Why doesn't Taiwan use African or Central American laborers?

As I know, Taiwan has/had diplomatic relations with several small African and Central American countries. So why have they never allowed them over to work on the MRT projects or in factories like Thais, Indonesians and Philippinos?

good question… from what i’ve learned Taiwan has full diplomatic relations with 12 of the 33 latin American countries and six in Africa. There are over 300,000 foreign workers in Taiwan, consisting of Thais, Filippinos, Indonesians, Mongolians, and Vietnamese…not to mention the white collar throngs of Canadians, Americans, etc etc… Apparently, there are no workers, either in services, or construction, from either central America of Africa. There must be some information on hand explaining why this is the case… right?

I do know there are a number of Central or South Americans down in PingDong studying at an agricultural college or something. But no laborers that I have ever heard of.

i dunno. proximity and guanxi would be my guess. it is alot cheaper to get a concrete jockey from asia than central america/africa. plus, having an recruiting office in thailand is an excuse to go to thailand. if you were a taiwanese laoban, where would your rather R&R, thailand or columbia?

Plus, wouldn’t most African laborers be black? :snivel:

Columbia has pretty decent bars and some great restaurants as well as USC and the Riverbanks Zoo.

columbiasc.net/
riverbanks.org/

And of course Hootie and The Blowfish are from Columbia.

hootie.com/

Ahh, last time I looked they were. Of course there are others shades, brown, coco, latte, carmel, chesnut, blackberry, tan and so on…

The only Africans in services I know of are teachers and engineers. All or most of them are South Africans. The majority of them are White, some are Coloured (acceptable term in South Africa) and a few are Black.

Big black African labourers too scary. Nice pliant Thais and Filipinos can be abused with much less trouble. Just wait 'til they can get their hands on mainlanders! They’re not even considered human, and can be turned into cat food when they’re finished with them. You don’t even have to pay them or bother with “rights” or anything. Look at China fercrissakes.

[quote=“Lord Lucan”]Big black African labourers too scary. [/quote] :tic: Whattcha talkin about Willis?

It pains me to say it but this is probably the reason.

You’d think with the diplomatic relations they’d have some priority even with the distance factor. The only thing I have heard from some locals is; “ummm…They are too different culturally”.
So, what about African students from the countries they have full diplomatic relations with? See many?
In China there are quite a few studying.

On the MRT line right around the corner from my house there are a number of Africans working construction (semi-skilled labor; what I have actually seen them do is welding and pipe fitting) I presume they are Africans because I hear them talk to each other in the 7-11 (and sometimes say “hi” to me) and they have “British-French” (i.e. not American) accents; I realize of course that could mean they are from Britian or France, but if I had to bet money, I would bet somewhere in Africa.

Mescans wouldn’t put up with the crap Taiwanese place on their hired help.
Besides…it too easy to sneak into the USA and earn real money.

It pains me to say it but this is probably the reason.[/quote]

Just another view that perhaps it may not be a racial thing, as perhaps that may not be the case.

A. Consider the prices of air tickets. Someone has to pay for it, be that the company doing the hiring (probably) or the employee. Flights from South East Asia are cheap as to be laughable. A ticket from Johannesburg in South Africa is more expensive than a ticket to New York.

B. All foreign laborers need to be tested for AIDS. Taiwan’s perogative. The fact is AIDS cases in African countries vary anywhere from 25% to 33%. These are government figures and the actual incidence is probably a lot higher.

C. South East Asia has unskilled, semi-skilled and skilled laborers to spare. African countries don’t. What they have they need and want to keep at home. Also, although migrant labor is an integral part of African culture in the last two hundred years, this usually means living in Mozambique and Zimbabwe (or as far afield as Nigeria) and working in South Africa. I’m willing to wager these laborers would much rather travel to South Africa and work there than half way around the world to Taiwan.

D. Even a country like South Africa (being the industrial powerhouse of Africa) is suffering fro a brain drain. That is skilled, semi-skilled and unskilled laborers leaving the country to seek employment elsewhere. And don’t even think this is a white exodus only. Many black people (most notably nurses, doctors, engineers, skilled and semiskilled laborers in several vital fields, accountants and the like) leave for the UK, Australia, New Zealand and even Canada and the US. There are daily recruitment ads in local newspapers pilfering these people. If SA is having a hard time losing these people other African nations will be even harder hit by this and could less afford it. Currently SA is trying very hard to get people to come back and are even recruiting foreigners to try and solve the skills shortage.

