Why Do Shy People Look Mean?

[quote=“bobepine”]Here’s one thing I like about shy people. They may not speak as much, but they think before they open their mouth.
Having hired hundreds of people in my life, I can also vouch that shy people make for the most dependable employees, too.[/quote]
Bollocks! Of course you like shy people becuase you yourself are shy. And because you’re shy, other shy people are safe to you.
The way you described it, it sounds like as an employer you’re discriminating against extroverted, confident people, just because you’re shy.

Shy people, just like not-shy people, have their advantages and disadvantages in work/business. Depending on type of business entirely. So you can’t generalize like that.
Most businesses I’ve worked in, shyness would have been a big DISadvantage and for me to employ a shy person would be a risky thing to do. But that’s just my experience and to say that extroverted, confident people are better employees would only be true in ‘my world’.

[quote=“tash”][quote=“bobepine”]Here’s one thing I like about shy people. They may not speak as much, but they think before they open their mouth.
Having hired hundreds of people in my life, I can also vouch that shy people make for the most dependable employees, too.[/quote]
Bollocks! Of course you like shy people becuase you yourself are shy.[/quote]Not sure I understand what you’re saying. You are not shy, does it mean you prefer people who are not shy? Some of my friends are just about as extroverted as it gets. I do not see the correlation you are making there.

[quote]The way you described it, it sounds like as an employer you’re discriminating against extroverted, confident people, just because you’re shy.[/quote]Not really. I never hired people based on that. Just an observation taken from my own experience.

[quote]Shy people, just like not-shy people, have their advantages and disadvantages in work/business. Depending on type of business entirely. So you can’t generalize like that.[/quote]True, depending on the job, being NOT shy can be an indispensable asset. Let’s just say that the work I hired people to do did not require people to not be shy. Extroverted people often turn to arrogance when challenged by customers in the service industry. Moreover, I found shy folks to be more dependable. Very well sounds like a generalisation, I realise that. Just how it worked out for me.

Hold on hold on…

ahem

Maybe they don’t mean to.

Thank you.

Hold on hold on…

ahem

Maybe they don’t mean to.

Thank you.[/quote]

Maybe they are frustrated because in being shy they aren’t able to communicate what they hope to, and then maybe selfconscious on top of that, now that we’ve been suggesting they also look mean they will end up looking even meaner due to utter frustration and humiliation???

Good lord, whathaveIdone???

I like shy people!

But I like the kind of shy people who open up once you’re nice to them, and not the ones where you can know them for friggin years and they’re still “shy.” :raspberry:

Shit, I mean, :rainbow:

No,not “mean” mean, but as in, my “point.”

Know what I mean?

awwwww maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan :s

[quote=“tash”]

Sounds like a disease. I hope it’s not contageous. Can’t you take something for it?[/quote]

Yea, the cure is way too much beer and presto! shyness gone.

As an egomaniac extrovert, I think shy people talk too much.

This thread has an overabundance of the word ‘shy’. The only shy folks I have ever seen have been very young children, teenagers, or those wet-blanket type of adults who look anything but mean.

‘Shy’ has such a negative social connotation, like the person described as such has some emotional defect. I would posit that many of the so-called shy people {excluding kids, teens, & wet blankets} hold much more positive attributes. I know myself from personal experience that many of the non-social types are the folks that one can depend on in a dire emergency type situation, and that the social types are more often than not just a thin-skinned ballon letting off hot air, and who often fade away when shove comes into confrontation with holding fast.

As for looking mean, some of the most decent people I have met have looked like Beezelbub on a beer binge.

Appearances can be deceiving. It’s the lean and mean that measure the mostest, while the inane & the egoists have only played the boastest.

Beware of those with a smile most often etched on their mug. Smiling is like farting; to obtain maximum results it’s oft a wise move to let them both out gingerly. As in tactically… anything else is mere showboating , and as such, shows a perpetual weakness of character, usually exemplified by verbal diarhea, an overbearing volume, and an extremely insipid & limited range of conversation. And that’s when they’re sober… Have a few beers in these vile specimens & it’s Amateur Drunk Night…

So if you See Me Getting Shy,…
Knack Me Down!
:grandpa: