Why does a certain segment of the white population in Taiwan insist on calling themselves immigrants?

I don’t think its fair to label taiwanese women as rainys. I wouldn’t put them in the same category as the average chinese girl.

Dadada

Derpy goes to a white people party in South Singa Kong… :cocktail:

A: It’s so good to live the expat lifestyle. :sunglasses:
B: Good? I don’t know. My maid doesn’t get along with my butler. :sunglasses:
C: Tell me about it. My cheetah doesn’t get along with my unregistered Filipina daughter. I mean they do when they’re at home, but she took the cat to her international school for show and tell, and it pissed on the teacher. I think they padded the dry cleaning bill, not that I care though. :sunglasses:
A: How about Thailand, Derpy? What’s your package like? :sunglasses:
D: Um, well in Taiwan most of us don’t actually have packages… :hushed:

Dead silence. :cactus:

A: Oh, immigrants! I read about those. :sunglasses:
B: Oh yeah, like my maid. :sunglasses:
C: Oh yeah, like the mother of my daughter. And my cheetah I suppose, though the dealer claimed it was local. But you can’t trust them, not that I care though. :sunglasses:
D: No, no, you don’t understand! We’re not immigrants – we just, uh, well… :hushed:

:cactus:

A: Oh look. The interwebs have a bazillion pages on “white immigrants” in Thailand. :sunglasses:
D: Taiwan. :hushed:
A: Oh, just half a bazillion then. :sunglasses:
B: Who did you say invited you? :sunglasses:
D: I’m an old friend of… :hushed:
A, B and C start walking away from D.
C: Anyway, so the other day I told the maid to take Chester to the vet, and she was like “but it’s my day off”… :sunglasses:

6 Likes

I’ve met WAY more Asian people like that western here. Like really way more. I get its all the rage now.

But in all seriousness, why are white people not immigrants?

I’m white, have an aprc, I came here as a very late teen, lived off 10k/month for longer than i will admit. Paid off a loan that allowed me to fly here. Worked my ass off 12 to 20 hours a day for many years. I’ve gone hungry and lived in shitty rat infested “homes” like many do. In fact I still live in an old Japanese house. Never paid over 5k rent. Granted always lived in the south. Now I’m making good money. But my not being Taiwanese has made nearly everything in life except random mostly meaningless greetings more difficult from a legal standpoint trying to make my way here, to a very extreme extent. And I come from perhaps the leading social justice country in the world with all this privilege . And I do.say I am an immigrant here. Because I am. So why would people find white immigrants strange? They are common.

5 Likes

I need to check my privilege. Wait… I can’t find it!

1 Like

I hesitate to ask, but wtf does “rainy” mean?

I think it’s an oblique Zimmerman reference. :musical_note: :howyoudoin: :speak_no_evil:

Maybe it’s referring to “squirters.”

That’s what I thought:*

Then I saw this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/China/comments/2jy0jn/why_does_rchina_call_chinese_girlfriends_rainys/

*For the record, I don’t mind the above song, but I more a fan of this one (in true Dylan style, Mr. Owens did a little bit of interpretation):

Note to self: stay away from reddit if at all possible.

In situations like these, I just go where Google leads me, unless it looks like it’s leading me (1) to the middle of nowhere, (2) to malware, (3) to possible legal problems, or (4) to other truly undesirable places.

1 Like

There are a few okay sub-reddits out there, but I definitely stay away from any and all expat ones.

1 Like

This sounds like a good rule of thumb.

Sometimes you don’t realize until it’s too late. :hushed:

(Re: Nazi group) Heritage, not hate!

“Migrant” and “immigrant” both have multiple definitions, some used by the UN and other agencies–and yes, “expat(riate)s” (another contested term) do qualify under some of these.

On Reddit, r/Buddhism has no such problem, but we do get regular posts by people threatening to commit suicide, trying to stop masturbating, or wanting to know the Buddhist view of psychedelic drugs. Plenty of relationships issues that have nothing to do with Buddhism (although a few ask if Buddhism allows relationships at all), plenty of problems for which “go see a counselor” would be the best advice, also students writing papers on religion.

R/Armenia gets a few racists (anti-Turk, anti-mixed-race Armenians), but they tend not to get a good reception. Plenty of Turks and Azeris post asking what Armenians think of Turks and Azeris, or if it’s safe for them to go to Armenia. (Some are Turks who have just found out that they are really part Armenian.) Right now most discussion centers on recent political events.

“Jesus Christ, Reddit!” is the best of all Reddit pages, though!

I kinda like that Rainy term. It fills a gap in our lexicon.

“You fancy Ladies Night at the Monkey?” “Nah, it’s the same bunch of Rainys every week.”

What I don’t understand is how you can pose like you’re coming from a position of superiority yet sound like you hide socks in your pocket.

1 Like

Would take this Rainie as a g/f, and twice on Sunday.

Love the term Tim Budong. If I gather, it is the FOB that has no language skills and hereby requires a sleeping dictionary. But how would you call one of those who have been here for years and still cannot even order at McDs?

Every time I read about these girls who look for foreigners I am reminded of a very sad tale, well two. One is this guy who gottrapped by this ambitious “take me to America” type. Soemwho, he extrincanted himself from his claws. Two months later he called us for help getting his certificate of singlehood from his local representative office. He allegedly had impregnated a girl, which we later found out was another “take me to America” type. Cherry on top is she finally convinced him to go to the US… where it was discovered child was not his.

Second story involves ganster and a beating so to make the long story short: don’t!

so, OP’s question is why white people in HK, Singapore, or Korea do not move there to live permanently, but the certain segment of white people in Taiwan does?

In HK, Singapore, or Korea, there are no white immigrants living there permanently?

I don’t think that’s what he’s saying. He’s suggesting that expats here think of themselves as “immigrants”, but expats in other countries don’t.

There’s tons in all 3 places. Each probably has more than Taiwan. Hell, HK was a part of the UK until ‘97.