So from an African perspective, we aren’t shouting “Racism!!”. We’re just trying to hang on to our skilled people as best we can.

Perhaps Taiwan corporations invest in these latin American and African countries because of their cheap labor forces. If so, then it wouldn’t make much sense for these corporations to import them-- skilled labor, to Taiwan. Still, most of the 300,000 plus foreign workers in Taiwan work as maids or are in manufacting. And most, I presume, are women. I would think that there are thousands of women from these African and Latin American countries who would be willing to work in Taiwan to support their families. There must be some reasons why they aren’t here.

Once again, African women (defined for the purposes of this post as specifically black women of Africa - born and living in Africa - with a traditional African culture distinct from women of African or Caribbean descent born and or living for an extended period in North America or Europe) will be willing to conduct in migrant labor. However, they will restrict THEMSELVES by distance more severly than African men (same definition as for African women). Although they may be involded in migrant labor they will not be far enough away so as not to return home to their families at least once a month and for all important holidays such as Easter, Christmas and New Years. Therefore, the chances of your average African women hauling her ass all the way to Taiwan to look after Taiwanese kids and old folks is less than nothing. Who will pay for her to regularly return to SA or Zimbabwe or Kenya at a round trip price of NT25 000? Her employer? Not bloody likely.

There’s your reason. Nothing sinister. Our African women (although they too are willing to suffer some discomfort in supporting their families) have other options within Africa, or are not that mercenary as to remove themselves from their families for periods of up to a year for an indefinite period of time.

Once again, African women (defined for the purposes of this post as specifically black women of Africa - born and living in Africa - with a traditional African culture distinct from women of African or Caribbean descent born and or living for an extended period in North America or Europe) will be willing to conduct in migrant labor. However, they will restrict THEMSELVES by distance more severly than African men (same definition as for African women). Although they may be involded in migrant labor they will not be far enough away so as not to return home to their families at least once a month and for all important holidays such as Easter, Christmas and New Years. Therefore, the chances of your average African women hauling her ass all the way to Taiwan to look after Taiwanese kids and old folks is less than nothing. Who will pay for her to regularly return to SA or Zimbabwe or Kenya at a round trip price of NT25 000? Her employer? Not bloody likely.

There’s your reason. Nothing sinister. Our African women (although they too are willing to suffer some discomfort in supporting their families) have other options within Africa, or are not that mercenary as to remove themselves from their families for periods of up to a year for an indefinite period of time.[/quote]

I think things have changed a bit since 1994. I know there are quite a number of female African nurses working in the Middle-East. I happen to have a female African co-worker from S.A.

A lot depends on your definition of “African”. If “African” means “a person whose family has lived in Africa for several generations”, then there are many Africans in Taiwan. If “African” means “a person who has African DNA”, then there are quite a lot of Africans in Taiwan. If “African” means “a person whose culture was developed in Africa”, then there are thousands of Africans in Taiwan. If “African” means all of the above, then there are still quite a number of Africans here.

[quote=“AAF”]
A lot depends on your definition of “African”. If “African” means “a person whose family has lived in Africa for several generations”, then there are many Africans in Taiwan. If “African” means “a person who has African DNA”, then there are quite a lot of Africans in Taiwan. If “African” means “a person whose culture was developed in Africa”, then there are thousands of Africans in Taiwan. If “African” means all of the above, then there are still quite a number of Africans here.[/quote]

That’s a little overboard. I think bismark means someone who is black and is African by birth.

[quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“AAF”]
A lot depends on your definition of “African”. If “African” means “a person whose family has lived in Africa for several generations”, then there are many Africans in Taiwan. If “African” means “a person who has African DNA”, then there are quite a lot of Africans in Taiwan. If “African” means “a person whose culture was developed in Africa”, then there are thousands of Africans in Taiwan. If “African” means all of the above, then there are still quite a number of Africans here.[/quote]

That’s a little overboard. I think bismark means someone who is black and is African by birth.[/quote]

Why is it overboard? How do you define that properly? I think I know what you mean. If you look Black, you are African. If you look White, you cannot be African.