Why does Taiwan have so many weird foreigners?

I’m guessing the weirdness isn’t more than home but rather more concentrated and sometimes amplified.

For some, living abroad in a completely different culture exacerbates certain coping skills that make you weird or gives some licence to act a complete fool because (aside from drug trafficking) what’s the worse that could happen? Sent home with tales of your foreign misadventures? ¯_(ツ)_/¯.

Then there just your basic fool, who no matter were they are, they’re weird.

AFIK, compared to other developed/industrial countries, Taiwan is still rather lax when it comes to attracting foreign talent. When I was there, it was still easy to land and find work without a degree. Can’t do that in Japan or Korea AFIKA.

1 Like

Not like that anymore.

2 Likes

I think though it takes someone very high in trait openness to move to another country. I just moved back here with my wife…Yah, you definitely get the feeling from people who have been here a long time that they exist in their own bubble. Totally different feeling from back home. Kinda like with the Amish in the States.

How is the bubble in Taiwan different from the one let’s say in the US(if that’s where you’re from)? Because in Taiwan I had a more diverse group of associates but in the US everyone seemly is only intrested in interacting with their class/race/gender/sexual identity/etc.

IJA

1 Like

Some are in a bubble or clique. And some are like me… married off with a kid, domesticated and an increasingly anti-social homebody who’d rather stay at home than go out most nights.

3 Likes

Wanna see a weird foreigner? Some only have to look in the mirror :sunglasses:

Oh that was not directed at anyone

Maybe it’s just cuz it’s hard to find someone in exactly the same situ
Or similar

Similarity breeds friendship

1 Like

Ever meet these European guys selling cookies and pastries on the street corner? Weird man weird!

1 Like

Why ? Selling on the street is common here.

1 Like

Maybe he wants to bake ?
Gotta start somewhere.
You forget most of these ppl have moved to a foreign country with little support, no mommy and daddy giving them free stuff like houses etc.

Doing internet sales is common. They then meet their customers in given locations .
Taiwanese so the same thing also.

Maybe the weird thing is those Taiwanese who claim to be masters of European baking and cooking after taking one course and then coming back and call themselves ‘shi fu’? Mr Mark is a Taiwanese lady. :joy:

2 Likes

You meet many foreigners here whose mommy and daddy support them? Damn I’ve been shortchanged in life.

1 Like

I haven’t, I’ve met lots of locals like that though. I fail to see how selling stuff on a street is weird .

2 Likes

Maybe…Is that weird though ?

Or just beyond the usual sights you are accustomed to here ?

If you think that’s weird then you haven’t been here long enough.

2 Likes

Well you’re right there is a group far weirder …: those colossally childish foreigners who do the tv chat shows rehashing the decades old cliches now those people are just weird to the bone weeeeeeeird!

It’s a weird thing about Taiwan alright. :sunglasses:

What is this?

The MBA Taiwan thread is on the other page

Better than hustling opioids. IJS lol

Yeah OGTOE