nothing to do with religion. Think of Argentina, for instance.

Ok, that’s one. But you don’t see the pattern of this play out in many Muslim countries. Move forward with modernization, getting rid of a dictator,becoming Democratic. Move backwards once the religious zealots take more power.

1 Like

I do see the pattern in some Muslim countries, but I also see it in some non-Muslim countries. Argentina is one, Bolivia, Venezuela falls into the same pattern, it’s somewhat common in Africa as well, and arguably some of the Southern European countries (though the manifestations there are more of an economic nature). Maybe it’s not an issue of religion, but rather a susceptibility to either populism or to having different subgroups of the population played out against each other.

Yes, I don’t deny many other countries struggle with similar patterns. Especially in many African nations.

But I would put forward that whether a country successfully progresses and democratize depends strongly if not solely on the culture of the people there. And I would again put forward that religion is part of culture if not the very essence of culture itself as the acting belief system. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to suspect Islam is hampering these countries from progressing and becoming more democratic. Islam has roots in tribalism and strong military autocratic rule historically. I don’t think it’s a coincidence they fall back on these systems.

Interestingly, the countries that really took off economically in the last 50-60 years did so under strong military autocratic rule. Democracy for those countries followed the periods of the most rapid economic development. Prime examples are Chile, S. Korea and Taiwan.

For our own sake, lets hope these countries don’t fall back on strong autocratic systems :slight_smile:

I don’t know about Chile but Korea and Taiwan at least had interest in advancing in modernization in all areas and building industry. I don’t see Muslim nations doing that, the people taking power seems to have zero interest in doing anything for the nation even for selfish purposes in terms of science and industry.

This isn’t directed at anybody (I stopped reading this thread at the 33rd post). Just trying to lighten things a bit.

3 Likes

Qatar, UAE, Bahrain and Saudi Arabia are all moving in that direction, with their sovereign investment funds, localisation requirements, and investments in infrastructure and education. Oman has some ambitious Omanisation programs going on.

Will they be successful? Only time will tell. I do hope they will be, because extremism and susceptibility to populism are usually more common in countries with fewer opportunities for the population (again, regardless of religion).

Yes, I agree this plays a huge part as well.

But I still think Islam played the huge part in why there are no opportunities. How did they go from the Islamic Golden age where Europe was busy warring with each other while they were far more advance to where they are now?

And almost all of the countries you listed are pretty much only in the position they are in because of oil.

It’s hard to be successful when half of the native population can’t fully engage in society because of their sex.
Then the remainder get lazy because they depend on foreigners to do all the hard stuff.
Then they have to fast for a month each year and go missing for prayers 5 times a day and can’t work certain days.
To be fair some of the Emirates are doing okay but without oil and gas I don’t think they’d survive very long.

1 Like

I saw this when I was in Sabah Malaysia, my local Native Sabah tour guide told us this was very common and would point to us the Malay houses with 4 bedrooms next to each other.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaoZh7StKIs

There’s so much to say we haven’t even brought this up yet.

It’s amazing how @tando is so quick to say I’m racist and discriminatory but completely ignores this aspect of Islam and even seems to defend it lol. Why aren’t you calling out how Christians and Jews are being persecuted in places like Egypt? Why arent you calling out how women are treated beyond what I call discrimination forced to cover themselves, limited on legal rights, and even segregated. Why the hypocrisy when it comes to Islam?

I don’t understand why people are so defensive when it comes to Islam. People who are normally so quick to call out inequality seems to just completely ignore that aspect of Islam.

2 Likes