Why do Taiwanese travel to Osaka so much (besides the cheap shopping)?

Japanese food can be really good and I enjoy the staples, but I find the flavors kind of repetitive after a while. One of the many reasons why I couldn’t live in Japan long term, but think it’s perfect for a vacation.

This is true. The food is relatively healthy though so I enjoy that aspect.

I am a ramen lover though, I could eat it all the time. And each region in Japan has their own style so that’s pretty cool. The japanese are actually pretty creative with food, but sometimes in a gross way.

Korea had the unfortunate geographic location of being between China and Japan. They both had take Korea to get to each other.

They’re no fans of China. But they REALLY hate Japan. My Korean students were practically celebrating after the 2011 Tohoku tsunami.

This is interesting, since I see lots of Korean tourists in Japan and I guess in Fukuoka they may be the bigger source country (not surprising since it’s so near, you can take boat even!)[quote=“DrewC, post:24, topic:180537, full:true”]
They’re no fans of China. But they REALLY hate Japan. My Korean students were practically celebrating after the 2011 Tohoku tsunami.
[/quote]

Arrivals in Japan//

COUNTRY AND REGION MARCH 2019
Korea 585,600 Visits
China 691,300 Visits
Taiwan 402,400 Visits
Hong Kong 171,400 Visits

That’s pretty appalling.

3 Likes

Koreans have been known to be … hypocritical from time to time. They like to visit places and then bash them and their people privately. Not all. Some don’t care about all the nationalist bullshit and like Japan fine. But many really, really, really hate Japan. Call the body of water between Korea and Japan the “sea of Japan” in a crowded pub (or hof, as they call it) in Seoul and try to walk out alive (Or call the Dokdo islets by its Japanese name of “Takeshima”… or say Japan doesn’t owe an apology to the Korean comfort women… or do one of a thousand other things they’re sensitive about… and see how quickly everyone turns on you)

2 Likes

I agree.

You can thank the KMT for making many Taiwanese love Japan. They treated the Taiwanese like shit after they lost the war and made many long for the days when they were occupied by more civilized people.

5 Likes

Yes I know hate Japanese or all non Koreans. It comes out more after they have been drinking a lot. But still travel and trade is big between them, They do not let that get in the way of trade unlike America and China.[quote=“DrewC, post:27, topic:180537, full:true”]
Koreans have been known to be … hypocritical from time to time. They like to visit places and then bash them and their people privately. Not all. Some don’t care about all the nationalist bullshit and like Japan fine. But many really, really, really hate Japan. Call the body of water between Korea and Japan the “sea of Japan” in a crowded pub (or hof, as they call it) in Seoul and try to walk out alive (Or call the Dokdo islets by its Japanese name of “Takeshima”… or say Japan doesn’t owe an apology to the Korean comfort women… or do one of a thousand other things they’re sensitive about… and see how quickly everyone turns on you)
[/quote]

Eh due to fears of the epidemic of African porcine fever, we cannot take meat sause pao mien to Japan nor bring any pao mien with any remnants of meat in them from there.

otherwise you face a 6500 USD fine imn Taiwan and about 10k in Japan.

1 Like

In summary:

1. is the ticket to Osaka cheaper than say Tokyo or Hokkaido? Yes? So Taiwanese choose the cheaper option.

2. Are hotels cheaper in Osaka? yes? same.

3. Is Osaka placed between attractive places, like Nara and Kyoto, from where you can get back to a cheaper accomodation in Osaka? yes? So OK then.

4. Can you get around in different means of transportation with an economical single pass? Do you have a reliable and interesting network of trains and shuttles clearly marked for tourists? So yes.

5. Can you shop to your heart´s content and get a discount with tax rebate? Yes? Everyone loves discounts.

EDIT
Shameless link:

Arrivals in Japan//

COUNTRY AND REGION MARCH 2019
Korea 585,600 Visits
China 691,300 Visits
Taiwan 402,400 Visits
Hong Kong 171,400 Visits
[/quote]

Why do Americans think if people go somewhere they must like the place? It’s like hey, these people down in Chile want to emigrate to America, they must love us!

No, actually they just want a job.

EDIT
Shameless link:

[/quote]

Thanks for the link, I like #21, which I can also get in Kaoshiung (off the menu item, you have to ask). #17 My mom likes it even in Hawaii too, for me even in Taiwan it’s cheaper and still preferred the boiled ones at local shops. I like #9 and #10, though you can find it Taiwan (in fact lots of better eel comes from Pingtung vs. cheaper ones from the mainland, it’s an area where Taiwan can fell high standard food)

Probably the biggest reason is that Dotonbori Shopping District. That place is bananas. It’s like Ximending’s Big Brother on steroids. That place has everything.

I also doubt that everyone’s going to Osaka. You can transit to Kyoto very conveniently from there. And EVERYONE who goes to Japan has to visit Kyoto at least once.

1 Like

Yes this shopping area is popular with tourists, so much so many of the staff speak Chinese makes it’s easier for Taiwanese.

Very true. I found my self speaking Chinese sometimes in the drug stores in Japan the last few visits.

1 Like

[/quote]

Why do Americans think if people go somewhere they must like the place? It’s like hey, these people down in Chile want to emigrate to America, they must love us!

No, actually they just want a job.
[/quote]

It’s small percentage that are going for work, less than 1%. I seldom see Japanese immigration ask Taiwanese if they going for work, they tend ask more what people are bringing such as gold (they have been flight attendants bringing gold, as will a girl wearing gold bra). If your going their single they tend ask more questions vs. in a family or group.