:facebook: Why do Taiwanese have so little confidence in their own country?

mine too

1 Like

Immigration laws I agree need a big shake up. The adultery law is pretty backward being a criminal offense. Clearing out the public side walks of people who think but do not own themā€¦ The list could go on. However, things are coming along well for example animal rights issues, and I could rally off a list of complaints about country of origin more than Taiwan.

2 Likes

The only sustainable basis for a group identity is perception of a common interest. A common enemy will amplify the effect, but you canā€™t have a common enemy without commonality.

They need to understand fully what the stakes are - what they stand to gain and what they stand to lose.

The people of Hong Kong seem a lot more proud of Hong Kong than the Taiwanese of Taiwan.

Socially, I much prefer the company of Taiwanese. But in a fight, Iā€™d rather have the HKā€™ers on my side if I must choose between the two.

Agreeableness has limitations.

2 Likes

Good analogy. I canā€™t stand Hong Kong but they certainly know how to put on a good riot perhaps thatā€™s the ex British connection lol

Taiwanese were known to have huge battles and riots in the pastā€¦the island was barely governableā€¦but Japanese and KMT did their best to wipe out troublesome locals (little known but Japanese killed 14,000 locals when invading Taiwan).
The sunflower movement was pretty big just a few years ago .

1 Like

Not what Iā€™ve heard. Thereā€™s no nationalism there either. HK people are rugged but that place is more money-grubbing and individualistic than even Taiwan.

i think the DPP taxi drivers can cause a shitload of trouble if it came to the point of riots, etc.

Probably because few people outside Asia even know what or where Taiwan is. A country not really known for anything other than being a supplier to Apple and other electronic companies. Very low salaries compared to other developed countries. I donā€™t even know if Taiwan can be considered a developed country. It is probably the least wealthy of the four Asian Tiger economies now. No major diplomatic allies, the few remaining ones are being poached and switching recognition to mainland China.

4 Likes

Itā€™s got a marketing problem for sure.
The common refrain from folks ( mostly Westerners but also Asians) when I tell them I live in Taiwan.
Why Taiwan ?

1 Like

low salaries, expensive everything, housing unaffordable, raining almost everyday, pollution, scooters everywhere, grumpy people, If I grew up here , I would have left long time agoā€¦

2 Likes

The salaries are very low for the average grunt , once you get into the engineer or government jobs it gets better. But it is always annoying when newbies sayā€¦ ā€˜But Taiwanā€™s cost of living is sooooo cheap.ā€™. Sure, if your buying $50 biandangs or costco hotdogs, driving a secondhand scooter, living in the deep south on a duck farm and only buy local

For things like gas, telecommunication, and rent (not in Taipei) things are cheap but everything else absolutely not. The streets are all littered with $1500 a plate restaurants which only the 1% go to, brand name clothes are overpriced, car prices are high, imported meats and products at Costco high.

The grumpy people seem to be mostly in Taipei though, go south and the people are downright friendly.

3 Likes

oh usually they tell me ā€œI love Thai girls too, and the beaches are terrific in itā€
Maybe we move in different circles. At least your friends actually know Taiwan is not Thailand.

3 Likes

If itā€™s supplying electronics to all these companies, then it sounds like a developed county to meā€¦

1 Like

Taipei city is definitely very well developed apart from Lungshan area or as @Andrew0409 calls it the Compton of Taipei:rofl:

To me a developed country is synonymous with wealth and good infrastructure and good social services with a solid middle class. Taipei or even Taiwan does not appear on the surface to me like a world class city or country. Iā€™m sure the wealth is there, but when you compare Taipei to Seoul or Tokyo or Hong Kong it looks like the Compton of the major East Asian capital cities. Just because Taiwan is the heart of the worldā€™s tech supply chain doesnā€™t mean it is an extremely developed country. It is considered a developed country, but in my opinion one of the lower tier ones.

1 Like

hmmm :ponder::male_detective:

1 Like

No major diplomatic allies, other than the USA. Forgot about that

The U.S. isnā€™t a diplomatic ally.