Why do Taiwanese just sit back and watch?

Driving completely plastered and high as a kite on a mixture of speed, bing lang and whisbih are other contributing factors…

The natural state of business, bureaucracies and government is to be corrupt and inefficient since all sink to such a level from time to time, and remain there if if left unreformed. Taiwan is the way it is because they have not yet developed the mechanisms to constrain corruption, to safeguard against abuses, and to provide a legal system that has enough bite to prevent or at least discourage the powerful or unscrupulous from shitting on the weak.

I’m back in British Columbia and what do I see? Hundreds of condos lining the shores of the Fraser River covered with tarp to protect them from the leaking caused by shoddy construction. I see flooding in the same areas that have been affected for 40 years. I see flooding exacerbated by homes being built in the mountains. I read about corruption and inefficiency in the RCMP.

I see a federal government still in pain over the sponsorship scandal that nearly brought them down. I recall the fiasco of the super ferries a few years ago. Hundreds of millions spent on poorly designed ferries that eventually had to be sold off. I remember Socred Premiers lining their pockets.
I read the US papers and I hear about IBM trying to buy families so they don’t sue over pollution. I read about Superfund pollution sites in poor areas that rarely receive attention because they are in poor areas. I see tax breaks to the rich, contracts awarded and positions awarded to government allies, and corporate scandals involving billions. I recall Enron, Martha Stewart, Conrad Black.

Wondering why Taiwan is the way it is, is a little like wondering why a child that is rarely or unevenly disciplined is not better behaved.

As for people not complaining, I don’t know where this is coming from. Yes, some are too apathetic or scared to, but you only have to recall the past election to see how passionate people are becoming. Taiwan has one of the highest voter turnout rates in the world. Here’s a recent artical about the rise in civic groups.

english.www.gov.tw/index.jsp?id= … viewdate=0

People are organizing and things are changing. I don’t expect miracles, bureaucracies are notoriously slow to change, but they will eventually improve here as they have in all economically modern countries.

Anyone with illusions that the UK does not suffer from its fair share of corruption should have a look at Private Eye. Doncaster council even has its own column.

One thing Taiwan does have is a free (too free?) press. Whether this just execerbates apathy and feelings of helplessness, I don’t know, but I feel it’s a force for improvement.

Most people here do really earn bugger all. So we foreigners get to mix with the rich as well as the poor (but mostly the rich), but most people are desparately struggling to get by. That they pay attention to politics at all is amazing. I have had conversations with Taiwanese people who are less outraged by the prospect of a CCP invasion than many foreigners. They say no matter who is in power they’ll be poor and get shat on by the government.

Look at Florida. Winds no stronger than we had here a couple of weeks ago, and less rain, and the whole place gets blown away. People sleeping on gymnasium floors. Same as they did last year, and will do next year after they’ve rebuilt their little matchbox houses. Someone drops a fag in California and all the houses burn down. People are surprised. You’d think they’d have cottoned on by now to not build little shacks out of wood.

The Brits can’t deal will leaves and snowflakes on the train tracks. Yeah everyone’s pissed off about it, but has anything been done ? No.

These things would not be tolerated in Taiwan.

Just trying to put it in perspective, not trying to take the piss out of anyone. Too much, anyway. :wink:

Why do you think so much meeshel? Smile and be happy! Go to KTV. Eat too much. Get drunk every weekend and watch TV every night. Work too hard at a job you hate and kiss ass a lot so that you can spend a fortune on fashions and cosmetics that make you look like a psychotic whore. Wander around wondering what is going on. How did I get here? What is this thing for? Breath a lot of auto exhaust. Sit in front of a computer untill you have a pot belly, emaciated arms and legs and a permanent bruise on your butt. Worship those assholes from Sex in the City. Six inches is an even trade. Any less he pays you. Any more you pay him. Go to English classes but forget to learn anything. Don’t ask questions unless they are stupid ones. Fate is preordained. You can do nothing but eat, drink, sleep, work, watch TV and sit on the toilet.

