Male bashing in the media

Everything you mentioned I find to be not true and you can’t back it with any statistical numbers or specific incidences so what can I do? The continual division of people, and they use to do this with classes of people is nothing new. It’s totally a neo marxist idea. Women have every right legally a men does in Taiwan, and actually don’t have the burden of conscription as well like others mentioned. It’s not legal to discriminate on a job based on gender here like many countries. If you find a particular incidence of it, let me know. I will fight it with you and stand up as a human being and not as a man or women for equality.

of those 6.4%, they on average make more. Clear? I’m just showing how it’s easy to cherry pick statistics and ignore what may not be in the numbers.

I don’t know how it is in Taiwan, but in my country it is true.

There still exist strong social and cultural input to kids that most of professional things, politics, business, science, engineering, etc etc, are things for men, and women’s jobs are caring family, cashiers, sweepers, nurses, baby sitters, etc.

The legal system itself is not so unequal, but practically it is not much equal. There are women in the fields which are regarded as men’s, but they are considered as special women. Many female students are as competitive as their male counterparts, but many of them even not think to go into those fields, because it is deeply planted in their mind that those are jobs for men. Those who want to be in those fields surely need to clear some barriers which male students don’t need to recognize.

Conditioned/encouraged by who? I hope the answer is not going to be “teh patrarchy” or something like that, I can’t roll back my eyes so far in early January, I need to save some of that for the rest of the year.

1 Like

Here is my main point, I know women face different challenges men do. Men also face many challenges. Men are 97% of combat fatalities. Men pay 97% of Alimony. Men make 94% of work suicides. Men make up 93% of work fatalities. Men make up 81% of all war deaths. Men lose custody in 84% of divorces. 80% of all suicides are men. 77% of homicide victims are men. 89% of men will be the victim of at least one violent crime. But I continually see articles like the one i mentioned as a rally cry for how men treat women. If you give me a specific incident or some law or lack or legal rights women have, I will happily look at it and go to bat for equality. But i’m not ok with seeing a continual bashing of the male gender when most of us are decent human beings.

4 Likes
2 Likes

Yeah, they stood out despite having gone through BS their male counterparts didn’t. But I’ll also bet that they’re not in the top 3 or even top 5 of that 500 list, which again, they are the few outstanding. But we’re talking about the opportunities given.

Also curious to see your source for salary.

actually 3 of them the 21 women CEOs in the forbes list are the top 10 highest earners of that list.

Hundreds of thousands of years of history. Every generation is influenced to a degree by the previous one. We’re breaking away farther from the time when women are considered objects, but like, it’s 2018 and we have a robot on Mars. Why is it still the norm that women “marry into” a family and give up her surname? Why is it normal that kids still take the dad’s names, if both parents are supposed to be equal?

1 Like

Those are not forced legally. If you personally want to, you and your partner dont have to do that. My mom didn’t take on my dad’s surname.

Statistical disparities aren’t prima facie evidence of discrimination, else professional basketball is one of the most racist, sexist industries in America. Actual evidence of discriminatory practices is necessary to establish the true reason for glaring statistical disparities and, if it is racial or gender discrimination, should be relatively easy to produce at least something of.

2 Likes

That’s nice, but I just looked it up and just like I predicted, they weren’t in the top 3 or top 5.

But again, the point isn’t about the small handful of top 10 (although 7 out of 10 still are men). It’s the widespread opportunities. It should be alarming and cause for change that 84 out of 100 of high responsibility jobs have been given to men.

Why?

But you have your dad’s name. So you see, learn to distinguish de jure and de facto. People wouldn’t give an iota of thought to a child taking their father’s surname. But if hypothetically they took their mothers (not in a single-parent situation, but when both parents are present, loving and involved), even if people are fine with it or whatever - it usually elicits a “oh cool” or “interesting” or some similar kind of thought. So how are people still accepting the child taking father’s name as the norm? Like, hyphenation or some other smarter solution isn’t now common. This truly baffles me.

Well, I can link government statistics as to land ownership and work conditions. You can also look them up in DGBAS data bases or media or women organizations.

You are Taiwanese. You sould know the laws here are written in grey and that the judges are dinosaurs with too much power.

Because women are 50 % of population and not represented.

Beacuse ther eis no balance in terms of women, minorities, etc when it come sto power decision.

etc.

Equal opportunity. Are you trolling?

perhaps like I said, more women make choices to not be CEOs. You can’t force people to do jobs and take positions they don’t want or just put them there so you get a 50/50 split.

You ask my mom and my dad what they want in life, you would get a drastically different answer. One was a top CEO in Taiwan who didn’t go to college but a trade school to be an electric engineer. I watched this man spend his whole life working, he was just a engineer who later founded a company to compete with the one he was in. He worked more than I can ever imagine and I would listen to him coming back at 4am in the morning throwing up from drinking with clients and get back up at 7 to go back to work the next day.
One was waitress who later finally went to college and got her degree at age 40 for social works and spends all her time volunteering and raising me. She speaks, writes, reads 3 languages fluently. So she isn’t stupid and in many ways smarter than my dad.

Would both of them like to make millions and be CEO and have no relationship with their family and other people and have much free time, no. Would both of them like to volunteer and stay at home and raise children, no. Are both of their roles just as important in different ways, yes. I don’t understand why we have to break it into men and women, people make different choices.

If you ask me Andrew, asian Americans don’t become fortune 500 CEOs why don’t you want to break that and take your father spot and take that company to the top…well because I don’t want to do that with my life. Don’t force me to or judge me because i’m somehow disappointing my group of demographics for my personal choices. You can’t have it all in life.

2 Likes

Not really. It is all over the board, even worse in medical and technical fields, in spite again of women having mroe experience and degrees. In Taiwan.

The lack of women in traditional alpha male roles could just as well be because the majority of women aren’t interested in sacrificing family, relationships and quality of life for a traditionally alpha male role. Citing nebulous reasons like conditioning rather than HR hiring and promotion practices is just hand waving.

As for surnames, my son has his mother’s Chinese surname and my European surname.