Why do women change their surnames?

It seems to be a cultural norm for women to change their surnames to that of their husband’s after marriage. And it’s not just a “western” thing. I’ve seen it in Asia, too.
Seems a tad misogynistic.
And the double-barreled ones. Xiaojie Wang-Jones?
Why?

2 Likes

I’m a man and I’m the one who changed surname after getting married.
Is that a bad thing?

Internalised misogyny from the patriarchy.

Incontinentia didn’t. She remained a Chen.

4 Likes

Why would you need to, RickRoll Huang?

1 Like

I didn’t need to.
I was a choice so we all would have the same surname.
I fail to see the problem with doing it :thinking:

3 Likes

Well, it strikes me as bizarre, but whatever rocks your boat, man.
My point is that women are forced by patriarchy into changing theirs. Actually, mostly not forced, they WANT to.

I agree with you that being forced is not cool.
If they want, however, let them do it.
I don’t see it as a patriarchy thing, rather more like a way to show family unity.

3 Likes

That’s sweet. So why doesn’t the man change his surname?

I come from a Spanish-speaking country, and I’ve always found odd and troublesome that women in other countries change their last name. What do they do with their publications or certificates, or even bank accounts once you get married (or divorced)?

1 Like

Not to mention the ridiculous cost and pain in the ass of having to get new passports, ID cards, driver’s licenses, etc. Just to show that you now belong to the Jones clan.

2 Likes

What do you mean?
That’s exactly what I did!

2 Likes

Did you have to change it on your passport? Driver’s licence? University degree? Taiwan ID? Bank accounts?

I guess not.

When I got married, they insisted on me having a Chinese name. So I transliterated my first name and added my wife’s surname. It only shows on my APRC. Pretty insignificant and painless.
And you’re entirely missing my point.

1 Like

You didn’t have a Chinese name on your ARC?

Nope.

huh. How about that. Are you losing sleep over the patriarchy now? Should everything that’s always been done that way end because they seem unnecessary? Should Hindus wipe with the right hand and eat with both, after washing?

1 Like

You know I’m not conservative, mate.
But you’re not answering the question. “But it’s always been that way” doesn’t quite cut it.

Doesn’t it? I don’t have problem with tradition. Why do you?

1 Like

I don’t either, as long as it’s not misogynistic or discriminatory.

Coverture.

1 Like

No. It was not necessary.

Yes.

No. I don’t think it would matter.

Yes.

Yes.

You guessed wrongly.

I think you are missing my point.
I did exactly the same changes my wife would need to do had she taken my surname.
We just decided that I would do the changes, not she.

5 Likes