Why do I stink of smoke?

I’ve never remembered coming back from a club or bar smelling so horribly of smoke before in my life. I made a few observations and the smoke exhaled from peoples mouths seem much thicker than it should be… anyone else notice this?

Do people just not inhale here? Or is it bad air circulation in many places?

It is a mixture of bad circulation and the fact that everyone is lighting up. By that clothing spray (they used to have Febreeze here, but there’s one by Snuggle in a tiny bottle) and spray it on the clothes you won’t wash. The Body Shop used to have spray that would take odors out of your hair. I don’t know if they have that any more. But even when I used to smoke, the smell you take home was unbearable.

yeah, you are right. coming home after a night of bars here’ll leave you reeking extra bad. i don’t smoke and have thought about this. my simplistic conclusion was that the cigarette companies are a bunch of bastards and god knows what they put into cigarettes. if marlboros are made for export do they have to measure up to US health standards?taiwan cigareetes are checked by whom, the very people who own the company? i kinda fell into the assumption that ciagrettes were so damn foul here because of extra non-tobacco additivies included to enhance taste/addicition.

happy smoking.

If you complain about the smell don’t go to these places. That is the easiest answer.

what are you people talking about any bar/club i goto in any country i smell like smoke when I leave… I think the real question should be is why don’t you like this smell

[quote=“Illah”]what are you people talking about any bar/club i goto in any country i smell like smoke when I leave… I think the real question should be is why don’t you like this smell[/quote]Spoken like a true selfish smoker. But at least you know there is a smell which is better than some smokers.

Selfish smoker?
Are you not being similarly ‘selfish’ by complaining about a person’s right to smoke in a pub in Taiwan?

If they banned smoking in pubs in Taiwan nobody would go. We are good for the economy.

Why do you people smoke in the first place? Unlike alcohol, smoking doesn’t get you drunk, and unlike marijuana, does not get you stoned. The most you get is a mild buzz. Any poisonous drug that doesn’t get you high makes no sense to me. I’ve never understood the point in smoking, other than: to look cool; have something to do with your hands when you’re drinking; to be able to use the world’s best opening chat-up line, “got a light?”

I dont even smoke… I just dont really care… nothign better then when your eyes tear up from that thick haze… but yea smoking isnt really a good vice… like the other guy said alcohol and hookers, now those are good vices…

Well, I guess you will have to get used to it…
Try Reno or Vegas, (where smoking is allowed while you gambled) that’s even worse…

[quote=“wolf_reinhold”]Selfish smoker?
Are you not being similarly ‘selfish’ by complaining about a person’s right to smoke in a pub in Taiwan?[/quote]

Do I have the right to get drunk on the job?
Do I have the right to get drunk in public and spew my beer breath in every passerby’s face, and I mean unavoidably spewing my stenchy breath directly in their face (the way secondhand smoke often is)?

No.

Now, do I have the right to get drunk in a pub?

Yes!

And there’s your answer, ladies and gentleman. Like they say, your rights end at my nose. You drug addicts don’t have the right to pollute my breathing space with your nicotine fumes. That’s why people invented pubs. So someone complaining about smoke in pubs…is like complaining about noise and drunkenness in pubs. Er, you’re sort of missing the entire point of why people hang out in clubs and pubs.

I cultivate my more offensive odors so nobody ever notices the smoke.

I’m not complaining about the smoke… because I smoke too. What I’m wondering is why in the sam hell is it so stank over here?

I honestly think more people just don’t inhale here. They smoke cigarettes like cigars.

If you’re gonna smoke you should be a man and suck it up. Take all the poison for yourself and don’t share it with others.

[quote=“MiakaW”]Well, I guess you will have to get used to it…
Try Reno or Vegas, (where smoking is allowed while you gambled) that’s even worse…[/quote]

Well, I actually think the bars/clubs in Taipei are worse than Reno or Vegas in how much your clothes and hair smell like smoke when you come out. It’s something that took getting used to, as where I used to live, smoking in bars, restaurants, clubs, or just about any public places is banned.

For your clothes, if you aren’t going to wash them right away, (coats, for example), you can hang them on a chair for them to “air” out. After a couple of days, the smoke smell is usually gone. Works for me.

Wow, I didn’t think this post would generate anything but incredulous “Stop going to pubs, then” responses.

I think the main reason is poor air circulation. Moving air about and filtering it costs money. That money will only get spent if a substantial number of customers complain. Most pub customers here are smokers, so they don’t complain. Where I come from (Ireland) it’s about 50/50 or possibly less, and smokers are in the minority in the general population. I know a pub in my homw town which has been recently refurbished has a very expensive a/c and filtration system, and on a Saturday night the smoke isn’t too bad at all. As a smoker I don’t like excessively smokey pubs either, and would welcome increased fresh air. However, I try and tolerate the weaknesses of others as best I can, and I hope non-smoking pup goers can understand smoking is an addiction which I am not proud of. I could live with an increase in the price of my pint if it were necessary to fund increased air filtration.

People who can’t hold their drink and barf all over the bogs are worse, IMHO.