Why does Forumosa keep kicking me out?

Hi

Whenever I click “Reply Topic” and type my reply, when I click “Submit” I get kicked out and have to log in again, plus my reply disappears, which means this probably won’t work either. Why?

See what happens when you piss off Maoman? :smiley:

No, seriously, you are probably on an Internet service like AOL which routes your HTTP-requests over a lot of different IP addresses, via proxies and so on.

PHPBB tracks your IP address with your login to prevent certain types of attacks and spoofing. So when you log in from 216.232.11.9, and then your post comes from 216.244.87.151, PHPBB automatically forces you to log in again.

That or maybe you’ve turned off cookie acceptance in your browser and are rejecting all cookies from Forumosa.

Recently I have had a similar problem. It is usually after I have clicked on new and have read one of the posts. I have to re-log in, which is fine, but it does sucks to lose all the new posts :frowning:

I’m not getting kicked out, but I am losing all new posts from time to time.

It happens to me often. So I don’t think it’s my browser because for the most times things are fine. It just logs me off.

Also, email notification doesn’t work well. Sometimes works, sometimes doesn’t for the same thread either I browse the thread or not.

Some of the advertisement and banners sometimes appear on top of the thread itself and the only way to read the content is to refresh the page.

The “where can I find” link in the site map is broken. You’ll get this message
The forum you selected does not exist.”

Slackers! :unamused: :wink:

bobepine

The same happens to me occasionally on Forumosa and very frequently on Taiwan Ho. Correcting your computer time might help - Right click on the time (probably at the bottom right hand corner of your screen) and go on from there. If this really works for anyone, please let us know!

[quote=“jdsmith”]I’m not getting kicked out, but I am losing all new posts from time to time.[/quote]I occasionally get that but it’s been better recently. To avoid losing new posts, try doing this:[quote=“joesax”]_As_soon_as_you get the first page of new topics, go down to the link for the second page, right-click and select “Open in new window”. Do the same for subsequent windows.

If you are too slow doing this and someone posts in the meantime, you should be able to get back your full “new posts” list by clicking “new posts” again then following the above procedure again.[/quote]If you’re using tabbed browsing as in Firefox, Opera and some add-ons to Internet Explorer, it’s much easier to do this.

Are you clicking on the ‘remember me on this computer’ button, or whatever it’s called, and have you enabled cookies for this site? (Click on Tools then Options, then Exceptions, then remove Forumosa from the list - then allow cookies next time you log in).

That’s the first course of action. :wink:

What type of deodorant are you using?

I’ve been having the exact same problem as the OP recently. Don’t think I’ve changed anything significant on my end. The worst part is that, when I get stuck between log-in screens after hitting submit, everything that I’ve typed in the new draft PM or post is lost (“Back” simply generates another “login” screen).

This has been happening only since the recent server move. Never before. Coincidence? Maybe. Maybe not.

My sense is that it is a problem with the Forumosa server and needs to be fixed there. However, my temporary patch is to highlight and copy everything I type prior to clicking “Submit”. That way, instead of blowing a gasket when the software gets stuck in a login loop, I just snarl, open up a new PM window, paste my draft message there, and proceed.

EDIT: This thing acts like a timeout situation, whether or not that applies. Person logs in, starts to type a PM, etc., and before submitting, the server loses the login status, and so requests a login to access the PM functions.

Admins: Please look into this. It seems to affect a number of users and is a common, though not constant, occurence. Thanks.

[quote=“seeker4”]

My sense is that it is a problem with the Forumosa server and needs to be fixed there. However, my temporary patch is to highlight and copy everything I type prior to clicking “Submit”. That way, instead of blowing a gasket when the software gets stuck in a login loop, I just snarl, open up a new PM window, paste my draft message there, and proceed.

[/quote]That’s what I do as well. You can do a back page and usually you can retrieve what you typed as well.

This never happened to me before the server change either.

bobepine

Hitting the “Back” button has only worked once for me. Normally, I get trapped between two login screens.

(bump)

Admin: Can we get a reply to this issue please?

The Ho is far worse for this. Every time I even click on a link I get logged off. It’s been like that for months so I assume it’s not an easy one to fix.

I posted about it on their forum but got no response. It’s annoying as hell to post there because I have to log in for every page I visit, cut, copy and even then sometimes I get logged off when submitting. Then have to re-log in, paste again and retry. I don’t even read their forum anymore I got so annoyed.

bobepine

I’m not sure what the reason is for it. It doesn’t happen to me on any of the three computers I regularly log in on, but it’s obviously happening to some of you. Goose Egg (Tech Admin) is honeymooning until Sunday. I’ll get him up to speed when he comes back.

Folks, I have posted about this problem over here: phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.ph … 50#1952450

If you have more to add about it, please post on that forum :notworthy:

[quote=“bobepine”]The Ho is far worse for this. Every time I even click on a link I get logged off.

bobepine[/quote]

Very astute forum, that Ho.

Sewiously…happens to me on my office computer but not the one at home. I don’t want to use that ‘remember me’ function in the office in case anyone logs on as me and starts posting utterly inane crap thus sullying my good name.

:noway:

BroonAutologon

[quote=“BroonAle”]I don’t want to use that ‘remember me’ function in the office in case anyone logs on as me and starts posting utterly inane crap thus sullying my good name.

:noway:

BroonAutologon[/quote]

I hear ya. I mean…You do a good enough job at that already…You need no help in that department. :raspberry: :wink:

bobepine

[quote=“Goose Egg”]Folks, I have posted about this problem over here: phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.ph … 50#1952450

If you have more to add about it, please post on that forum :notworthy:[/quote]
JFYI, I have made the prescribed at the phpBB.com discussion I started. Please let me know if you’ve noticed a difference - that is, has the automatic logging off problem disappeared? [color=red]Please do not forget to clear your cookies (and reset your browser history, too) to make sure that the problem is connected to our website[/color] :sunglasses:

Hi boss,

It’s still doing it to me. :frowning: It was better for a while and in the last couple days I’m logged off against my will quite often again. Just so you know.

bobepine

I log on and see a message like this:

New since last visit 691

But when I try to view the new posts:

No topics or posts met your search criteria