Why do the lights take so long to turn on?

I am sure this has been covered, but I did a search and came up empty. Why do lights take so long to come on? The light in my bathroom is so slow that I turn it on as I walk in and I am usually finished peeing when it comes on. It doesn’t bother me that much (at all, really) but I have always wondered.
You know, at home when you turn a light switch there is light…

wiring
Taiwan
no good

I have to click some lightswitches in our house two or three times to get them to fire up.

In Taiwan they have special switches, they let electricity go drip by drip.

Or the starter or ballast is almost at the end of their lifetime. Maybe the lamp is leaking neon gazzz.

If you use fluorescent lights, it is normal especially when it’s time to change them.

jdsmith,
My bedroom light. 3 times exactly.

You might need a new charger.

If it’s a strip light, there should be a cylindrical fuse which plugs into the light assembly. If you wriggle it a bit, sometimes it fixes the light problem temporarily.
You could get a new fuse and this fixes the problem 9 times out of 10. If it doesn’t work, then it’s time to replace the whole tube. Change the fuse first though, as it’s cheaper to buy an unecessary fuse than it isto buy an unecessary flourescent tube.

[quote=“SuchAFob”]I am sure this has been covered, but I did a search and came up empty. Why do lights take so long to come on? The light in my bathroom is so slow that I turn it on as I walk in and I am usually finished peeing when it comes on. It doesn’t bother me that much (at all, really) but I have always wondered.
You know, at home when you turn a light switch there is light…[/quote]
Your lights are no doubt fluorescent bulbs, which take longer to light up than incandescent bulbs. On top of this, the older a fluorescent bulb, the longer it takes to turn on. If you replace your bulbs with new fluorescents or with incandescents, you should see an improvement in “on” time.

People in Taiwan love fluorescents. I personally can’t stand them - they give me a headache.

[quote=“Chris”] If you replace your bulbs with new fluorescents or with incandescents, you should see an improvement in “on” time.

People in Taiwan love fluorescents. I personally can’t stand them - they give me a headache.[/quote]

And or start with the little round jigger. I call it a starter. Whatever it is called, its cheaper to try it first. I thought fluoro were more expensive for short term use but found this:

[quote]For all practical purposes, there is no extra energy required to start fluorescent lamps. At the very worst, assume the power consumption
during starting might be 2X the running power (this is much too high an
estimate, but read on). However, the starting event is over in about 1
second. So, even if starting does take 2X the running power, it only
uses the same energy as 2 seconds of normal operation.
[color=red]You never save energy by using an incandescent lamp in place of a fluorescent lamp.[/color] [/quote]

Many people in Taiwan love bright light, dim light is bad for fuuuungshuuuuiii :laughing: (fong shoo-e)

That is such a screwed up system. It must drive them insane with the lack of logic. They try to put all these hallways into houses to direct the flow of energy :wanker: and that makes so many dark areas, then they want to get more light.:loco:

On top of that the locals want to keep the curtains shut all the time. I’m fighting a losing battle to keep my beautiful views of tree tops directly out the windows. My local wants to close us in like a prison in the dark AND FOLLOW FONG SHOO-E).

I want to start an anti Fung Shui uprising.

Definitely change your starter. If it doesn’t get better, then change the tube. Simple and common problem. I’ll send you my bill in a week. :wink:

[quote=“SuchAFob”]jdsmith,
My bedroom light. 3 times exactly.[/quote]
Are you sure some of the bulbs in your bedroom haven’t gone? My bedroom light has three switch positions for one, two or three bulbs on at once. Flip the switch once for one bulb, flip it again for two, and again for three. If one or more bulbs have blown, not all the selections will work.

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“SuchAFob”]jdsmith,
My bedroom light. 3 times exactly.[/quote]
Are you sure some of the bulbs in your bedroom haven’t gone? My bedroom light has three switch positions for one, two or three bulbs on at once. Flip the switch once for one bulb, flip it again for two, and again for three. If one or more bulbs have blown, not all the selections will work.[/quote]

I hate those things. Fifteen seconds of Daley Thomson’s Decathlon just to get enough light to read a book.

Low voltage may also caught a fluorescent to take longer to light. You’re probably getting at least 100V which is within tolerances. Any less and I’d get a plumber in.

The Taiwanese like strip lights because they’re cheap. No other reason.

I just noticed somebodies lights slowly turning on in another thread.

[quote=“Ironman”]I just noticed somebodies lights slowly turning on in another thread.[/quote] :laughing: Self-deprecation too.

My subject heading was [quote]Re: Please send me out for a swim with the other fish.[/quote]

Your may be coming swimming as well.

Should be good.