Why do so many people hate France?

In my own experience, the French are great people. I never had these bad experiences with them that so many people complain about and the jokes. I don’t get it. I had a French gf long ago in Paris, sweet girl, lovely country. I think this anti-Frog bias is all in the head, and maybe part of anglosaxon arrogance. Americans seem to hate the French the most. But I am an American, and I love France,love the French,the food, the people, the language, the cinema, the thinkers, the artists,the women, the newspapers, everything. I just don’t get this dump on the French thing, but I suspect it comes from the same place that the dump on the Jewish people camp comes from. Non-French whites seem to hate France,but this bias does not exist in Taiwan or in Japan or in Korea.It must be some kind of jealousy envy insecurity on anti-Frenchy people’s part. I don’t get it.How can one hate an entire culture?

Good jokes for Jay Leno, but that’s all. Vive la France, I say!

They beat us in the Davis Cup a couple of years back over there. Pricks were acting like dickheads everytime Hewitt was trying to serve, then when their dropkick was serving, you could have heard a pop off. Wankers.

americans are too self-absorbed to hate anyone that much. i mean how can you hate someone you don’t care about? never knew the french were disliked that much in kiwi land, but i still think the brits take the cake for hating the french.

think of it this way, americans are arrogant and pushy, but at least we have the economy and military to back it up. the french are unsufferably arrogant and pushy, and they aren’t even the most powerful country in western europe.

the beautiful girl who is self-centered and stuck up is somewhat less grating than the ugly girl who’s self-centered and stuck up, i think. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes Flipper,
The French have no right to their arrogance; they still haven’t accepted the fact that they lost Waterloo and that English - and not Frog speak - is the international language.
And you are right regarding America - as the world’s sole superpower it does have the right to behave like an arrogant prick. America continues to attract the best brains from around the world. Must be for a good reason! Just a pity about the crap TV, sports, lawyers, soap suds beer, and loud fat-ass women!

[quote=“almas john”]Yes Flipper,
The French have no right to their arrogance; they still haven’t accepted the fact that they lost Waterloo and that English - and not Frog speak - is the international language.
And you are right regarding America - as the world’s sole superpower it does have the right to behave like an arrogant prick. America continues to attract the best brains from around the world. Must be for a good reason! Just a pity about the crap TV, sports, lawyers, soap suds beer, and loud fat-ass women![/quote]

That’s fat-assed to you, bucko. Of course, you’re either kidding or in the throes of a bout with the grog.

Agree on the TV, lawyers, and the beer. But sports? We suck at football (as in, well, you know) and don’t really know what cricket is, but there is no greater way to spend a Sunday afternoon with than with a group of buddies, several six packs of Mexican beer, some good Polish sausage, and an NFL or NBA game going on the tube. Add 10 points if you can get your girlfriends to hang out and celebrate halftime with you. Ah, memories.

1. Collaborating bastards.
  2. the Maginot line.
  3. Nuclear tests in the pacific
  4. obstinate foreign policy with one goal: oppose the US.
  5. They pulled out of their obligations to NATO during the cold war
  6. They continue expanding their Nuclear power program although they know it’s inefficient as a matter of national pride.
  7. l’academie francais–an institution that decides what is french.
  8. hypocracy over climate control policy.

I’ve met several frenchies, and I haven’t liked anyof them. Most of them have a sophomoric attitude toward world affairs. I’m sure there are plenty of nice french people, I just haven’t met them.
I’m glad to know that hatred of the french is nigh-universal. i’ve made friends with brits, germans and dutch based on our mutual hatred of the french.

Because Jean-Luc Picard crosses his legs like a girl.

And how about Pepe La Pew? Or the Lebeau, the little chef guy from Hogan’s Heroes?

The British view of the French… yeah, we like to make fun of them but its all because, secretly, we want to be a bit more like them… Its the same as the way we make fun of the Irish, the US, the Aussies…

OK.

Maybe not the Irish. :laughing:

I agree re the crap TV.

And I agree that the US has some bad beer. (but so does everyone else (I believe Foster’s :x is actually NZ owned).

But PLEASE, don’t say that ALL American beer is bad… that’s just not true. Many of our microbrews are absolutely fantastic, and have been winning awards all over the globe, and have been well received by British, Irish, German, Czech and Belgian brewers (and drinkers too). American microbrews include just about every style of beer I can think of, and we have our own hyper-hoppy ales that many Europeans like. And for those of you who like strong beers, America has the two strongest of all… Sam Adams Millenium at 24% abv :shock: and another fine brew by Dogfishhead (in Delaware) at 23.6% abv :shock:

So, blast away at crappy Anheuser-Busch… but don’t tar all our brewers with the same brush :slight_smile:

Some British and American men have a sense of inadequacy because Gerard Depardieu and Christian Toma (that guy in the Cointreau advertisement) can pull any woman they want just be saying a line or two of French.

[quote]And I agree that the US has some bad beer. (but so does everyone else (I believe Foster’s is actually NZ owned). [/quote] :shock:

scrub-australian.com/english/fosters_ing.htm :smiley:

So Foster’s was originally brewed by Americans…that explains it! They came and left their crap beer and left before they got discovered :smiley:

It sounds both unappealing and unhygienic.

[quote]It sounds both unappealing and unhygienic.[/quote]Bloody Yanks, can’t do anything right :wink:

At least, French beer is better than the few kinds of corn -rice American brewed shit i have tried. i just love 1664

Why do so many people hate France?

Like Mallory said of Everest:

“BECAUSE IT’S THERE.”

I don’t think Europe will ever be a happy place for the English while the French have any say in anything at all.

Personally, I am in favor of England becoming a part of the United States. I believe we should enlist American technical help in detaching England from Scotland and Wales and relocating it just to the east of the Bahamas. Americans (or at least Floridians) will then have a natural hurricane barrier, and an opportunity to learn real sports and correct use of language. A sweet deal, n’est-ce pas?

I guess French and English has been conflicting for ages. Take “French leave” and “filer a l’Anglais.”

ax

Maxymise, great idea man, lets teach them REAL sports and how to use correct English :wink:

As for Fosters beer, I think it sucks big style. In my opinion most of the best beer comes from Belgium.

I have many friends through-out Europe and they are all as much against the French as the English, Americans and Kiwis.

You must be joking. Anytime a guy in his 50s with a big belly successfully seduces an attractive woman, I have hope for my own future. Go Gerard!