Male bashing in the media

No. It should be a cause for divorce, and if you guys insist, we can keep the civil suits. But jail is not the place for adulterers, nor is stoning/caning/or any other State sponsored “punishment” or retaliation.

Too much manipulation, too many people easily duped. Otello and all that jazz. Too risky and easily misunderstood/manipulated.

1 Like

Meaning blue collars alos sign blindfold, or only white collars?

He is right though in terms that Chinese version rules, but it is quite upsetting there is no colllorary that a proper lingua franca -English for example- version can be provided. In that case, we go with what locals do and say: they say contracts in general are useless because most go against labor laws.

By that rule, then, marriage contracts should be void when the foreign spouse is duped. When your rights and limitations are not explained before you make the choice to move to Taiwan, when you are brought with lies and once here, held hostage because of your children, could we then argue that is the case for a broken contract?

Several of my friends had well paying jobs and a high standard of living in their own countries. Their spouses assured them Taiwan was a developed country, with plenty of opportunities for work, insisted their lives would be better here, so they leave everything and come with their partner, only to realize that as a housewife for exmaple, they cannot meet minimun erquirements for permanent residency, for example, nor gain custody if they do not have enough income, for starters, as their income was counted as their husband’s. If there was enough information out there about conditions here, fair enough, you did not make your research, but are if they are not being transparent, if your spouse has an agenda, can you argue that in the law?

1 Like

I might be wrong, but what Andrew says might be that you bring up too much individual cases. Though the statistics are cumulative of individual cases, and I think we need to care individual cases as well as statistics, we may need to look statistics a bit more when talking on gender issues or any other social issues.

Pregnancy is not, but many of other cases you brought up could be reversed on men and women. I think even if one gender is the majority of those who suffer from an issue, persons with the other gender suffering from the same issue should be included as well.

1 Like

Yeah, and I knew a kid in school who ate dirt.:roll_eyes:

It’s patently illegal to fire anyone for taking government-mandated sick days.
If one’s employer really does take points off one’s eval for taking legal sick days, well, sucks to be you.
Get a real job.

There’s plenty of discrimination against women in the corporate world, but it’s mostly subtle stuff.

Those who come under ESA Art. 46 Par. 1 Subpar. 8 to 11 (white collar usually refers to Subpar. 1 to 6) need to have certain information presented in a foreign language (though the law doesn’t actually require it to be their own language, just the “official” language of their country).

Assuming you’re under Subpar. 1 to 6, that rule doesn’t apply to you. There’s always the question of “intent”, but I think you would need a very sympathetic judge to get past the “you’re a translator so you should know what it means” argument.

@Politbureau’s earlier complaint that marriage “contracts” don’t exist ergo people don’t know the rules is not exatly true, as marriage is regulated by the Civil Code.

If they classify you as a civil servant, then you’re supposed to get same entitlement for menstrual leave, but subject to this proviso (Art. 2 Par. 2 to 3):

The Act is applicable to civil servants, educational personnel and military personnel, provided that, Articles 33, 34 [i.e. complaints] and 38 [i.e. penalties – though Art. 14 has no penalty anyway] of the Act shall not be applicable.

Complaints, remedies and processing procedures for civil servants, educational personnel and military personnel shall be handled in accordance with respective statutes and regulations governing personnel matters.

“Why do men get bashed for no reason these days?” If it happens for no reason, then it makes no sense to ask “why?”, but this thread is making me wonder if we don’t deserve to be bashed. In fact, it’s making me want to bash myself.

All legal contracts are regulated by Civil Code. That doesn’t explain why the marriage contract is the only one not available in written form so the contracting parties clearly understand what they’re getting themselves into.

How much detail do you want?

“Men have been punished summarily, forced out of their jobs when all they did was touch someone’s knee or try to steal a kiss,”

“Rape is a crime, but trying to seduce someone, even persistently or clumsily, is not - and nor is men being gentlemanly a chauvinist attack.”

1 Like

Good god, what clown translated that?

I’m not really fighting this because well it really proves my point, at a certain level “correcting” as you say gender equality with rules and laws becomes rather discriminatory. We can pave way with the law to makes sure as least legally, no matter who you are, you have the same legal rights. Obviously we are not an egalitarian society, so I might be better off than the average Taiwanese because I had an education abroad and there will be of course cases of unfairness to say. But there’s nothing stopping a average Taiwanese in being able to say learn English on his own or save up and go to college abroad. Is it harder and not really fair I’m just ahead of someone because I’m born into one family and situation and in the current year? Not really but legally me and other Taiwanese have the same right. I did my military conscription just as them. I know many who use dual citizenship to fly in and out. I did the one thing my country asks of me in return, and I pointed out it’s rather hypocritical of women in Taiwan saying its not fair when men have been doing military conscription since my fathers time. He was stationed at one of those islands close to the mainland and the situation was different than. Also I think it was close to 2 years men had to do back then.

And I’m not really going to fight a committee that’s obviously hypocritical and basically proves itself worthless.

I just don’t think modern main stream feminism is helping or even bringing up much good points and fighting for the right things these days. That’s not to say there are real womens issues in the world. Obviously like I pointed out women in saudi arabia have it rough. But in the west, and even in taiwan, things for women in 2018 are actually more and more in favor of them in many cases. And I think i’ve even made some good points of many areas where men are in a worse position than women now. I’m not sure I would say this even 10-15 years ago. But in 2018, I actually believe things overall are very much equal, and there are some outliers of situation where women are in a better position in.

We can pave the way with the law, but what if the road is so unevenly potholed that we need to pave more on one side than the other? Using the same amount of asphalt on both sides would cause an uneven result, and if this road is the legal/administrative system itself, then having an uneven road means the goal of ensuring everyone legally has the same rights is not met.

People usually say proof is in the pudding, not the number of cooks in the kitchen or their demographics. Have the committees failed to get results or been unfair to men? (I haven’t looked into it. Maybe Hsinhai knows.)

Here’s another one for you.

Maternity leave: 56 days
Paternity leave: 5 days (formerly 3)

Is that fair? :ponder:

Nope, I’ve always advocated for more. I don’t think I’ve brought it up on this thread. But I think it’s just as important for the child for both parents to be able to be there for them.

Okay, so when gay couples are allowed to be married, assuming they keep the same system, will it still be unfair? Maternity leave, after all, is “production leave”, and paternity leave is “accompanying production leave”.

So for a lesbian couple, the birth mother will get 56 days, and the non-birth mother will get 5 days.

For a gay male couple using a surrogate, both fathers will get 5 days (assuming the surrogacy arrangement is considered kosher).

Idk, I asked my my gay couple friends who’s been together for a while if they really wanted to get married by a state institution. I wonder what the complaints are going to be as I imagine there will soon be a large amount of gay marriages breaking up.

There is parental leave. If I’m not wrong, ether parents can take it.

In Taiwan? There is. I took 6 months off after the birth of my second child. My wife’s on commission so the law didn’t really translate to her work anyway. She just took a few months of unpaid leave and went back to work.

Either parent can take the leave in the first 2 years of the child’s life. I think there were a few strings attached beyond that but it’s easy enough to do.

This was interesting , in terms of a fair representation of data.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2GkXJJdDV4

Since Comrade Politbureau loves to make fun of Atwood fans like me, let’s hear from… Atwood herself! :astonished:

Highlights:

There are, at present, three kinds of “witch” language. 1) Calling someone a witch, as applied lavishly to Hillary Clinton during the recent election. 2) “Witchhunt,” used to imply that someone is looking for something that doesn’t exist. 3) The structure of the Salem witchcraft trials, in which you were guilty because accused. I was talking about the third use.

Such things are always done in the name of ushering in a better world. Sometimes they do usher one in, for a time anyway. Sometimes they are used as an excuse for new forms of oppression. As for vigilante justice – condemnation without a trial – it begins as a response to a lack of justice – either the system is corrupt, as in prerevolutionary France, or there isn’t one, as in the Wild West – so people take things into their own hands. But understandable and temporary vigilante justice can morph into a culturally solidified lynch-mob habit, in which the available mode of justice is thrown out the window, and extralegal power structures are put into place and maintained. The Cosa Nostra, for instance, began as a resistance to political tyranny.

Fallout:

And more fallout:

479x650

1 Like

Feminism has nothing to do with liberation.