Why does Taiwan have so many weird foreigners?

“In that direction,” the Cat said, waving its right paw round, “lives a Hatter: and in that direction,” waving the other paw, “lives a March Hare. Visit either you like: they’re both mad.”
“But I don’t want to go among mad people,” Alice remarked.
“Oh, you ca’n’t help that,” said the Cat: “we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad.”
“How do you know I’m mad?” said Alice.
“You must be,” said the Cat, “or you wouldn’t have come here.” —Chapter 6, Pig and Pepper

4 Likes

1 Like

HEA_2014-04-14_LIF_008_31207881_I1
wait, which episode?

1 Like

You’re lucky!

To the original question:

In my home country, I had someone scream in my ear on the whisper quiet morning peak hour train one day because they wanted to get off, and I was so bold as to be standing in their path. Another time on the train, on the way home one of those religious nutter end of the world types was screaming at everyone in the carriage pacing up and down, randomly getting in people’s faces. He said we were all going to die, I suppose he was right, just not about the timing. Another time a guy came on the train who had obviously soiled his pants, and he wanted to make friends with me.

None of these things have happened to me in Taiwan.

Conclusion: weirdness prevalence among foreigners is probably lower in Taiwan, for this N=1, poorly designed, unscientific, observational study.

Actually I would say most of the foreigners I’ve seen around seem pretty Joe-average to me. Maybe that makes me the weird one? The OP’s question rings of narcissism to me. Thought I had gotten away from that…

3 Likes

:+1:

Really? That’s probably because you haven’t run into me!

1 Like

Good point. It’s really weird when you put it that way. Even the yellow fever/asian fetish argument doesn’t hold water. It’s not like there are not a lot of Asians in developed Western countries.

What the fuck is with all the gravedigging lately?

3 Likes

I’m new and have a lot of free time. Just checking old threads. Because the new ones are not really interesting.

9 Likes

I’m on board with it. Anything but the Covid scairdy cat threads.

4 Likes

You’re directly replying to someone who doesn’t post here anymore.

Maybe take up crochet.

Or just start a thread on yellow fever.

2 Likes

It’s the worst kind of grave dig though because he’s replying to a post way up thread that you have to go back and read to get any context.

Why does Taiwan have so many weird foreigners?

There are a few who lack social filters, for sure

1 Like

Nice necro, so might add as I just came across this one:

4 Likes

Sounds like you ran into that Canadian dude, Dennis. He certainly skewed the numbers regarding foreigners fighting in Taiwan.

Seconded!

Briefly (thankfully) met one in Kaohsiung. Very off vibe.

1 Like

Having lived in London as a foreigner, I can definitely confirm that Taiwan has more weirdos. One comes to mind, earnestly believing and spouting 9/11 CIA conspiracy stories. Totally inane. Thankfully, this was pre-COVID or you could be sure he would be all over that as well. To top it off he made pathetic attempts at chatting up my wife.

Then again, how about weird Taiwanese? Like the one random in a bar, who after some chatting wanted to date/marry my daughter (obviously not present). Who was 8…

2 Likes

If you run into a weirdo in the morning he’s a weirdo, but if you run into weirdos all day…

5 Likes