Why do liberals bend over backwards for Islam?

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_9877692

What has obvious issues?

Someone picked up child marriage.

Who here is going to defend this?

Liberals, I’m looking at you?
@Hanna?

1 Like

I think nobody here.

Interesting…

Why? Has Islam suddenly become secular, liberal, and democratic?

no idea why i’m being named here. I don’t really “support” any religion. I just don’t go out of my way to criticize any, either.

I think of religion as like that group of people’s “parents.” I can say whatever I want about my own parents, their shortcomings, the ways they’ve hurt me, and so on. But I won’t talk bad about someone’s else’s parents.

It’s not that I think people aren’t allowed to criticize other religions. I just don’t do that, myself. I feel that it’s not my place. Maybe others also feel the way I do.

Because if you get too many of these threads going it just looks like Islam bashing, which is not really what we are about here IMHO.

Sometimes doing nothing is the most brave thing you can do.

You could always have bar rules - no politics, no religion.

Religion is often deeply connected to a group of people’s culture. I think that’s why I generally just don’t go there. It’s too personal. How could I understand?

My friends dad used to rape his as a child. I did nothing and didn’t tell a soul. I didn’t want to talk badly about him or have any of the other neighbors get the wrong idea about him.

This one time I got a timeout from my dad though, what a fucking asshole.

I don’t think this is comparable. The atrocities committed in the name of religion are widely known and yet there’s little we can do about it. What does making someone aware of evil events do to change anything or keep those things from happening?

Really, what are you going to do? What can you do? Eliminate Islam?

It’s better not to know about bad things. :cold_face:

What are you trying to accomplish by criticizing Islam? I’m curious.

I’m not?

What do you have against animals being killed in a humane way? I’m curious?

criticising some parts of the criticism to the Islam may be critical thinking too, and different from supporting Islam.

1 Like

Then…what’s the point?

So you make everyone aware that people do horrid things in the name of Islam. Then what? Nothing?

Do you just want to convince them to dislike it as much as you do?

“Liberals” defend “Islam” for the same reason I defend both.

A lot of liberals are idiots, but not all. Many Muslims are idiots, but not all.

Are Muslims on average a bit more stupid than say Buddhists, probably, but still not need to paint them all with the same brush.

Perhaps we we could make a distinction between stupid Muslims and non-stupid Muslims ?