Why do they litter like that?

I just went to fuel up the bike at the gas station down the road and since it’s a single lane uphill twisty road, I had to follow a Ford focus up the hill…and you would all be amazed at the trash that came flying out of the passenger side as I followed it…I’m talking about everything but the kitchen sink…it just kept coming…What the hell posses someone to chuck any kind of trash out of their car window like that?..Havn’t the locals noticed that the island is quite small and green space is limited?..That deserved a good ass kicking for sure! :fume:

The US used to be like that until Lady Bird started a big ad campaign.

Yeah, definitely something wrong with that. We’ve all littered before, but I put even small garbage in my pockets when I’m out and about and have no access to a garbage can. These people just chuck it out the window. Nice.

I remember going on road trips with my parents whan I was little and watching them throw all manner of garbage out of the window yet put the cig buts in the ashtray for fear of starting forest fires. Then they would open the door and dump the ashtray on the ground when they were stopped somewhere like a rest stop.

I imagine it’s the same kind of mentality here.

I never followed that behavior once I learned that it was properly wrong, by the way. I often have garbage in my pockets.

Dirty bastards still do that all over the countryside in Scotland. Fridges, old beds, all manner of shite. Just country bumpkins being country bumpkins. There are just more of them here, so it’s more noticeable.

My father was an environmental inspector after he was long retired from his regular job. He had to go out in the boonies and knock on people’s doors who got complaints and had to clean up the upside down cars, bathtubs, etc. on their lawns. He definitely ran into to some retards doing that.

I don’t throw trash, but man it gets really tempting when you start looking for a goddamn trash bin around here. There seem to be just none around, so how can you educate people to ‘bin it’ if there are no bins around?

I am actually surprised the trash situation isn’t any worse that what it is. :s

Because they have no pride and no brains … tofu does that count as a brain?

[quote=“Truant”]I don’t throw trash, but man it gets really tempting when you start looking for a goddamn trash bin around here. There seem to be just none around, so how can you educate people to ‘bin it’ if there are no bins around?

I am actually surprised the trash situation isn’t any worse that what it is. :s[/quote]

I carry a trash bag in my car and just throw the stuff in there till I find a disposal unit. After a week’s road trip there’s a lotta shit in there.

I think part of the problem is when a society moves from agricultural to industrial as Taiwan has over the last fifty-odd years. In ye olden days virtually everything was recyclable and biodegradable and if it got chucked out something would eat it or decompose it. Along comes the industrial revolution but people’s habits don’t change (don’t get me wrong I’m not trying to excuse the hillbillies, rural or urban).
To improve the situation there has to be a society that cares, strong enforcement of anti-litter laws and education in the schools to get the kids aware of the problem and that they shouldn’t necessarily do what mama and papa retard do. I’m sure it’ll happen in Taiwan maybe quicker than you think but for the moment expect to see more of that. (in Ireland we still have a problem with litter louts though I think it’s better than it used to be. And in England it was surprising how much of a problem it still is). If it’s any consolation the mainland is a lot worse. (I wouldn’t want to lie on the ground in Shanghai)

[quote=“Taiwanlight Zone”]I think part of the problem is when a society moves from agricultural to industrial as Taiwan has over the last fifty-odd years. In ye olden days virtually everything was recyclable and biodegradable and if it got chucked out something would eat it or decompose it. Along comes the industrial revolution but people’s habits don’t change (don’t get me wrong I’m not trying to excuse the hillbillies, rural or urban).
To improve the situation there has to be a society that cares, strong enforcement of anti-litter laws and education in the schools to get the kids aware of the problem and that they shouldn’t necessarily do what mama and papa retard do. I’m sure it’ll happen in Taiwan maybe quicker than you think but for the moment expect to see more of that. (in Ireland we still have a problem with litter louts though I think it’s better than it used to be. And in England it was surprising how much of a problem it still is). If it’s any consolation the mainland is a lot worse. (I wouldn’t want to lie on the ground in Shanghai)[/quote]
Taiwanlight Zone, welcome. Good post. At least you’re offering an explanation for why it might be happening. As with most things, there are likely many reasons mixed together. My assessment is somewhere between yours and Belgian Pie’s – selfishness. It is convenient to throw trash out the window and inconvenient to keep it until later. If a person is not inclined to consider others or the environment, then the decision to litter is easy.

[quote=“Truant”]I don’t throw trash, but man it gets really tempting when you start looking for a goddamn trash bin around here. There seem to be just none around, so how can you educate people to ‘bin it’ if there are no bins around?
[/quote]
That frustrates me to no end. I think it’s part of the same tendency toward stinginess and shortsighedness. Better to almost promote littering than spend a few bucks on public trash cans. However, this too is societal vs. governmental. When the government puts out trash cans, often people take the time to walk their household garbage to those cans and dispose of it, thereby saving a few NT$ for themselves, causing the cans to be removed, inconveniencing non-litterers, and in the end, thwarting a good public cleanliness strategy.

