Why do Taiwanese travel to Osaka so much (besides the cheap shopping)?

As someone who spends (based) most of time in Kaoshiung, but travel to Japan often (once a month on business) I find most of the flights these days have lots of Taiwanese, much more than Japanese. From Kansai-Osaka on many days there are 30 flights(most to TPE, some to Kaoshiung and one to Tainan) on ten different airlines. Even with 30 flights or more a day, there are times it’s hard to get a seat. My co workers (Taiwanese) like Osaka less (one prefers Sapporo other Fukuoka) so I was wondering why people like Osaka. I try get my coworkers from Taipei go to Japan for monthly meetings (it’s often cheaper than me going to Taipei, if I get Japan airline sale tickets, and they like Japan better than KHH ha) and thinking reasons Taiwan choose a city in Japan (other than shopping which Taiwanese and others do a lot in Japan these days with cheap prices in Japan).

I think it’s probably because Osaka is less congested and the atmosphere is more laidback and Taipei-like as compared to a couple of the other major Japanese cities.

1 Like

Does japan really have cheaper prices compared to Taiwan? I remember it’s not cheap when I went.

1 Like

Do they look like business people or families or tourists?

Osaka has a lot of common industries with Taiwan electronics, machinery, etc. It’s an easy flight. Kyoto outside of Osaka attracts a lot of Taiwan tourists.

1 Like

Osaka is much nicer than Tokyo, has great food and people, and easy access to Kyoto/Nara/Wakayama areas too.

and some things are cheaper than Taiwan. but not fruit…

It’s good for a quick stop, then on to Kyoto and Nara as others mentioned .
I think Osaka is very similar to Taipei some ways, the way the city is laid out, the business style there. It even has polluted and rather smelly rivers lol. I used to visit for work quite often.

I actually think that Taipei and environs are substantially nicer and more interesting than Osaka actually ! ( Not including Kyoto…)

The great food and the cosplay.

2 Likes

I agree Nara and Kyoto is nice. We will escape the madness in Osaka the last weekend of this month in Nara and in Fukuoka (all the big world leaders will be there in Osaka, with it comes higher security in the City). As for prices and eating out/food? For me local Taiwanese meals are cheap in Kaoshiung, but in many cases Japanese food (same chain shops) are cheaper in Japan (same standard, lower standard food can be had in Taiwan at low prices), and same standard Western/International in often cheaper in Japan (at least more choices than Taiwan and thus big price range) . As far as shopping more choices in Japan I guess makes lower prices. As far as people, humm… Osaka people are somewhat more relaxed but from my point of view not as much as Taiwanese and I feel the difference is not as great as Kaoshiung/Taipei people’s stereotype of each other. (My standard maybe be unfair as mixed Japanese growing up very relaxed place and influence of Kaoshiung friends and their life making outsides from Southern Taiwan seem not so nice). Anyways interesting to see the comments above, and I guess maybe because as posted above Osaka in near and Taiwanese see love to travel out of Taiwan as it seems most Taiwanese have gone overseas (in comparison less than 30% Japanese have passports)

1 Like

japan seems to be the first place Taiwanese will choose to go on a holiday. they like japan a lot.

3 Likes

Kyoto

Biwa

Nara

Takeshi!

https://youtu.be/p3mExFjpxuk

2 Likes

It’s funny. Both Taiwan and Korea were colonized by Japan. But today Korea hates them, and Taiwan loves them.

3 Likes

Taiwanese like to visit out of the way places, countryside. From Osaka they have travel plans, like Fukuoka, small train lines, out of the way sleepy towns. They have tours for the fruit and vegetables farms.

1 Like

Taiwan is so small most of us have seen 80% of it already. Japan makes sense as an alternative…Lots of.diversity, easy to get to, relatively cheap compared to yesteryear. Most Taiwanese didn’t go when young because it was so expensive.

1 Like

It can be depending on season. A lot of times it’s cheap relative to other possible destinations in Asia in peak tourist seasons from tw

1 Like

免稅泡麵

2 Likes

lolz

I guess for me, it costs a lot since I like to eat. Japanese food is served in pretty small portions, especially in japan. I usually go eat some ramen after i eat at a restaurant lol.

Mostly true but if you hit up the right Izakaya you can get a lot of food. What’s better than vending machine soba noodles in the subway there? Im with you on that.

Osaka is good place to visit bc its close to Kyoto, Nara like others said.

1 Like

Certain things are cheaper but day-to-day living is certainly not. But it has gotten a lot cheaper now in comparison to a few years ago since JPY took a nosedive in like 2015.

I guess from Osaka it’s easy to get to other cities in the region like Kobe, Nara and most importantly Kyoto. I found it pretty boring though. Probably because I hate shopping.

Yeah that’s true.

Me either, I only go get the thing I want and leave after. Or I look at things in person and buy it on amazon lol.