Why does the search function not work sometimes?

I’ve noticed this a few times in the past, but this is the first time I could be bothered to ask about it. I was just trying to find this previous post of mine from March 10 using terms I remember probably using like “runny nose”, and it doesn’t show up at all in the search results:

It also doesn’t show up using other relatively uncommon words from that post, like “nose”, “handful”, “congestion”, or “Thailand”, or after appending “@andrew” after the search term to search only my own posts. The post in question is in the Taiwan coronavirus developments thread, as opposed to a temp thread or anything.

Why is that? Shouldn’t every post be searchable? @tempogain

1 Like

I think you need to select “latest post”. Otherwise I think it only turns up each thread a maximum of one time (you have another post meeting the conditions in that thread). If I search on “@andrew runny nose” with “latest post” selected, this thread turns up first and your linked post 2nd.

2 Likes

But I did choose “latest post” in my screenshot above…? Do you mean I should change that to “relevance”?

No, “latest post”. In your screenshot, “@andrew” isn’t specified? Otherwise, not sure! It’s turning up for me, so I’m not sure why it isn’t for you.

1 Like

This is what I always use actually.

No, it isn’t, but I did do it after and the post wasn’t showing up. (I just didn’t want to post so many screenshots showing the same point.)

I think this might be it actually? If the search term appears multiple times in a thread, it seems to only show up one case for each thread? And if no user is specified, that post might also be from another user.

2 Likes

For reference, this is what I’m getting

I guess there’s some kind of voodoo involved, sounds typical

1 Like

I get the same now for “runny nose”. Some of the messing around I did was also was shorter terms, where even with “Latest Post” and “@andrew” it appears that only one post per thread is shown:

I guess that explains it. Thanks!

2 Likes

Yeah probably it’s designed to conserve resources. They’re pretty big on that.

You might have better luck with an “in this topic” search in the thread itself if you know which one it is.

2 Likes