Why does Japan get F35s and we only get F16s?

Part of it is that F-35 are far less cost efficient. They have to invest in stealth fighters sooner or later though.

That all sounds good, however I think the fishing boat was invisible and was thus hit. It wasn’t targetted at all.

The missile was accidentally launched is what i read. Course who knows. Maybe the Taiwan Navy really did target the fishing boat and accidentally let off a missile (very poor form indeed) or they did it intentionally to “scare” Chinese aircraft carriers, at the expense of a poor taiwan fishermans life !

More likely the missile was never locked onto a fishing boat (which was most likely not even on the radar) and was accidentally fired by some hack who was reaching for his HeySong Sah Shih. OR maybe an Apple Sidra.

The tree is not mute, but it is mute to you. It’s like someone had sex with the girl you liked in HSchool . Mute to you but they may have been pretty vocal.

1 Like

As for Japan getting the F35. Well Japan has had F15 for a long time and we have had the “first generation” F16. Which are now all very old. They really need to be retired, along with the Mirage 2000V.
what are they? Near 30 years old or nearer 40?

Our own IDF is also of that vintage. All those things are near expiry , actually past expiry.

What is the sound of one hand fapping?

Japan has earned its wings.

Taiwan has a long way to go, but will benefit from Japan’s gain.

Or , " I don’t fly" as it’s known here :wink:

1 Like

The story is well known, it was an accident. Probably the missile.did lock on a target it acquired itself, but who knows.

It seems to fly okay.
Better than no jets.

Yes, it was an accident. And what shocked the world is, (1) the missile was not programmed to find any specific target and (2) it searched and locked on a fish boat in the open sea.

There are several articles of people talking about specific details of the incident.
I am not sure how accurate they are, but they all generally painted the concept above.
Here is one for your reference.
shorturl.at/psF59

1 Like

You’re Israeli?

Taiwan has the only F-16 (F-16V) in the world so far with the new AESA radar. It’s the latest greatest radar. Radical upgrade from previous radars and capabilities.

2 Likes

More likely a Chinese mole agent fired the missile or gave the orders to have it fired, in order to create an incident. China doe slike to play victim and Taiwan hitting a poor fisherman is demoralizing for Taiwan and gives pride points to China.

1 Like

We still have boats and military stuff from WWII. Last time I went to Kinmen in an official transport, the plane dated from the Korean War.

I know those thinsg are sturdy and I trust previous builders more than recent ones. Their alliances were not divided.

The F-35 is obviously a superior aircraft.

IDF refers to Taiwan indigenous fighter which was actually the Northrop F20 indisguise

A missile that seeks its own target may not be the best thing to have

F-16V makes up a lot of ground on air-to-air and more defensive deployments but F-35 has superior stealth capabilities which are pretty useful for attacks.

my opinion - Japan owning F35s is the same as Taiwan owning them, in that Japan, an Ally, would come to Taiwan’s aid hopefully. SO Taiwan chooses the F16’s which are lower-cost proven aircraft and can get more units for the price - good to focus on quantity in this case. Furthermore – I think Japan has an aircraft carrier now so they would also be more capable to park F35’s anywhere if needed. Taiwan does not need an aircraft carrier…i think, and so no need for SVTOL capabilities or any new fancy stuff that comes with F35’s. Also F35’s will require bunch of new training programs and maintenance – better for a country less “on-the-brink” to take on these responsibilities.

I think you’re all missing the point about the F-35, which is not that it is a great stealth fighter (well, an OK stealth fighter) but that it sits in the middle of a whole array of super high tech other stuff (particularly information sharing networks and so on) which Taiwan does not have access to. So, they’re pretty much useless additions. Far better to get some F-22 instead. or even F-16 block 70/72 or even F-15s (which are still pretty much the world’s most versatile and reliable platform), like the newish F-15SE.

2 Likes

Cause Japanese Pilots don’t put Classified US made Cockpit and Helmet cams onto Instagram to impress chicks.

1 Like