Actually, it is worse than it is. To be clearer, have you ever gotten a good look at the streets before the broom and bicycle brigade comes out in the early morning? Especially in Taipei County (vs. city). If those sweepers took a week off, the prevalent public attitude towards littering would be quite obvious.

Leave it on the street, don’t clean it up. Maybe than, they start to understand they can’t just throw it out … ney … they just don’t give a shit … they want to live on a garbage dump :s

I’m glad someone mentioned the street sweeping brigade. They are the heroes and the villains in this comic opera.

I’m pretty sure that a lot of people litter partially because they know that what they throw out will be cleaned up within 12 hours. If the street sweepers were put out of a job and a big anti-littering campaign were pursued, we might begin to see changes.

I never litter. If everything they throw out is cleaned up in 12 hours how come the place still looks like a tip?

Seriously now, a big part of the problem (and indeed the solution) has to be education. When I was growing up in New Zealand there were “Be a tidy Kiwi” logo’s on every school exercise book, the concept was pushed heavily in the 1970’s and New Zealand still prides itself as a “clean green” country. Notwithstanding we have our share of littler bugs.

Interestingly enough, the taichung so-called city workers have been trimming the long grass along the long road up to my place…and i’m amazed at the trash that is showing up after the grass is trimmed…it’s like a full on trash dump along the road…just on my way into the city this morning, I saw the remains of a burnt scooter, a busted mini fridge, tons of betel nust boxes, millions of cigarette packs and a few billion tea stand drink cups…now the question remains as the if and when will they cl;ear the garbage and the grass they cut…probably never! :fume:

Back in South Australia in the early 70’s ( I was a child!) we had a campaing called Keep Sth Aust beautiful or KESAB which still exists to this day AFAIK. Basically, if you saw somebody litter you would say “Drop something?”, politely letting them know that you saw them.
It worked really well, as people became embarassed when outed as litterers and we reeducated ourselves as to the irresponsibility of polluting our own backyards.
Not sure how it would work here though, considering the whole face issue. Am almost certain there would be ‘litter rage’ incidents all over the island with the ugly types who dont give a shit about anyone but themselves.
The government and schools need to educate people as to what legacy they are leaving the subsequent generations, or what they are depriving them of! Taiwan needs to make a better effort at conservation, period.

There are lots of Taiwanese who I know would agree that the littering situation here is horrible, and they hate it as much as most of us do. I have many friends who feel very embarrassed about this. The problem is, that’s only a relatively small segment of the population (who cares that is), and even the ones who care don’t do anything about it (other than not littering themselves, but they wouldn’t chastise a passer-by or relative or something like that) … it’s just not the “Taiwanese” thing to do. There has to be a paradigm shift in mentality here before society as a whole starts to change on certain crucial issues, such as the environment, copyright protection, rule of law, etc. Unfortunately, the majority of society still don’t see these things as problems, so I don’t foresee things changing much in the near future. More importantly, the government doesn’t really see it as a problem, so they won’t enforce things properly … and to top it all off, “progress” has always been a very, very, very sloooooooow process over the course of 5,000 glorious years of Chinese civilization … whey back when, it was Confucius who proclaimed that the old ways were good, new trends not … and although he was probably misinterpreted somewhere along the line, those kinds of values have continued to permeate Chinese culture up until the present day … don’t think for yourself, don’t insult others (like telling them to pick up their trash), don’t challenge the ruler (i.e. pressing the government to do something good), know your place/role in society and stay there, blah blah blah

That’s the non-of-your-business-complex (syndrome?) they have … don’t see, don’t hear, don’t speak … :smiley:

How do you think Taiwanese would respond to a bunch of foreigners all going out in a massive pack (2 or 3 doesn’t quite count as a massive pack, but 7 or 8 might pass for one here) all with matching T-shirts and going out to clean up a badly littered area? T-shirts all read:

We Care. Do You?

我們關心台灣﹐你呢﹖

Do this weekly for a couple months, then done monthly until there are results.

Whatcha think?

[quote=“puiwaihin”]How do you think Taiwanese would respond to a bunch of foreigners all going out in a massive pack (2 or 3 doesn’t quite count as a massive pack, but 7 or 8 might pass for one here) all with matching T-shirts and going out to clean up a badly littered area? T-shirts all read:

We Care. Do You?

我們關心台灣﹐你呢﹖

Do this weekly for a couple months, then done monthly until there are results.

Whatcha think?[/quote]

We could get deported for participating in an activity that is not in accordance with the purpose of stay listed on our ARCs.

Not to mention, I think we’d get a lot of self-righteous people telling us “this is not your country, go home!” and other xenophobic stuff.

So no, I don’t think that would go over too well …