Why do some foreigner NHI cards say "外籍 foreigner" but others don't?

I have noticed that some foreigner NHI cards say “外籍 foreigner” but others don’t. Here is an example from Google images. Why is this? Does your NHI card say foreigner under the photo?

3837808049_66c6fa424d

Interesting. My original NHI card didn’t say that, and my replacement (lost card) that I got in 2014 doesn’t say that either.

If you know, when was this card issued?

Is it because said foreigner has used a Chinese name?

What’s the benefit of getting one of these ? I’ve been to the hospital once and I can’t remember being asked for this

Was is changed at some time?

1 Like

For my replacement card, mentioned above, my Chinese name was printed even though I didn’t ask for it (my previous card had my English name). But there’s no 外籍 printed anywhere on it.

The apple daily article said
毛燕明指出,為避免再引起外籍人士不滿,健保局已開會檢討,考慮於未來製卡時取消「外籍」字眼,至於已發出的20、30萬張外籍人士卡片,基於經費考量,健保局無法全面回收重製,若持卡民眾真的無法接受原卡,則可自費200元重新製卡。

2004/02/22

Costs less to visit the quack

I’m one of those oldtimers who still remembers the cards where you got a stamp on the back every time you visited the doc. So, I received one of the first of the IC chip cards now used. It has my ENGLISH name, no Chinese name, as well as 外籍 in big bold font under my picture (a picture of a big white face, ironically).

It’s easy to assume that there’s some racist motivation, but we don’t pay more than locals for our insurance. Perhaps some subtle racist underlying assumptions, who knows? It might be to alert the staff that this person might not speak Chinese well, so to be careful to ask about potential allergies, etc.

When I sign in to a new doc or clinic, I always use my Chinese name, as it’s my official name of identity in Taiwan. I overheard a nurse once ask colleague how to call my name (since the NHI card uses my English name, but my registration is in Chinese). She said “AhDohGah (big nose)” I said “here, be careful of your Taiwanese” in Taiwanese. She replied 「好恐怖」 which I assumed means “how terrible” but then learned can carry a positive meaning, such as “how shocking!”. Still not sure on that one.

P.S. I’ve seen my university students who still have their original ID cards from 14ish years ago. They are baby pictures. Cute, but pretty ridiculous if you consider the rationale for photo ID. Plus, it makes me feel old :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Mine doesn’t have 外籍 written on it, doesn’t have a picture either!

Did the original NHI cards not have pictures?

Ha ha, what is it, some famous gangster’s business card that get you free healthcare?

My card is from about 15 years ago, I guess. No “foreigner” tag. No Chinese name (they told me there weren’t enough lines, it has to be one or the other.) Yes photo. Yes chip.

From the context, this sounds like a joking compliment about your Taiwanese ability.

You have to pay full price if you dont have

How much is that ? I cannot remember how much I paid when I went but it couldn’t have been a lot as I dont remember it.

How much does one need to pay to get the card?

The order of 1000NTD per month. It depends on the category of your qualification to enroll and your or your spouse’s income.

Though, if you have been here with an ARC continuously for more than 6 months, it is a mandatory insurance. If you are not employed, and have not been here continuously for 6 months, you cannot enroll.

Oh, I been here over 6 months already. I guess I need to enroll then. I can just go to any NHI office and show my ARC and get it sorted out ?

I am on JFRV, but not employed.

It is not NIA but NHI.

To be qualified, you should be here for 6 months without going out for a day, or actual 6 months with one trip abroad not exceeding 30 days.

https://www.nhi.gov.tw/english/

https://www.nhi.gov.tw/english/Content_List.aspx?n=C88B41A4EAB5E692&topn=778856C209BCE527
Enrollment
Foreign Nationals from Hong Kong, Macau, China, or Other Countries who Reside in Taiwan with an Alien Resident Certificate (ARC)

Typo in my last message, I meant NHI.

So, this means that if I done more than 1 trip abroad(in my case about 10) in the last 6 months I dont have to enroll ?