Bob, don’t be a putz.

Meeshel, keep asking questions. There are no dumb questions, just writers getting carried away with their answers.

Down Bobby, down. :slight_smile:

Some wise person once posted that to survive Taiwan, you can’t think about changing them.

Bob, don’t be a putz.

Meeshel, keep asking questions. There are no dumb questions, just writers getting carried away with their answers.

Down Bobby, down. :slight_smile:[/quote]

Um, I thought it was really good advice :stuck_out_tongue:

Why? Bob you sound like a brain-washed Mainland Chinese language exchange partner I had years ago. She said exactly the same thing…
To answer your questions: Because I like Taiwan and care.

Another question:
Why is half of Taiwan under water after a little rain? Never heard of any other country getting flooded that fast…

Wondering if the Ma Yingjiu is going to pay for all this since his MRT seems to have caused most of the flooding.

Meeshel you seem to care about Taiwan but then criticize the MRT. Seems to me this is at least the second time I have heard you criticize it. I don’t get it. The MRT might not be perfect but it is certainly a big positive for this city. It is certainly one of the most forward looking, environmentaly friendly things I have ever seen done here.

bob have you not watched the news? It seems to have been the unprofessional and corrupt building of the new MRT line in Taipei City that has caused a lot of the flooding recently. For example the one tonight at yongji rd and the one again in sanchong…

MRT is a good thing and eventhough the new line would be very, very convenient for me, I don’t think I will ever use it after watching the news for the past few days…

I went back to find these wise words posted in a thread called “what I wish brought” in the “Living in Taiwan” forum. Worth repeating (ad infinitem)

[quote=“stan”]Pack the following:
a whole box of patience,
1 open mind,
a good book on cross-cultural differences and the 10 cultural variables,
a positive attitude,
a sense of humour,
a little bit of diligence and work ethic

Leave the following at home:
the I-will-make-Taiwan-a-better-place attitude,
the we-don’t-do-things-like-this-in-US, AUS, NZ, CAN, SA attitude,
the I-will-teach-them-how-to-drive, cook, think attitude

Everything else you can buy in Taiwan: from spareribs to disposable underwear. Believe me.[/quote]

Take these words to heart and you’ll save yourself some stress :sunglasses:

Don’t worry meeshel by the time it is finished it will safe for you to use.

[quote=“mesheel”]Taiwan has always been and still is governed by such corrupt and self-centred people who only think of their own good, their childrens immigration to the US, buying houses in the US, their Swiss bank account, their party staying in power etc. that I do not really see much hope for Taiwan at the moment.

Why do people in Taoyuan have to live 2 weeks without water?
Why are houses topling when the Taipei City government is trying to build an MRT system?
Why are fake gutters causing flooding?
Why was Sanchong flooded for the first time in 30 years?
Why are people in flooded areas provided with mildewed water?
Why are investigations of corruption affairs being held at a minimum?
Why do people vote for corrupt officials who obviously have connections to triads?

If all this and much, much more was happening in my country, people would get on the streets and fight for their rights.

Why do Taiwanese just sit back and watch? I don’t get it… :noway: :help:[/quote]

Oh they did something, the stood in the streets beating on their garbage pails about lack of water… I have always had the feeling that the Taiwanese are really just by nature a group of gentle souls, and because 228 incident compounded with a bunch of other shit, they have like anyone else, thrown up their hands and just tried to make the most out of it…It gets very very tiring to go up against attitudes that are firmly grounded.

Bob…thanks, but I don’t really trust that MRT system anymore since the reasons for the flooding 3 years ago where discovered.

What has given some of you folks the impression that the Taiwanese would, or even could, stand up to the PRC? Have they actually stood up to anything in the past? I mean, they’re pretty good at running away, but to be victorious? Please…

I wasn’t referring to the PRC-threat. Maybe you should start the habit of reading the first posts before giving your opinion on something… :loco:

Nope, not going to do it. Not going to read your post. Sorry, nope, nadda.