Why does Taiwan have so many weird foreigners?

From my point of view Taiwan has so many western foreigners who are in competition of who can be the biggest Lao Dongxi.

The competition seems to revolve around who knows more or who is the most “integrated” into “society”. Which often means they let themselves be treated by their “boss” like a slave and take out their frustrations on others.

They often gate keep and try and defend the indefensible.

Many examples around. Facebook and Reddit are great examples. :joy: ask a question in the teaching groups and get ready to experience one of the most alternate realities on planet Taiwan.

The worst live in the big cities. The best western foreigners I’ve met have lived in small towns in the mountains. The best foreigners I’ve met have been from SEA. They have such a lovely friendly helpful outlook.

2 Likes

This is literally me! Maybe I should stop answering this way when people ask me why I first went to Taiwan? I never knew it was considered weird. I thought it was interesting! Oh well. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I’m a certified wierdo, and can’t wait to move to Taiwan.

2 Likes

Even your spelling is weird. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

What’s a spelling.

1 Like

There are a fair few wired weirdos in Taoyuan.

2 Likes

Look whose talking buddy. If if aint me it’s you.

1 Like

Taoyuan has been, historically speaking, the spiritual home of foreign weirdos in Taiwan. I believe the capital of this community is Chung-li (I have used the anachronistic romanization to preserve historical authenticity).

For weirdos with Taiwan nationality, there is some heavy competition across the island, but I think parts of the Han-dominated districts of Pingtung may possibly get the crown. There are also certainly a fair share of weirdos in my corner of the Taipei City!

Guy

5 Likes

You and your ifs and buts.

1 Like

G man’s escape.

G man? Wearing a G-string? And discovered the G-spot?

One English (18yo), one Pole (20yo), and two brothers surnamed 李, 20 and 17yo. They seem awfully young, maybe dual citizens that Taiwan doesn’t want to claim as theirs? Just guessing, happy to be corrected.

Gangs of Tian Mu.

The hard streets of Tian Mu yo.

1 Like

Gangs of Tian Mu could be a good movie title.

I’d pay money to watch it.

3 Likes

It does have a certain ring to it. Perhaps that is why it was repeated half a dozen odd times in the article text?

1 Like

Don’t mess with the TAS mofos

1 Like

You can get your face burned off in Tian Mu. Mind you, you have to be lying down on old people exercise equipment in the early hours of the morning. But it can happen.

1 Like

I know I’m an Oddball with a capital “O”.

I’m sitting here on my deck in the Hokkaido countryside drinking beer and grilling hamburgers on my Weber grill while my Japanese farmer neighbors drive by and give me a look like I’ve just arrived from Mars in a spaceship.

3 Likes

Sounds perfectly normal to me. At least your neighbors come outside. The only one who watches me grill on the weber is the neighbor dog.

4 Likes

I really freak ‘em out when I wave instead of bowing.

3 Likes

Do they sell those in Japan or did you import it? Man I would love to get a nice Weber grill here. Throw some Kingsford charcoal on it and grill up a nice filet mignon.

I shipped it to myself from Taiwan. There’s a Costco here now and I found out recently they’re selling US-made gas grills. I’m getting one but first have to make sure I can get compatible gas canisters here.

2 Likes